Author Topic: Ninth Circuit Court to announce their decision Today  (Read 13085 times)

Wingnut

Re: Ninth Circuit Court to announce their decision Today
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2017, 12:34:53 am »
No one under 35 is going to get that reference.

It was a beautiful reference.   Wasn't it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2017, 12:36:25 am »
Maybe so.  However, this decision does not resolve that question. 

The ruling handed down today addresses the following: "The Government now moves for an emergency stay of the district court’s temporary restraining order while its appeal of that order proceeds."

The decision handed down today denies the emergency stay.  It is not a ruling on the appeal itself.

And doing so says that they agree that the judge issuing the order is empowered to second guess the president on national security matters.  They can't  possibly be any more wrong.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2017, 12:37:43 am »
I find it fascinating that during the Reign of His Heinous, King Obama, neither Congress or the courts stopped or put up any kind of restraints to all of his E.O.s and unconstitutional decrees.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Oceander

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2017, 12:39:05 am »
The court has no standing to rule at all. the law is clear. The power rests in the executive. This is like a girl that tells her parents she's going to the prom with the local drug lord, her parents telling her no and her asking what time they expect her home.

She ain't going so it don't matter.

Absolutely and without qualification wrong.  The court has the power, and the obligation, to say whether the actions of the executive conform to the requirements of both statutory and constitutional law.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2017, 12:40:41 am »
I find it fascinating that during the Reign of His Heinous, King Obama, neither Congress or the courts stopped or put up any kind of restraints to all of his E.O.s and unconstitutional decrees.

Because they are part of the same army,  and Trump is an enemy.   Yes,  Obama instituted bans,  and the courts didn't say boo. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2017, 12:44:31 am »
Absolutely and without qualification wrong.  The court has the power, and the obligation, to say whether the actions of the executive conform to the requirements of both statutory and constitutional law.

The court has zero authority to deal in matters vested exclusively in the Executive branch concerning national security.

Zero. If you can find one word of constitutional law stating that any court can obstruct a President/CIC from carrying out his constitutionally manded job to keep the country safe, please share. Because the laws that give the president carte blanche to restrict A N Y immigration have been posted repeatedly. No where at all in them is there a judicial review provision or judicial oversight.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2017, 12:44:39 am »
On what basis did it deny the administrations request?

Read the decision here: http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf

They discussed the following:

"To rule on the Government’s motion, we must consider several factors, including whether the Government has shown that it is likely to succeed on the merits of its appeal, the degree of hardship caused by a stay or its denial, and the public interest in granting or denying a stay."

For example, the states made a 5th Amendment "due process" argument; the court ruled that  "the Government has not shown that the Executive Order provides what due process requires, such as notice and a hearing prior to restricting an individual’s ability to travel."

Note that their standard here is whether the Gov't made a sufficiently strong argument to merit the stay; they did not.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2017, 12:47:19 am »

Honestly, I find this frightening...another 9/11 just waiting to happen.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline beandog

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2017, 12:49:08 am »
If it does, we know who to blame. 22222frying pan

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2017, 12:49:29 am »
Note that their standard here is whether the Gov't made a sufficiently strong argument to merit the stay; they did not.

As I mentioned last night after listening to the arguments the DOJ lawyer was pathetic....but I am sure they were going to decided this way no matter who the DOJ sent up there.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2017, 12:49:49 am »

Pain teaches the stupid. Some people are really stupid and might die from the education. I just hope no one innocent is standing near them.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2017, 12:51:30 am »
Read the decision here: http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf

They discussed the following:

"To rule on the Government’s motion, we must consider several factors, including whether the Government has shown that it is likely to succeed on the merits of its appeal, the degree of hardship caused by a stay or its denial, and the public interest in granting or denying a stay."

For example, the states made a 5th Amendment "due process" argument; the court ruled that  "the Government has not shown that the Executive Order provides what due process requires, such as notice and a hearing prior to restricting an individual’s ability to travel."

I believe the administrations argument in favor of the stay was essentially the same argument they made in judge Robarts court in the first place.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2017, 12:53:00 am »

Due process for people in Syria?   The Courts have no jurisdiction in Syria.  The people involved are in Syria (and other places outside the court's jurisdiction.) 

Care to try again for a non nonsensical argument? 

And of course the Judges are too brain dead stupid to recognize there is a serious issue of "standing"  and that the plain wording of the law makes it clear that the President has this authority.   

No,  it isn't that there are three idiots on the bench,  it's that the government didn't present a good case. 

It is insane that the government was expected to present a case. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2017, 12:53:32 am »
The court has zero authority to deal in matters vested exclusively in the Executive branch concerning national security.
Well... The Turtle and the GOP oligarchy made the breach of Separation of Powers with their wholesale surrender of delineated duties a precedent now didn't they?

Since one branch surrendered it's powers to the Executive, it's of course expected that the Left would then see that as precedent to limit, interfere with and otherwise render null and void, specific duties of the Executive.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline r9etb

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2017, 12:57:15 am »
I believe the administrations argument in favor of the stay was essentially the same argument they made in judge Robarts court in the first place.

Obviously didn't work either time.

But to reiterate: this was just a denial of a stay; the appeal itself hasn't happened yet.  The decision does show where the gov't falls short, in the view of the 9th Circus, so presumably a better and stronger argument could be made at that time.

Note that, had Trump simply taken a couple of extra weeks to give people and agencies time to prepare, the "due process" argument would not have anything like the weight it has now.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2017, 12:57:36 am »
Well... The Turtle and the GOP oligarchy made the breach of Separation of Powers with their wholesale surrender of delineated duties a precedent now didn't they?

Since one branch surrendered it's powers to the Executive, it's of course expected that the Left would then see that as precedent to limit, interfere with and otherwise render null and void, specific duties of the Executive.

Yea but I prefer the fantasy where constitutional law still governs America. Good old Mitch. Thank god smart pragmarists won the day and kept sending him to DC along with the other surrender monkeys.

Thanks RINO voters! Wonder who ends up dead and on your consciences over it this month. You are 100% responsible.

Wingnut

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2017, 12:57:52 am »
One thing is for certain.   There is a WWF type cage match coming between the Potus and the judicial activists in this world.

Pay per Vue.   

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2017, 12:58:44 am »
One thing is for certain.   There is a WWF type cage match coming between the Potus and the judicial activists in this world.

Pay per Vue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKFIHRpe7I

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2017, 12:59:11 am »

Pay per Vue.

We wait in breathless antici....PAtion ;)

Wingnut

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2017, 01:00:06 am »
We wait in breathless antici....PAtion ;)

Fool me once.   lol!   888high58888

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2017, 01:00:37 am »
Don't these decisions basically subordinate the State Dept to the plaintiff states? Doesn't seem legal.

The powers that the 9th Circus are ruling on here are clearly covered as Executive powers. This bullshit ruling from this court is garbage and should be disregarded. If this court doesn't like it let them muster their army to enforce their rulings.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2017, 01:01:16 am »
Fool me once.   lol!   888high58888

I'm just vain ;)

Wingnut

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2017, 01:04:15 am »
I'm just vain ;)

You had me several posts ago when I was still quite naive...

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2017, 01:06:28 am »
The powers that the 9th Circus are ruling on here are clearly covered as Executive powers. This bullshit ruling from this court is garbage and should be disregarded. If this court doesn't like it let them muster their army to enforce their rulings.

I completely agree with you Frank but it's not going to happen because we have been conditioned to accept Judges as our Kings!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien