Author Topic: Ninth Circuit Court to announce their decision Today  (Read 13198 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Ninth Circuit Court to announce their decision Today
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2017, 02:36:07 am »
And round and round we go.

He cannot be held in contempt as the court has no authority to hear the case they did, much less usurp the executive. Any 'charge' of contempt they levy is as meaningless as their present decision.

:shrug:  That'll be up to Congress. They won't be too amused if Trump ignores judges. Believing anything else is just internet fantasyland.

But please continue with your little fantasy of Trump having court judges arrested and such.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2017, 02:37:22 am »
Read what the court said: they cited precedents dating back to 1866. 

And you're apparently another one of those who'd like to burn the Constitution in order to save it.

Sheesh.

What part of the constitution places the power of national security under court review?

• Technical
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2017, 02:37:43 am »
Yes, because that is what happened to Andrew Jackson.

The courts..especially the 9th , have been given to much authority by the People.. time to start ignoring them a bit... methinks.

Trump is no Andrew Jackson. He's not even Michael Jackson.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:26 am »
Read what the court said: they cited precedents dating back to 1866. 

And you're apparently another one of those who'd like to burn the Constitution in order to save it.

Sheesh.

And every single bit of the dicta they cited is COMPLETELY irrelevant to the question they were tasked to decide!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline r9etb

« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:47 am »

He's not even Michael Jackson.

Don't be too hasty.  Didn't both Trump and MJ change to different colors?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:58 am »

It's a bunch of keyboard warriors, like on Free Republic a bunch of old men sitting around in their underwear threatening "civil war" and talking big and bad.

It must be exasperating for someone of your intellect to have to constantly be setting we poor benighted fools straight all of the time.

Surely there're other ways for you to more profitably spend your valuable time.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:43 am »

Trump is no Andrew Jackson. He's not even Michael Jackson.

Actually, President Trump reminds me of a Conservative Teddy Roosevelt. I am surprised by that, actually, as I never considered that Trump had a Conservative bone in his body... my bad.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:48 am »

:shrug:  That'll be up to Congress. They won't be too amused if Trump ignores judges. Believing anything else is just internet fantasyland.

But please continue with your little fantasy of Trump having court judges arrested and such.

What fantasy? Are you privy to what amuses them? Considering your last election week pingponging over your trump vote, you arent exactly a stable source of whats anything one way or the other. When the wind blows in a direction that you like at that exact moment, thats the way you argue. Until your emotions change and then you go the other way fast.

Tell me. What law can you cite that gives the judiciary power over the exec in matters of national security? Not an emotional outburst. A law. What is it?

And no, "Don't pop a vein" isn't an answer.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2017, 02:43:14 am »
See, it wouldn't be needed, but liberals unwilling to follow the law force stronger measures. So blame the people that fought against Trumps 100% legal EO to begin with when stronger actions happen.

Glenn Reynolds (Instapundit)  said something along the lines of  "first we tried "nice"  with Romney,   and nice didn't work.   So now we're making our point with Trump.   You won't like what happens if we can't get the message across with Trump."   

He also said something along the lines of "You don't want Trump?  This is how you get more Trump."   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline r9etb

« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2017, 02:44:08 am »
And every single bit of the dicta they cited is COMPLETELY irrelevant to the question they were tasked to decide!

Um.... the question they were asked to decide, was whether or not to grant an emergency stay to the temporary restraining order.

And to assess the grounds for granting a stay, they had to ask whether the court had standing to rule on matters that are alleged to be national security issues -- and they cited relevant precedents to show that they do. 

They also acknowledged that the court owes "substantial deference to the immigration and national security policy determinations of the political branches;" however, to grant an emergency stay, the government had to show evidence supporting the request.

Instead, the court said that "the Government has not offered any evidence or even an explanation of how the national security concerns that justified those designations, which triggered visa requirements, can be extrapolated to justify an urgent need for the Executive Order to be immediately reinstated."

Thus, no stay on grounds of national security.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:45:17 am by r9etb »

• Technical
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2017, 02:49:52 am »
Tell me. What law can you cite that gives the judiciary power over the exec in matters of national security? Not an emotional outburst. A law. What is it?

Trump can argue it before the USSC. Until then he'll have to follow the court's orders.

Most Congresscritters aren't like the nutjobs on this thread. They have elections, and reelection coming up, they know the Senate is hanging by a thread and even the house isn't guaranteed, and I'd bet most people (read voters) thought like your detractors in this thread:  that a President ignoring court orders would make the US resemble even more of a banana republic then even if we imported the third world through immigration.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2017, 02:50:17 am »

Did anyone suggest Trump will arrest court judges?  I did not notice that.

If no one did, why place these type of suggestions into anyone's mind?  Good grief.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2017, 02:50:56 am »
Um.... the question they were asked to decide, was whether or not to grant an emergency stay to the temporary restraining order.

Correct!

And to assess the grounds for granting a stay, they had to ask whether the court had standing to rule on matters that are alleged to be national security issues -- and they cited relevant precedents to show that they do.

Bull Shit!

They also acknowledged that the court owes "substantial deference to the immigration and national security policy determinations of the political branches;" however, to grant an emergency stay, the government had to show evidence supporting the request. 

Instead, the court said that "the Government has not offered any evidence or even an explanation of how the national security concerns that justified those designations, which triggered visa requirements, can be extrapolated to justify an urgent need for the Executive Order to be immediately reinstated."

The president is nowhere required to provide ANY court with national security information he is privy to and no court is anywhere authorized to question his determinations in those matters!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2017, 02:51:21 am »
Did anyone suggest Trump will arrest court judges?  I did not notice that.

If no one did, why place these type of suggestions into anyone's mind?  Good grief.

Some idgit suggested it upthread somewhere. might have been on another thread.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2017, 02:51:30 am »
Trump just should go ahead with it anyway.

That's the trap that's being set.

This gives the Dems and the predictable RINOS, Collins, Murkowski, Goober Graham...cover to push Articles of Impeachment and a conviction vote.

This is a trap and a box that's been laid.  Any terrorist mass-slaughter now done will be laid at Trump's feet.  And if Trump ignores this kangaroo-kourt ruling...he'll be Impeached.

The country is coming apart.  The kangaroos on the Ninth Jerk-It Kourt are willing to see hundreds, maybe thousands, of citizens die for their own stupid neo-Marxist political games and objectives.

« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2017, 02:52:30 am »

Trump can argue it before the USSC. Until then he'll have to follow the court's orders.

NO he doesn't anymore than Trump can order around Chuck Schumer or Paul Ryan can order around Ruth Ginsberg.

Where are you getting these fairy tales?

Judges are NOT absolute authorities.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2017, 02:52:52 am »
Actually, President Trump reminds me of a Conservative Teddy Roosevelt. I am surprised by that, actually, as I never considered that Trump had a Conservative bone in his body... my bad.

That is exactly the model I have been using to try and characterize Trump.  They are both from New York,  and both behaved in a manner very differently from what the New York machine expected.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

• Technical
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2017, 02:53:43 am »
NO he doesn't anymore than Trump can order around Chuck Schumer or Paul Ryan can order around Ruth Ginsberg.

:shrug:  Tell it to Congress, broski. They'll be the ones to act if he ignores the courts.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2017, 02:54:40 am »
I wonder who the President will tap to argue the administration's case before SCOTUS?

Unless Goresuch gets a lightning-fast confirmation, and I can't see that...what will happen is that the SCOTUS will vote whether to hear the case.  A tie vote will mean it will not take up the case.

And the Ninth Jerk-It ruling holds.  And unless there's another legal principle argued in a future ruling...what the SCOTUS does in rejecting the case, will hold once Goresuch is in.

This is a shockingly-dangerous game they're playing.

Offline JustPassinThru

« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2017, 02:57:26 am »

Your argument for that is, what?

Do Presidents order judges to do things?

Or do JUDGES order PRESIDENTS to do, not do, not implement things?

Trump can ignore this ruling, a la Jackson.  He can also be Impeached for it, a la Johnson.  Or Bubba, if you like.

The Dems would LOVE to have a narrative that would justify Articles of Impeachment.  This is the bait to give them the shot.

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2017, 02:57:27 am »

I really do not know how to do this delicately, so I'll just throw it out.

The President has ultimate authority on our national security and does not need to submit his claim for national security to any court, Period.

Just let up on the driveling you continue doing that says he must submit to a court.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2017, 02:57:47 am »

Correct, they are equal branches.

The law and SCOTUS decisions as well as Congress have placed this power in the hands of the Executive..specifically the President.

If Kennedy does not set aside a minor District Trial Judges illegal TRO. Then we are no longer a Nation of law. But a Black robed tyrannical oligarchy.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

• Technical
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2017, 03:01:19 am »
The country is coming apart.  The kangaroos on the Ninth Jerk-It Kourt are willing to see hundreds, maybe thousands, of citizens die for their own stupid neo-Marxist political games and objectives.

This is a bit of hyperbole isn't it?  How many people have been killed by people in this country from these countries?

I don't have a problem with the ban per se, but I don't think it's a deadly necessary as others see it.

Are you really this fearful about things? Yikes.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2017, 03:01:25 am »

Trump can ignore this ruling, a la Jackson.  He can also be Impeached for it, a la Johnson.  Or Bubba, if you like.

The Dems would LOVE to have a narrative that would justify Articles of Impeachment.  This is the bait to give them the shot.

The wild card in an impeachment scenario would be public opinion.

And I believe Trump, in this case, would have that in his corner.

Of course it would be a disaster if it got that far. The left has created quite a hash here as it is.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2017, 03:02:09 am »

Let them draw up articles of impeachment until their fingers are bloody stumps!  They will go exactly nowhere!

- J. R. R. Tolkien