Author Topic: Gorsuch Not Easy to Pigeonhole on Gay Rights, Friends Say  (Read 1619 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Gorsuch Not Easy to Pigeonhole on Gay Rights, Friends Say
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:44:34 pm »
....In nominating Judge Gorsuch, Mr. Trump has picked a man with impeccable legal credentials and cast him in the mold of the justice he would succeed, the late Antonin Scalia, who once accused the court of bending to a “homosexual agenda” and voted against legalizing same-sex marriage. Judge Gorsuch has said he cried when he learned of Justice’s Scalia’s death.

Like Justice Scalia, Judge Gorsuch regards himself as an originalist, meaning he tries to interpret the Constitution based on the text as written by the founding fathers. But he is three decades younger than Justice Scalia was when he died. He has had two openly gay clerks, and he lives with his wife, Louise, and their two daughters in the liberal Boulder, Colo., where his church, St. John’s Episcopal, welcomes gay members....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/11/us/politics/gorsuch-gay-rights.html?ref=politics&_r=0

Offline r9etb

Re: Gorsuch Not Easy to Pigeonhole on Gay Rights, Friends Say
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:46:58 pm »
He has had two openly gay clerks, and he lives with his wife, Louise, and their two daughters in the liberal Boulder, Colo., where his church, St. John’s Episcopal, welcomes gay members....

Oh noes!  Gorsuch knows gay people!  And (GASP!!!) he apparently even likes some of them! 8888crybaby

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 09:02:17 pm »
Holding two or more possibly opposing views at once:

1. Gays deserve to be treated like anybody else, on their merits. Not discriminated against in the workplace, for instance.

2. They can be your friends,  and colleagues.

3. Gays do NOT deserve SPECIAL treatment or rights.

4. Gay unions can be arranged in legal terms. The ancient institution of marriage is for heterosexual families, as always.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 09:51:16 pm »
Oh noes!  Gorsuch knows gay people!  And (GASP!!!) he apparently even likes some of them! 8888crybaby

What's next---we're going to find out he knows a transsexual? A labour leader? A square dance caller? A jazz musician?
Played punk rock when he was a teenager? Played Little League baseball? Wrote a book report on Green Eggs and
Ham
? Owns and can play a Gibson Les Paul? A vibraphone? A synthesiser? A melodica? Likes old-time radio?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:19:49 pm »
A melodica?

That's where I draw the line.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:35:49 pm »

I know gay people also.  I have relatives and good friends who are gay.

I'm not sure what gay rights are now.

According to Hollywood, gays have the right to be featured in every movie or TV show. It gets a little old when one considers that gays are a very small... but vocal... part of the population.

Liberals started attacking Gorsuch immediately, but now conservatives have jumped on that bandwagon.

He is Episcopalian.  So am I, but I am conservative and I believe he is too, in the sense that he will not rule based on bias or personal preferences.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 10:46:39 pm »
As long as he doesn't rule in any way but Constitutional.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:02:04 pm »
That's where I draw the line.

:beer:

(Actually, I happen to own a melodica, a good Hohner, I use it on some of the home demos I make
for the music I write for my blues group, since I can't play harmonica worth squat . . . )
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:03:18 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 12:55:01 am »
:beer:

(Actually, I happen to own a melodica, a good Hohner, I use it on some of the home demos I make
for the music I write for my blues group, since I can't play harmonica worth squat . . . )

Dang.  Too bad you're too far away to drink beer with....

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 02:24:24 am »
Dang.  Too bad you're too far away to drink beer with....

Amen!  :beer:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 02:38:45 am »
Every church should welcome all people.  Where they go wrong is gay clergy.  It shows that they are weak in faith to accept a new life in Christ.  I don't think alcoholics or people with any kind of addictions to anything, sex or otherwiswe could be considered leaders in a church.  They just are not ready.  Doesn't mean they are bad.  Just aren't leaders for the church.  Mature and righteous people who exemplify a changed life.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:39:28 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 03:02:39 am »
The court should reflect America, instead it seems like Presidents try to pick all-stars, highly accredited individuals.