Author Topic: Libertarian ticket cost Trump the popular vote  (Read 1197 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Libertarian ticket cost Trump the popular vote
« on: February 11, 2017, 05:00:57 pm »
This article makes the major mistake most claims like this do- assuming that those should have been Trump votes by default and they were somehow 'taken'.  It is actually an elementary logic error.  I can confirm that most Libertarians I know, Republicans that turned Libertarian, or Republicans that voted Libertarian this past election, were equally disgusted with both Hillary and Trump and their votes would not have gone to either even if there wasn't a Libertarian option.

....In short, if the Johnson-Weld ticket had not run, Donald Trump would have won the popular vote. Given the Green Party's anemic showing and its great reluctance to support Hillary Clinton under any circumstance, it is very likely Donald Trump would have still won the popular vote even if the Green Party failed to field a candidate. In addition, Mr. Trump would have rolled up an even larger Electoral College margin, as the additional votes would have likely flipped New Hampshire, Maine, and Minnesota to his column......

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/libertarian-ticket-cost-trump-the-popular-vote/article/2614458?custom_click=rss

Offline Suppressed

Re: Libertarian ticket cost Trump the popular vote
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:26:37 pm »
This article makes the major mistake most claims like this do- assuming that those should have been Trump votes by default and they were somehow 'taken'.  It is actually an elementary logic error.  I can confirm that most Libertarians I know, Republicans that turned Libertarian, or Republicans that voted Libertarian this past election, were equally disgusted with both Hillary and Trump and their votes would not have gone to either even if there wasn't a Libertarian option.

Exactly right.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:29:22 pm »
When that guy in Utah came out saying he was trying to blow the election for trump it really soured me on that kind of thinking. Imo, he wasn't trying to help do something FOR fixing this country. He was being a turd in the punchbowl. We have plenty of those already.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 05:54:25 pm »
A good chunk of those Libertarians would vote Libertarian regardless of what Republican was running, but you can't say the same about US Evan McMullin voters, 700,000 of us.

First time in my 40 years of voting I wrote a name in, and I bet most of that 700,000 have the same story.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 05:58:25 pm »
A good chunk of those Libertarians would vote Libertarian regardless of what Republican was running, but you can't say the same about US Evan McMullin voters, 700,000 of us.

First time in my 40 years of voting I wrote a name in, and I bet most of that 700,000 have the same story.

What did McMullin bring to the table you found worth casting a vote for him?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 08:47:27 pm »
No, Trump did not need a popular vote to win the Presidency.

What idiot began thinking this was important to elect a President anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:42 pm »
I would venture to guess that, based on previous elections, even if the big-L's hadn't been a factor, about a quarter of them would have voted for the ticket anyway, and the other 3/4 would have left the ballot blank, found another protest vote or stayed home. The big-L's typically get 1% of the vote or so regardless from their true believers.

Note that Johnson/Weld had their best performances in states that were not considered competitive. The ticket got most of their votes from people whose votes weren't really going to make a difference anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 08:50:16 pm »
When that guy in Utah came out saying he was trying to blow the election for trump it really soured me on that kind of thinking. Imo, he wasn't trying to help do something FOR fixing this country. He was being a turd in the punchbowl. We have plenty of those already.
At least McMullin went about it in a way that wasn't going to increase Hillary's chances of winning. For that I give him credit.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 08:55:24 pm »

:beer:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 09:11:39 pm »
At least McMullin went about it in a way that wasn't going to increase Hillary's chances of winning. For that I give him credit.

You mean by trying to win states that didn't have enough electoral votes to put her over the top?

geronl

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 09:19:28 pm »
How dare people have choices!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 09:22:42 pm »

Yup.

Most of that vote was more anti-Trump/Hillary than pro-Libertarian.

Conservatives had no real choice in this election.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 09:30:36 pm »
How dare people have choices!

This election.  There was no choice.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 09:37:41 pm »
This article continues the misconception that the popular vote matters. It don't.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 09:44:27 pm »
Yup.

Most of that vote was more anti-Trump/Hillary than pro-Libertarian.

Conservatives had no real choice in this election.

Neither did libertarians, if you think closer---Gary Johnson and Bill Weld, if anything, were way closer to being Rockefeller Republican
types than they were straight-through libertarian.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 09:45:19 pm »
This election.  There was no choice.

Sure there was, when all was said and done---it was between Robespierre and Queen Athaliah, God help us. 

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 02:51:24 am »
You mean by trying to win states that didn't have enough electoral votes to put her over the top?
By choosing as his state, one that votes Republican by at least 2-to-1 so that even if he and Trump split the Republican/conservative vote 50-50, one of the two was still going to win the state.

The great thing about the Electoral College is that a majority of electoral votes are required. If a third-party guy like McMullin siphons off electoral votes, it doesn't get Hillary any closer to that majority of all electoral votes. 270 is 270.

So I had no problem with McMullin. Hillary was never winning Utah.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 03:31:34 am »
By choosing as his state, one that votes Republican by at least 2-to-1 so that even if he and Trump split the Republican/conservative vote 50-50, one of the two was still going to win the state.

The great thing about the Electoral College is that a majority of electoral votes are required. If a third-party guy like McMullin siphons off electoral votes, it doesn't get Hillary any closer to that majority of all electoral votes. 270 is 270.

So I had no problem with McMullin. Hillary was never winning Utah.

It was McMullin's attitude about it I didn't like. Not trying to fix this country threw me off.