Author Topic: Protest Songs. The good. The bad..and the ugly  (Read 8130 times)

Offline uglybiker

Re: Protest Songs. The good. The bad..and the ugly
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 05:59:51 am »
So I guess my songs weren't protest-y enough?
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 06:09:26 am »
I doubt that very many "conservatives" today realize how strong the left was during the 1930s. Then the USSR was our ally, in defeating the Axis powers.

Oh no, when Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union signed the Non-Aggression Pact, suddenly The Left wanted us to stay out of the war and they suddenly loved Hitler, it was only when Hitler invaded the Soviet Union, the Left turned on him.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 02:23:46 am »
I doubt that very many "conservatives" today realize how strong the left was during the 1930s. Then the USSR was our ally, in defeating the Axis powers.

The folk music of the 30s-60s would not have been viewed as "subversive" by any but a tiny sliver of people at most.

In retro tagging it as Pinko is not going to convince many people of anything.

Was this addressed to my post? Schools in Texas and all over sing "This Land Is Your Land",

Tennessee Cowboy Harry McClinton wrote "Rock Hard Candy Moutain"; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_McClintock

What's next? Something wrong with Oklahoma Hills?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ZJzN-2o90

"way down yonder on the Indian Nation..." I think we all know those lyrics.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 12:29:44 am »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 12:36:46 am »
A little help here. Can't quite tell what he is saying at the last. Can someone look that up for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 12:41:29 am »
Ya gotta play this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ksYL26lZE
I never got this one. Why was Joan Baez, ultra-liberal peace and equality preaching hippie, singing about the Confederacy? The CSA was diametrically opposite most of the hippie left's belief system.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 12:50:57 am »
I never got this one. Why was Joan Baez, ultra-liberal peace and equality preaching hippie, singing about the Confederacy? The CSA was diametrically opposite most of the hippie left's belief system.

I think it was "here sing this" so she did.  The guy who wrote it didn't like her version (The Band) and she didn't study up for it, getting the lyrics wrong.

Wingnut

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 12:51:10 am »

"Watching the relentless bandwagon of cultural cleansing of all things Southern has started me thinking about all the music that will have to be condemned if those who have vilified the Rebel Flag continue their bullying revisionism.

One song that comes to mind is "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."  And one of my favorite versions of the song, besides the original by The Band (the song was written by The Band's guitar player, Robbie Robertson, with assistance from The Band's vocalist and drummer, Levon Helm), is Joan Baez's version.(By the way, in most of her performances, her lyrics are not quite faithful to the original; e.g., instead of the historical reference to "Stoneman's Cavalry," she renders it as "so much cavalry.")

Baez has always been an "activist" for the whole laundry list of typical liberal causes: nonviolence, gay rights, environmentalism, opposition to the Vietnam and Iraq wars, and opposition to the death penalty.  She has supported Amnesty International and Occupy Wall Street

To her credit, despite her opposition to the Vietnam War, in 1979 she condemned the Communist government of Vietnam in a full-page ad in the New York Times; she also condemned the Communist government of China after the Tiananmen Square massacre.  But aside from that, she's been, and continues to be, a poster girl for all the left's politically correct pet causes.

So I wonder if Joan will join the chorus of those now seeking to once more "drive old Dixie down."  I wonder if she will now repudiate and disown her recordings and performances of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," on the grounds that it is sympathetic to the defeated Confederacy, and such sympathy is now unforgivably politically incorrect.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/07/will_joan_baez_or_anyone_ever_sing_the_night_they_drove_old_dixie_down_again.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:12:02 am by Wingnut »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 05:19:32 am »
The song was written by a bunch of Canadians anyway from what I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREUrbGGrgM

She's sung songs about prisoners; doesn't mean she is endorsing what they did.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 06:32:56 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_southern_rock_bands

List of Southern Rock Bands, including The Band, The Allman Brothers, Lynerd Skynerd, Marshall Tucker band,  Alabama, many popular performers such as Leon Russell, J.J. Cale, etc.

People like Eric Clapton were drawn to the music, for the sake of the music, not any particular political meanings.

And the music was and remains great, simply great.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln