Author Topic: Authoritarianism Is Not Confined To One Political Party  (Read 4092 times)

Online corbe

Authoritarianism Is Not Confined To One Political Party
« on: February 07, 2017, 05:39:16 pm »
Authoritarianism Is Not Confined To One Political Party

The shared governing philosophy of contemporary liberalism and Trumpism

David Harsanyi
By David Harsanyi
February 7, 2017

None of Barack Obama’s wrongdoings over the past eight years absolve Donald Trump of his in the coming eight. Period.

If we want to get serious about the scourge of “norm breaking,” though, we can’t ignore when those norms were first shattered simply because it’s politically convenient for some people to reset history.

In fact, pointing out Obama’s record is an effective way to highlight some of its shared governing philosophy with Trumpism and contemporary liberalism. “Whataboutism” — a tactic Democrats say is meant to deflect criticism from the president — also helps hold people on both sides accountable. The first step in kicking authoritarianism is admitting you have a problem.

<..snip..>

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/07/first-step-in-kicking-authoritarianism-admitting-you-have-a-problem/

--excerpted: Abaraxas

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:05:15 pm by AbaraXas »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline endicom

Re: Authoritarianism Is Not Confined To One Political Party
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 05:50:11 pm »
Harsanyi didn't point to anything Trump has done to be called authoritarian. What is done is the ball I would want to keep my eye on.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 06:02:10 pm »
From the article:

One of the few aspects of Obama’s legacy likely to survive the Trump years is his mainstreaming of the notion that the executive branch has an authority to do whatever it likes if the law-making branch “fails to act” — a phrase Democrats used incessantly over the past six years.

The mainstreaming of that notion really began in earnest during the Clinton administration, continued apace
under George W. Bush (after how many on the right and not enough on the left had been ripping Clinton
for it?), ramped up further under His Excellency Obama (after how many on the left and not enough on
the right bitched about Bush doing it?), and now we have Donaldus Minimus, too, behaving like an elected
monarch (yes, the left bitches about it, but how come more on the right don't, especially when they're
supposed to be the ones so big on properly-balanced government?), only too eager (it often seems)
to wield the excessive executive power bequeathed him. What a surprise. He rarely if ever spoke in terms of
reducing government in fact or in powers.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:03:27 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 06:04:20 pm »
Flashback
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,198541.0.html

Huh. This comment by @Bill Cipher stuck out:

Viz. the Nolan chart, I would disagree that greater personal freedom and greater economic freedom are opposites, which is what the chart implies - i.e., go left to get greater personal freedom, but at the implicit expense of no or of less economic freedom, and vice versa.  The great lesson of the Western world seems to me to be that the two go hand in hand, and that one cannot reliably have more of one without more of the other.

I don't agree that the Nolan Chart presents the assumed axes of freedom as opposites but do agree that freedom is of a whole. What I say is that you can't much restrict along either axis without restricting along both.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:09:08 pm »
Harsanyi didn't point to anything Trump has done to be called authoritarian. What is done is the ball I would want to keep my eye on.

True. It's curious that the hair pulling has started before anything has happened. It's especially curious after having just completed an eight year administration of an anti-constitutional ideologue.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:15:21 pm »
True. It's curious that the hair pulling has started before anything has happened. It's especially curious after having just completed an eight year administration of an anti-constitutional ideologue.

I guess the series of ill-conceived and poorly executed Executive Orders aren't enough for you guys....  Not to mention his various threats of imposing taxes (over which he has no control, btw...).

It's hard to say whether his endless tweets are "authoritarian" or just unhinged....

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 06:21:41 pm »
I guess the series of ill-conceived and poorly executed Executive Orders aren't enough for you guys....  Not to mention his various threats of imposing taxes (over which he has no control, btw...).

It's hard to say whether his endless tweets are "authoritarian" or just unhinged....

Apparently not.

Let me know when he violates the Constitution.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 06:23:34 pm »
Apparently not.

Let me know when he violates the Constitution.

Aaannnnndd..... you're just making excuses, aren't you? 

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 06:35:27 pm »
I guess the series of ill-conceived and poorly executed Executive Orders...

Namely...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:39:57 pm »
Aaannnnndd..... you're just making excuses, aren't you?

And you seem to be intent on making a sows ear out of a silk purse. Why the negativity? It's getting tedious.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:45:20 pm by skeeter »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:51:02 pm »
And you seem to be intent on making a sows ear out of a silk purse. Why the negativity? It's getting tedious.

Are you just not paying attention to the way Mr. Trump has been behaving? 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 06:55:14 pm »
Are you just not paying attention to the way Mr. Trump has been behaving?

I don't like his style at all.

But I care more that Sessions will be AG. That a school choice fanatic just became Scty of Education. That ACA is being reformed. And that at least we have a president that isn't kissing Irans ass. These to me are a bit more worth paying attention to.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 06:57:33 pm »

Namely...

Well, the so-called "Travel Ban" one, for example.  Whatever its merits or lack thereof, that EO was a self-induced disaster.  Even a little bit of laying the groundwork would have made all the difference, but Trump decided he could just sign it and go -- as if all that was necessary was for him to sign a piece of paper.

And his tweetstorms ... his threats and insults mark him as a bully, and in a position of power, bullies and authoritarians are pretty much the same thing.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 07:00:32 pm »

But I care more that Sessions will be AG. That a school choice fanatic just became Scty of Education. That ACA is being reformed. And that at least we have a president that isn't kissing Irans ass. These to me are a bit more worth paying attention to.

And, of course, the trains will run on time?

Some of what Trump has done so far is good.  But the same can be said of pretty much anybody.  The problem is that Trump's authoritarian instincts are there for any honest person to see -- that's the "style" you don't like.   

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:31 pm »
And, of course, the trains will run on time?

Suit yourself. Focus on what Trump's 'instincts' are and keep an eye out for fascists. I'll watch whats actually happening.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:53 pm »

But I care more that Sessions will be AG. That a school choice fanatic just became Scty of Education. That ACA is being reformed.

I guess two out of three ain't bad.

Sorry, but I'm not for Sessions. His stance on asset forfeiture is absolutely intolerable. To seize property before someone has
actually been convicted of any crime, to seize property not even believed to have been part of committing any crime,
or to make it difficult to impossible to retrieve property upon acquittal---none of which Sessions repudiates and all of which
he is on record as continuing to support---is unacceptable in someone who stands to become the nation's top law official.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline endicom

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »
Well, the so-called "Travel Ban" one, for example.

One is not a series.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 07:11:14 pm »
I guess two out of three ain't bad.

Sorry, but I'm not for Sessions. His stance on asset forfeiture is absolutely intolerable. To seize property before someone has
actually been convicted of any crime, to seize property not even believed to have been part of committing any crime,
or to make it difficult to impossible to retrieve property upon acquittal---none of which Sessions repudiates and all of which
he is on record as continuing to support---is unacceptable in someone who stands to become the nation's top law official.

OK, swap Gorsuch for SCOTUS instead of Session for AG.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 07:13:06 pm »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 07:14:05 pm »
Suit yourself. Focus on what Trump's 'instincts' are and keep an eye out for fascists. I'll watch whats actually happening.

I'm paying attention to Trump's behavior.  You're more interested in the trains running on time.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 07:15:26 pm »
I'm paying attention to Trump's behavior.  You're more interested in the trains running on time.

Do me a favor - don't tell me what I think. You obviously have no clue.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 07:20:46 pm »

(rolls eyes)

All I can judge your thinking by, is what you say.  And what you say reads like you only care if the trains run on time.

Could I trust you to oppose Trump when he acts like a bully?  I begin to wonder.

geronl

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 07:21:47 pm »
And that at least we have a president that isn't kissing Irans ass.

Trump is very pro-LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ

geronl

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 07:24:10 pm »

Yeah! Making an assumption that thinking is involved is clueless!