Author Topic: Forget the F-35: Why America's Military Misses the F-14 Tomcat  (Read 825 times)

rangerrebew

Forget the F-35: Why America's Military Misses the F-14 Tomcat
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:02:33 am »

Forget the F-35: Why America's Military Misses the F-14 Tomcat
[1]
Main Image

An old aircraft the U.S. Navy really misses.
Dave Majumdar [2]

The F-35C was never designed to be an air superiority fighter. Indeed, naval planners in the mid-1990s wanted the JSF to be a strike-oriented aircraft with only a 6.5G airframe load limit with very limited air-to-air capability, according to one retired U.S. Navy official. Indeed, some naval planners at the time had discussed retiring the F-14 in favor of keeping the Grumman A-6 Intruder in service. During this period, many officials believed air combat to be a relic of the past in the post-Cold War era. They anticipated most future conflicts to be air-to-ground oriented in those years immediately following the Soviet collapse.

While the requirement for a carrier-based long-range strike capability is a frequent subject of discussion around Washington, the U.S. Navy’s need for improved air superiority capabilities is often neglected.

The service has not had a dedicated air-to-air combat aircraft since it retired the Grumman F-14 Tomcat [3] in 2006. But even the Tomcat was adapted into a strike aircraft during its last years in service after the Soviet threat evaporated. Now, as new threats to the carrier emerge and adversaries start to field new fighters that can challenge the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and Lockheed Martin F-35C Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), attention is starting to shift back to this oft-neglected Navy mission—especially in the Western Pacific.

Source URL (retrieved on February 7, 2017): http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/forget-the-f-35-why-americas-military-misses-the-f-14-tomcat-19347

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Forget the F-35: Why America's Military Misses the F-14 Tomcat
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 01:17:37 pm »
Will fighters be the future, or drones?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:21:40 pm »
Will fighters be the future, or drones?

I think drones fighting is our future.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 01:26:33 pm »

That was my take, too. Higher G maneuvers, no pilot considerations allows an even stealthier profile, and one-way trips, while expensive, don't involve the loss of a pilot.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:33:49 pm »
F-14 is an iconic and beautiful design, my favorite USN aircraft...however, it was a maintenance nightmare in its twilight years.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/an-elite-f-14-airman-explains-why-the-tomcat-was-so-imp-1610043625
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:41:44 pm »

Strap a low yield tactical nuke to its belly and fly it to downtown Mullahville   :smokin:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 04:15:13 pm »
Strap a low yield tactical nuke to its belly and fly it to downtown Mullahville   :smokin:
Hmmm. A 'suicide' bomber!

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »
Hmmm. A 'suicide' bomber!

With a little "divine wind" thrown in for effect!