Author Topic: Republicans push bill to split up ‘nutty 9th Circuit’  (Read 1260 times)

Offline endicom

Republicans push bill to split up ‘nutty 9th Circuit’
« on: February 10, 2017, 02:52:12 am »
Fox News
Barnini Chakraborty
Feb. 9, 2017

As judges on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals weigh the legality of President Trump’s immigration executive order, a Republican push to split up the controversial court -- and shrink its clout -- is gaining steam on Capitol Hill.

Republican Sens. Jeff Flake and John McCain of Arizona introduced legislation last month to carve six states out of the San Francisco-based court circuit and create a brand new 12th Circuit.

They argue that the 9th is too big, too liberal and too slow resolving cases. If they succeed, only California, Oregon, Hawaii and two island districts would remain in the 9th's judicial fiefdom.

Right now, Flake said, the circuit is far too sprawling.

“It represents 20 percent of the population -- and 40 percent of the land mass is in that jurisdiction.

More... http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/09/bill-to-split-nutty-9th-circuit-gains-momentum.html

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Republicans push bill to split up ‘nutty 9th Circuit’
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 03:14:36 am »
Fox News
Barnini Chakraborty
Feb. 9, 2017

As judges on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals weigh the legality of President Trump’s immigration executive order, a Republican push to split up the controversial court -- and shrink its clout -- is gaining steam on Capitol Hill.

Republican Sens. Jeff Flake and John McCain of Arizona introduced legislation last month to carve six states out of the San Francisco-based court circuit and create a brand new 12th Circuit.

They argue that the 9th is too big, too liberal and too slow resolving cases. If they succeed, only California, Oregon, Hawaii and two island districts would remain in the 9th's judicial fiefdom.

“It represents 20 percent of the population -- and 40 percent of the land mass is in that jurisdiction.

More... http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/09/bill-to-split-nutty-9th-circuit-gains-momentum.html

:thumbsup:

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:29:39 am »
Fox News
Barnini Chakraborty
Feb. 9, 2017

Go for it!

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:09:25 am »
While they are at it, add 2 more seats on the SCOTUS.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 04:15:03 am »
There is enough evidence to show that the 9th Circus is incompetent, politically motivated and an irrelevancy for the amount of power they have. This should be an easy thing to do and the political makeup of the govt' is ripe for getting it done.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 04:15:26 am »
While they are at it, add 2 more seats on the SCOTUS.

9 nuts are more than enough

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 04:57:09 am »
This is the wrong way to do it.

What's needed is an Article V Convention (meeting, not party) of (credentialed) State Delegates - to impose term limits on judges and give States overrides or other recourse to crazed Federal Court rulings.

That among many needed changes, including repeal of Amendment 17.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 11:55:23 pm »
I thought this was posted before?  Couldn't find it on our hinkie search.. so JIC

That brings us back to the 9th Circuit. It’s the most overturned court in the United States. It takes around 15 months to pass down a ruling. It’s big, bloated and desperately needs to be disbanded. When it was first created, it represented 4 percent of the population. Now, it represents around 20 percent. That’s why Sen. Jeff Flake and Sen. John McCain introduced legislation last month to break up the 9th Circuit and create a new 12th Circuit, comprised of Nevada, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Arizona and Alaska. Meaning, the 9th Circuit would be left with California, Oregon, Hawaii, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands.

“It represents 20 percent of the population — and 40 percent of the land mass is in that jurisdiction. It’s just too big,” Flake said. “We have a bedrock principle of swift justice and if you live in Arizona or anywhere in the 9th Circuit, you just don’t have it.”

Republicans in the House introduced a similar version of the bill. Their version leaves Washington in the 9th Circuit.

Could this happen? Yes. It’s not completely out of the realm of possibilities. It’s been done before. Congress split the 8th Circuit in 1929 and took steps to disband the 9th Circuit in 1998. That effort failed.

If Republican lawmakers push this again, Democrats will most certainly view it as a political move. But the truth is, it’s long past due.
http://www.chicksontheright.com/republicans-push-bill-to-break-up-the-9th-circuit-court-of-appeals

Offline beandog

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 12:41:02 am »
I wish this would happen but there's know way the Rats and the Courts are going to let it.

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 12:49:35 am »
I thought this was posted before?  Couldn't find it on our hinkie search.. so JIC

Twice that I know of. Once under, I think, the same title and once under a different title.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 12:54:50 am »
I wonder if the so-called "breaking news" on FOXNEWS right now....saying the Ninth Circuit Court is willing to hear the government's case in front of all eleven judges.......has anything to do with this?     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 01:08:29 am »
I wonder if the so-called "breaking news" on FOXNEWS right now....saying the Ninth Circuit Court is willing to hear the government's case in front of all eleven judges.......has anything to do with this?     :laugh:

Huummmm!  I wonder!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 01:09:32 am »

That thought did cross my mind.  But it was push away with the thought that said:  "a beer would sound really good right about now".

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 01:21:25 am »
The GOP majority needs to pass a bill that will enact what Trump has proposed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 01:24:23 am »
The GOP majority needs to pass a bill that will enact what Trump has proposed.

No they don't.  That is already the law.  What congress needs to do is rein in these rogue courts severely.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 01:37:34 am »
I think it's a good idea

Offline Fantom

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 01:45:08 am »
I wish this would happen but there's know way the Rats and the Courts are going to let it.

Congress has sole authority on this.

Only SCOTUS is Constitutionally enabled.  Everything else in the Judicial branch.. including SCOTUS numbers is the sole power of Congress. No President/executive required.

The repubs could quash the 9th tomorrow if they so willed.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline beandog

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 01:51:32 am »

Only SCOTUS is Constitutionally enabled.  Everything else in the Judicial branch.. including SCOTUS numbers is the sole power of Congress. No President/executive required.

Maybe but if things were as they should be President the Donald's EO would still be in effect.  The Court's have taken over and it appears they can quash anything they want.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 02:27:04 am »
Maybe but if things were as they should be President the Donald's EO would still be in effect.  The Court's have taken over and it appears they can quash anything they want.

Mayhap then..... The Sons of Liberty.

Guess we shall see.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 02:38:40 am »
Republicans Push Bill To Break Up The 9th Circuit Court Of Appeals

They don't have the balls. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 02:45:00 am »
Probably not. That's just the standard order of the appeals process. District court, three-judge panel of appeals court, full appeals court, SCOTUS.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 02:47:39 am »
I always wondered why the federal courts were structured this way. I think it is high time for a re-structuring.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 04:28:45 am »
Perhaps Paul Ryan made a phone call telling them in no uncertain terms their impeachment was imminent?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2017, 04:29:37 am »

Or of the impeachment and removal of the three culprits and the sidekick in Seattle.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 04:30:41 pm »
9 nuts are more than enough
11 could be a temporary solution to load it with conservatives. The knowing they have no clout, the liberal old wackos would retire, then it could be reduced, eliminating those liberal seats.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy