Author Topic: From 2012: Some people never find the love of their lives. And live to tell about it.  (Read 843 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/some-people-never-find-the-love-of-their-lives-and-live-to-tell-about-it/2012/01/13/gIQAB0S43Q_story.html

We talk about the delay of marriage or the rise of cohabitation and single motherhood. Depending on our perspective, we cheer the broadening definitions of family or bemoan the breakdown of the nuclear unit.

But the cousin or neighbor or co-worker who always seems to be on his or her own? We don’t give them much thought.

It’s easier not to. Perhaps as much as religion, our society hinges on belief in romantic love. How many songs and novels revolve around the long search and eventual discovery of a beloved? The phrase “happily ever after” implies a singular outcome: two lives made ever better by virtue of their union.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I found this article five years ago. I'll be honest with you, the scenario within has been a big fear of mine, and a lot of the anecdotes parallel my life story quite eerily.

Even without that angle, I figured it'd be an interesting topic of discussion.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

I found this article five years ago. I'll be honest with you, the scenario within has been a big fear of mine, and a lot of the anecdotes parallel my life story quite eerily.

Even without that angle, I figured it'd be an interesting topic of discussion.

meh.

Romantic love is overrated. That isn't love.

Offline Suppressed

the scenario within has been a big fear of mine

You aren't alone...no pun intended. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn