Author Topic: The psychiatrist who wrote the guide to personality disorders says diagnosing Trump is ...  (Read 11237 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Yes, sometimes she does.  I do too, though I try hard to avoid it.

Appreciate your honesty. 

Hoping for a new beginning with you @Sanguine  :beer:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The idea that we have to have an advanced degree in psychology to observe obvious inappropriate behavior is ludicrous.

No, but there is a huge difference between "inappropriate behavior" and a clinical diagnosis.  The latter, by definition, requires someone with actual training in making clinical diagnoses.  If someone wants to say "I think he's a narcissist", that's fine -- it's a colloquial term so you don't need any training.   But if you want to say "he's got "narcissistic personality disorder", then yeah, you'd better be academically qualified to make that determination.

Offline Quix

• Times R a changin' Walk with God!
I've probably deposed 50 psychiatrists/psychologists in my day, and consulted with probably an equal number.  Doesn't make me a psychologist, but it does mean I know what a defensible diagnosis requires. And that's including diagnoses with the DSM-III, III-R, IV, and V.

There is a huge modern tendency to describe personality traits as disorders -- essentially lowering the standards for what actually constitutes a disorder.  Mostly, it's done by lay people, or non-psychiatrists/psychologists, though pop psychiatrists/psychologists will do the same thing on occasion.  Anyway, every single one of the 100 or so I've deposed/consulted with has said that a personal interview is mandatory if you want to have a reliable, defensible diagnosis.  There are simply too many variables that cannot be determined otherwise.

Great points, imho. Thanks.

I certainly agree that there are tooooo many variables to be dogmatic about such a conjectured diagnosis without a face to face set of interviews and a test battery.

On the whole, I don't mind reasonable and mostly respectful diagnostic conjectures of public figures. The public figures hold themselves out as paragon examples to lead us . . . and, imho, . . . deserve some serious scrutiny.

Though I think the scrutiny needs to happen initially at the local levels when they start out on the political path.

Some, no doubt, get worse the more power they garner.

Certainly themes in a life, a personality are likely readily observable in public figures. And, those can be compared to diagnostic criteria. HOWEVER, THAT is a very flawed way to arrive at a conjectured diagnosis, imho.

It may be worth doing in the interest of informing the public, protecting the public from abject crazy/demonized behaviors and potentials on the part of public leaders. But it needs to be seen as and related to as a very flawed way to go about it.

I've often reflected on my Dissertation Chairman's comment about the MMPI. The MMPI--the granddaddy of all paper/pencil diagnostic instruments has many dozens--100's probably--of sub-scales. There's even an MMPI sub-scale to predict the success of back surgery--that turns out to be fairly accurate.

However, my Chairman could demonstrate that BASICALLY, the MMPI measures one thing--CRAZINESS. Period.

Diagnostic labels are shorthand. They enable professionals, insurance companies and courts to discuss problematic behavior with less words--without using a description of the behavior vs a label continually.

And, when shorthand labels are used, nuance, details etc. are lost along the way. Sometimes the details are hugely significant and sometimes, not so much.

I happen to think that the nuance details regarding Trump and his history and life are likely more important than @Victoria33 seems to think they are. That's no huge biggy. Professionals often disagree. If something is critical, one usually gathers together a panel of experts known for objectivity to pour over the evidence and try and arrive at a consensus.

I think what sometimes annoys me about media pontificating professionals about politicos is that they largely seem to be at least AS influenced by political biases as they are diagnostic variables. Yet, they try and make it sound like 100% of their perspective is strictly professional diagnostic criteria. I'm not saying @Victoria33 does that but many do.

Imho, 95% or more of the upper level politicos in our current culture are narcissists to megalomaniacs to psychopaths. Maybe that's an exaggeration. Maybe not. Certainly the bulk of them are pathological liars with Shrillery and Dillbo chief among them on that score.

And another important issue that tends to get lost in such pontifications is the very critical issue of DEGREE of malady. And that virtually always ranges from a little to at or near maximum. Soros, Klintoons, OThuga, Boxer, SKerry, et al take the cake. SKerry may not be clinically near the top in terms of abject craziness but he is sure out of touch with reality to a huge degree. Some of the others are psychopathic/sociopathic to a horrible degree, imho.

Anyway . . . I love discussions like this with folks who value civility.

I love and enjoy Victoria33 for a variety of reasons.  She's an enormously experienced and well trained Christian professional. She tends to be thorough--even exhaustive in her research. She's brilliant. She's kind. She chooses her words probably much more carefully than I do. She's sensitive and perceptive. I value her opinions and feelings about such a lot--even when we disagree.

I prefer to have a sense of humor about snarky stuff until it gets personal about personhood, sanity etc. But actually, it would be better to be just left out of discussions totally.

imho.

Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
POTTERY SITE ON ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ACTIVELOVE
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

As Bob Dylan said:
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.  Perhaps we are not qualified to diagnose Trump with a specific disorder but his VERY public behavior is enough to tell that something is abnormal with him.

That's completely fair.

I've been around enough of this stuff to know that it isn't quite as exact a "science" as some might like to claim.  To a certain extent, it's simply training in applying specific labels to stuff the rest of us know is pretty messed up.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Appreciate your honesty. 

Hoping for a new beginning with you @Sanguine  :beer:

That would be great.  Just keep in mind, that once one has dug a hole, it takes some real effort to get back to ground level.

I'm pinging ML, because it would be great if she could join in.  @musiclady.  (And, I realized that I had talked about her in my last comment, but not pinged her.)

Online Right_in_Virginia

That would be great.  Just keep in mind, that once one has dug a hole, it takes some real effort to get back to ground level.

Good point  ^-^  We'll both take it step by step. 

Enjoy your day @Sanguine

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good point  ^-^  We'll both take it step by step. 

Enjoy your day @Sanguine

And, you too.

Offline Quix

AGREED.

Thanks for your kind words.

I think of you as a friend, too.

God's best to you and those you love.

Most of us do prefer intelligent dialogue........ even with people with whom we disagree....... or perhaps especially with people who have opposing opinions.  (There's not a single person on any forum whose views on everything coincide with my own).

I spend a lot of time on TBR lurking on threads where people on both sides know a heck of a lot more than I do about a given subject, and love how much I learn by just reading learned opinions.

At any rate, @Quix, I really do appreciate your perspective on things, and think of you as a friend.
Forgive all; In all things Thank God; Love all. Love 1st, most & always... BE CALM & DO THE NEXT LOVING THING.
QUIX thread for Quix GLOBALISM, UFO ETC topics here:http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=206517.new#new WILLIAM TOMPKINS Disclosure bk thread: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,224639.0.html . Calling: To afflict the comfortable & comfort the afflicted[/

Offline musiclady

No, but there is a huge difference between "inappropriate behavior" and a clinical diagnosis.  The latter, by definition, requires someone with actual training in making clinical diagnoses.  If someone wants to say "I think he's a narcissist", that's fine -- it's a colloquial term so you don't need any training.   But if you want to say "he's got "narcissistic personality disorder", then yeah, you'd better be academically qualified to make that determination.

And do you know that those saying that do not have appropriate training?

Are you in agreement with silencing everyone who says that, even without knowing their educational backgrounds?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Yes, sometimes she does.  I do too, though I try hard to avoid it.

There's a fundamental difference between making an occasional snarky comment (especially after being provoked) and doing nothing BUT sniping at people.  The vast majority of us say things we shouldn't say on occasion.  There are only a handful who throw darts at any criticism of Trump.

The problem here is that there are some who try to silence all commentary about Trump that doesn't favor him, and who come on any thread where people are saying things that they don't like and attack, sometimes WAY below the belt.

Those few are on my permanent IGNORE list.   They have a long, long record of ugly behavior toward a large number of people. 

There are plenty of people with whom I disagree who can discuss things as adults discuss things.

Life is much better if I ignore the people who just can't seem to do that.

Edited to ping @Sanguine - and to say that I have no problem with your making a comment in response to a question without letting me know.  (You're one of the adults.  ^-^ )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:30:18 pm by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Quix

My B.A. program Personality and Adjustment prof played this for our class more than 45 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOl0-qbDSU

In it Dr Banks (former head of New York Mental Hospital) notes that he was often asked what the insane did that normal people don't do?

His reply:

'Not a blessed thing. It's only a matter of degree.'

I think the audio is worth listening to. Half of it is jokes but some good generic mental health & relationships content along the way.

Probably the more critical issue that @Victoria33 has raised is the conjecture of how hazardous Trump's purported mental problems are to the Nation and planet.

Personally, I think at his worst, Trump is a LOT more benign than OThuga and the Klintoons were in their sleep.

But, time will tell.

I do believe that Ivanka's hubby and the rest of Trump's kids as well as Melania are not wimps. I don't think they'd stand silently by and watch Trump decompensate in dangerous ways and degrees without insuring that proper actions were taken accordingly.

And, I just don't believe that Trump is that liable to decompensating. He's endured far too much stress far too often in his life. He almost seems to thrive on such challenges.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Offline Quix

That's completely fair.

I've been around enough of this stuff to know that it isn't quite as exact a "science" as some might like to claim.  To a certain extent, it's simply training in applying specific labels to stuff the rest of us know is pretty messed up.

imho, THAT is a super important issue.

We all see though the mirror darkly, in at least a bit of a fog.

People are incredibly complex.

Predicting decompensation, violence etc. is just incredibly difficult to do with any reliable accuracy at all--particularly in terms of timing and degree.

Actually, I'd predict that Shrillery would go stark raving mad very violently and vengefully berzerk 1,000 times to Trump doing it once--and at a far higher intensity. LOL.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Dr. Phil wouldn't diagnose Trump;

http://conservative101.com/joy-behar-begs-dr-phil-to-diagnose-trump-he-ends-up-diagnosing-her-instead-with-brutal-zinger/

Of course he wouldn't. He gave up his licence to practice in 2006. And, despite my opinion of his show, he's a pretty ethical guy.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Depends on the definition of snark. I would not be the Moronic Ass Clown I am today without it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Quix

Depends on the definition of snark. I would not be the Moronic Ass Clown I am today without it.

Yeah, well!!!

Some snarks are obviously more equal than others.

LOL.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:08:49 pm by Quix »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Nope, Fred, sorry but you don't qualify.  Snark is perceived as containing an element of malice.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

And do you know that those saying that do not have appropriate training?

You're mixing two different issues.  The first issue is that regardless of training, even a qualified professional cannot give a defensible, reliable clinical diagnosis unless they have personally examined/interviewed the individual.

The second issue is the difference between an informal, colloquial opinion such as "he's a narcissist", and a clinical diagnosis of "He's got narcissisitic personality disorder."  A lay person can give the former, but not the latter.  A qualified professional can give either, but can only give the latter at an acceptable professional standard of liability if they've actually examined the person in question.  So again, even "appropriate training" isn't enough to give a reliable clinical diagnosis unless you've examined them.  And I've been told that by 100 or whatever actual doctors, either psychiatrists or psychologists, including quite a few who've been involved with the DSM's.

As for the rest, I'm not sure what you mean by "silence".  People are free to say what they wish, and others are free to disagree.  Has someone actually been silenced here?

Offline roamer_1

You're mixing two different issues.  The first issue is that regardless of training, even a qualified professional cannot give a defensible, reliable clinical diagnosis unless they have personally examined/interviewed the individual.

Yet any half-decent con can read a mark and play him in less than 10 seconds...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yet any half-decent con can read a mark and play him in less than 10 seconds...

No question, but I would hope that an official diagnosis would be a bit more detailed and thoughtful. 

And cons are much more adept at identifying other cons - if we could all do it, they wouldn't stay in business.

Offline musiclady

The second issue is the difference between an informal, colloquial opinion such as "he's a narcissist", and a clinical diagnosis of "He's got narcissisitic personality disorder."  A lay person can give the former, but not the latter.  A qualified professional can give either, but can only give the latter at an acceptable professional standard of liability if they've actually examined the person in question.  So again, even "appropriate training" isn't enough to give a reliable clinical diagnosis unless you've examined them.  And I've been told that by 100 or whatever actual doctors, either psychiatrists or psychologists, including quite a few who've been involved with the DSM's.

As for the rest, I'm not sure what you mean by "silence".  People are free to say what they wish, and others are free to disagree.  Has someone actually been silenced here?

I obviously have no disagreement with your assessment of who is qualified to say what and when, but I'm not quite sure what your underlying point is.

There are highly qualified people on this board giving highly professional opinions about the serious issues that Donald Trump has.   They have a right to speak.  I respect educated opinions on both sides of the "narcissist" discussion, whether they have seen the patient or not.  They have valuable insights into mental illness that the rest of us don't have.

And if you haven't seen the effort to silence people who don't support Trump, I would suggest you pay more attention.

I don't think I have to name names (nor will I) to make the obvious point that some people are so enamored with Donald Trump that they want those of us who find him a less-than-admirable human being to just shut up and go away.

Never fear, though.  We're not that spineless, and they won't ever succeed.  :patriot:

Offline roamer_1

No question, but I would hope that an official diagnosis would be a bit more detailed and thoughtful. 

Nah - Now you're getting into the long con (read: 'The Sting'). My point is that it is an argument toward authority, which is seldom a good defense. Shoot, my dog is an excellent judge of character - If he don't like someone, they ain't going to be welcome here. Women often have that innate sense too. There's something to it.

And cons are much more adept at identifying other cons - if we could all do it, they wouldn't stay in business.

Well, no... it's the rubes that keep the cons in the dough.

Offline Quix

My PhD program was significantly involved in development /drafts of the DSM III or IV . . . I forget. LOL.

"Labeling" was a big discussion off and on in our school. Then there were the tricky 'differential diagnoses' questions. I don't really miss splitting hairs like that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Nah - Now you're getting into the long con (read: 'The Sting'). My point is that it is an argument toward authority, which is seldom a good defense. Shoot, my dog is an excellent judge of character - If he don't like someone, they ain't going to be welcome here. Women often have that innate sense too. There's something to it.

Well, no... it's the rubes that keep the cons in the dough.

LOL - if all women had that sense they wouldn't go for the "bad guy"!

And, either you read my last sentence backwards or I wrote it backwards.  I meant that if all of us could detect cons, they (cons) would be out of business.

And, there are some bad apples in the mental health professions, probably more than should be, but arriving at a diagnosis requires documentation and reason.