Author Topic: And Then the Breitbart Lynch Mob Came for Me  (Read 804 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
And Then the Breitbart Lynch Mob Came for Me
« on: February 12, 2017, 02:20:52 am »
For 15 years, I’ve spoken out against executive overreach. But in the Trump era, even theoretical criticism puts a target on your back.

Here’s how lynch mobs form, in the age of the alt-right and “alternative facts.”

First, you inadvertently wave a red flag at an arena full of bulls. Then you sit back and wait for the internet to do its dark magic.

In my case, the red flag was a few paragraphs at the end of a recent column, speculating on what would happen if Donald Trump truly and dangerously lost his marbles. I wondered about one “possibility … that until recently I would have said was unthinkable in the United States of America: a military coup, or at least a refusal by military leaders to obey certain orders”:

The principle of civilian control of the military has been deeply internalized by the U.S. military, which prides itself on its nonpartisan professionalism.… But Trump … [is] thin-skinned, erratic, and unconstrained — and his unexpected, self-indulgent pronouncements are reportedly sending shivers through even his closest aides.

What would top U.S. military leaders do if given an order that struck them as not merely ill-advised, but dangerously unhinged? An order that wasn’t along the lines of “Prepare a plan to invade Iraq if Congress authorizes it based on questionable intelligence,” but “Prepare to invade Mexico tomorrow!” or “Start rounding up Muslim Americans and sending them to Guantanamo!” or “I’m going to teach China a lesson — with nukes!”

It’s impossible to say, of course. The prospect of American military leaders responding to a presidential order with open defiance is frightening — but so, too, is the prospect of military obedience to an insane order. After all, military officers swear to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, not the president. For the first time in my life, I can imagine plausible scenarios in which senior military officials might simply tell the president: “No, sir. We’re not doing that,” to thunderous applause from the New York Times editorial board.

[/i]
Needless to say, when I wrote this, it didn’t occur to me that anyone could construe it as a call for a military coup. Perhaps this should have occurred to me, given the current state of American political discourse, but it didn’t. I received a couple of polite email messages from readers who argued that I shouldn’t have even raised this as a hypothetical possibility, but most initial comments came from readers who took what I wrote in the spirit in which it was intended: What might happen if the U.S. president gave an order that was truly, frighteningly unhinged, and all normal checks and balances had failed? Could we imagine a military refusal to obey the commander in chief? Should we imagine it?

Those are serious questions, and they deserve serious discussion. After all, America was founded by men who came, slowly but surely, to believe that they could no longer obey their government. From the perspective of American political mythology, they were heroes; from the British point of view, they were traitors. (Remember Patrick Henry? “If this be treason, make the most of it.”) With our history, it’s surely important to ask ourselves whether something like that could ever take place again. Political theorists continue to debate the propriety and role of disobedience and resistance to authority. Shouldn’t we debate those questions, too?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/06/and-then-the-breitbart-lynch-mob-came-for-me-bannon-trolls-trump/
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: And Then the Breitbart Lynch Mob Came for Me
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 02:46:26 am »
Culture is becoming extremely reactionary. People can't critique, discuss, and debate. Instead, it is emotionally react, declare war, and pile on at any perceived slight.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 03:12:32 am »
Culture is becoming extremely reactionary. People can't critique, discuss, and debate. Instead, it is emotionally react, declare war, and pile on at any perceived slight.

Agreed.

This is a point I am trying to make. And one of the reasons I have an interest in the Illuminati/cabal/globalists stories that we talk about with @Quix.

People are becoming more unliterate (not illiterate). They can read and write, but I propose, as with Future Shock, they are in a state of information overload. The rise of fake news as a planned obfuscation to heighten the need for the group think mentality and the group control that @CatherineofAragon would come to know if she looked at the globalist "conspiracy" stories as a study in mind control. What groups are trying to control other groups and the ways they are doing it.

The people I try to talk to, off this site, are woefully ignorant of what is going on in the world. I see them increasingly  using the big social media sites as their information source.  Especially Facebook.

And something @EC  is talking about. The lack of coherency and the cataloging of information.

Throw in that people are too lazy anymore to do any critical thinking and I predict for the people who try (and I am trying, little though that may seem) that in the final analysis we are screwed.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 05:43:14 am »
Agreed.

This is a point I am trying to make. And one of the reasons I have an interest in the Illuminati/cabal/globalists stories that we talk about with @Quix.

People are becoming more unliterate (not illiterate). They can read and write, but I propose, as with Future Shock, they are in a state of information overload. The rise of fake news as a planned obfuscation to heighten the need for the group think mentality and the group control that @CatherineofAragon would come to know if she looked at the globalist "conspiracy" stories as a study in mind control. What groups are trying to control other groups and the ways they are doing it.

The people I try to talk to, off this site, are woefully ignorant of what is going on in the world. I see them increasingly  using the big social media sites as their information source.  Especially Facebook.

And something @EC  is talking about. The lack of coherency and the cataloging of information.

Throw in that people are too lazy anymore to do any critical thinking and I predict for the people who try (and I am trying, little though that may seem) that in the final analysis we are screwed.

INDEED. So many propaganda lobotomized clueless idiots are populating our culture at increasing numbers and intensities.

Sometimes, sharing a list of the quote of famous globalists helps wake folks up. IF they are the least bit fair-minded with any critical thinking skills left at all--not at all a given any more.

Sometimes I have to select 5-7 of the most telling by the most famous to get them to read them and seriously consider them.

But most of the time, they seem to be lost causes.

They will appear, in due course, on the tables of the Morlachs for dinner in one form or another. Will be interesting to see where they lay the blame for their predictable extermination.

They also are clueless about history--where all rising tyrants are careful to execute their early followers as they know that treasonous idiots are too hazardous to keep  around in the new regime.
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 07:29:46 am »
Anybody who calls for any sort of military coup...

I would have fire her immediately if I owned the magazine. The second I read her screed.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:50:56 am »

@bigheadfred

It's a topic of interest to me. I have mild OCD - it's nothing crippling, I don't need to wash my hands 17 times before eating or check the doors are locked three times before bed - but I need things to be organized. I also love to learn. About 12 years ago, I noticed I was spending more and more time organising and cataloguing my notes, links, etc than I was actually studying and thinking about them, so I audited a library science course. Trying to see how the pros do it, you know? Use some of their techniques to speed up and improve my rather idiosyncratic filing system. That's when I bumped into information overload as a serious academic concern for the first time.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 01:18:39 pm »
@bigheadfred

It's a topic of interest to me. I have mild OCD - it's nothing crippling, I don't need to wash my hands 17 times before eating or check the doors are locked three times before bed - but I need things to be organized. I also love to learn. About 12 years ago, I noticed I was spending more and more time organising and cataloguing my notes, links, etc than I was actually studying and thinking about them, so I audited a library science course. Trying to see how the pros do it, you know? Use some of their techniques to speed up and improve my rather idiosyncratic filing system. That's when I bumped into information overload as a serious academic concern for the first time.

I look at it in more simple terms. The five P's-Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance, having my ducks in a row, being able to wipe my own butt. My boss says I am a good "process" guy. And co-workers are amazed at how much work I can do in a day. That is because I believe in organizing>planning>processing=production. Add in the fact I am lazy. Meaning I hate fighting my way through a mountain of crap that I created. Doing things my way leads to less stress and frustration.

Einstein said, "“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?”

It is a sign you were able to get your work done for the day and get to go fishing, Albert.