Author Topic: She asked me about getting a gun...  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: She asked me about getting a gun...
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 07:26:58 pm »
I bought the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard M&P .380.  Perfect for me.  Nothing to cock, which is good because my hands are not as strong as they used to be and I've injured my right hand.  I struggled cocking any of the semi automatics.  It has a laser sight and it is dead simple to operate, clean and lubricate.  It will fit nicely in my purse when I get my concealed carry.  Best of all I put a big ragged hole right over the center of the target the first time I was at the gun range.

I bought a family membership at the gun range which allows husband and I to practice frequently  and to call on the instructors for help free of charge. 

I am comfortable and confident with this gun, which is what you want for your friend.  Ladies, especially older ladies may need something different than the average man.  You want her to have something that she is confident enough to use when the situation calls for it.

I think you made an excellent choice.  For inexperienced shooters who want it just for personal protection, a laser sight is a no brainer.  At the distances at which you would be aiming, there's no point trying to use the sights.  Just put the dot on the bad guy and keep pulling the trigger until they go down.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 07:53:55 pm »
I just put a laser on my Kel-tec P32. I just need to go sight it in now. I'm still not used to having to go to a range. Civilization has a habit of taking over. Back when I was regularly shooting my S&W Chief's Special, I could easily instinctively kick the can down the road with it. But I also ran about 10K rounds thru it. None of it at a range though. I shot at the many of the sand pits close by. After each shooting session, I would collect as many lead bullets I could find, that the rain brings to the surface. And cast them back up. And reloading with 3.2g Bullseye, I didn't have to worry about hardness. I was loading 38's for cheaper than .22s.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 06:33:26 pm »
If she's getting older she might want to consider a small six shot revolver.  A lot of older people find working to action on a semi-auto requires more dexterity/coordination than they can muster.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 06:36:09 pm »
If she's getting older she might want to consider a small six shot revolver.  A lot of older people find working to action on a semi-auto requires more dexterity/coordination than they can muster.

I don't know nothing about "older people", but it is hard to pull back on a semi-auto.  The revolver is super-simple and just needs to be cocked.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 06:37:38 pm »
I don't know nothing about "older people", but it is hard to pull back on a semi-auto.  The revolver is super-simple and just needs to be cocked.

I was just going by his description of his friend.

Difficulty working the slide is the reason my wife has me hunting for a revolver for her to carry concealed.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 07:08:13 pm »
I was just going by his description of his friend.

Difficulty working the slide is the reason my wife has me hunting for a revolver for her to carry concealed.

I was being ironic, @txradioguy.  I like the revolver because I no longer have cartilage in my thumb and it really hurts to pull the slide. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 07:09:50 pm »
I was being ironic, @txradioguy.  I like the revolver because I no longer have cartilage in my thumb and it really hurts to pull the slide.

Ahhh ok gotcha.  :beer:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 12:35:28 am »

Good idea. 

Unfortunately, her local range doesn't seem to rent out any revolvers...can you believe it?!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 01:14:28 am »
Thanks for sharing in my joy and the advice.

Since I'm across the country from her, I'm relying on a gun shop to help, but making sure she feels cofortable with what she gets.  And yup...no hand cannons!

@Suppressed

Think "revolver". A 5 or 6 shot 32 or 38 Special with a 3 inch barrel,hammer shround,and no rear sights. Only a groove cut down the top strap. Something light and small that she will actually be willing to carry every day that is so safe to operate anybody can handle one safely.

Revolvers are the original point and click devices.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2017, 01:15:45 am »
Good idea. 

Unfortunately, her local range doesn't seem to rent out any revolvers...can you believe it?!

That is odd to say the least. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 01:35:49 am »
Totally agree!  I really like this one:  http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=Taurus+Model+85+Ultralite+.38+Special

Think something like this with the hammer shroud. She can draw it from a pocket or her purse,and not have to worry about the hammer hanging up and preventing her from being able to pull the gun.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/colt-cobra-38-special-6-shot-revolver-with-hammer-shroud-review-and-range-report.743124/

Tell her to look for one with the 2-1/2 inch or 3 inch barrel. They are MUCH easier to aim and hit your target with than the shorter barrels,and to look for one with rubber grips.

Also,Smith and Wesson makes one with the shroud a part of the gun. Compare them with the Colts,compare the prices,and most important of all,tell her to compare how they feel in her hand and how naturally they point for her.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:38:45 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!