Author Topic: 'We Were Soldiers' hero passes; the celebrated life story of a soldier, a leader, a father  (Read 588 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 'We Were Soldiers' hero passes; the celebrated life story of a soldier, a leader, a father

Troy Turner | Editor
    Opelika-Auburn News
    tturner@oanow.com

Feb 11, 2017

Two weeks ago, a senior commander with the U.S. Army’s 1st Cavalry Division, serving in battle-hardened Afghanistan, sent a letter to Auburn, Alabama.

It was addressed to a national hero.

“You are a true legend…and continue to inspire the troops of today, all across the globe,” he wrote. “We hold one of your edicts close to our hearts – ‘No second-place trophies.’ The winning spirit is alive and well.”

A few months earlier, movie stars Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn made a special trip to Auburn for the sole purpose of seeing this same hero.

He and Gibson had met several times before and have become good friends. Gibson portrayed him in the lead role of the film, “We Were Soldiers.”

more
http://www.oanow.com/news/local/we-were-soldiers-hero-passes-the-celebrated-life-story-of/article_0717084e-f08a-11e6-9fcb-636a74eceacb.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Nice for Gibson to recognize this old soldier.

The contrast between his generation and what they endured, and today's snowflakes is striking.

I note the old soldier had no mention of PTSD, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Nice for Gibson to recognize this old soldier.

The contrast between his generation and what they endured, and today's snowflakes is striking.

I note the old soldier had no mention of PTSD, etc.
Makes you wonder if any of those snowflakes even heard of the Ia Drang Valley. I'm glad Gibson made the movie. Maybe some day they can sit down and get just an inkling...

Like my Dad's generation, apparently Gen. Moore made time to focus on his family:
http://www.oanow.com/news/hal-moore-known-as-captain-fun-by-his-family/article_7145640c-f0e6-11e6-9e32-b756563f7e75.html

Younger generations who haven't served have no clue.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:06:18 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis