Author Topic: Trump Is Right: Silicon Valley Is Using H-1B Visas To Pay Low Wages To Immigrants  (Read 707 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: HUFFINGTON POST

URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-h-1b_us_5890d86ce4b0522c7d3d84af?

by Norm Matloff

On the heels on its controversial immigration ban targeting seven Muslim-majority countries, the Trump administration has drafted a new executive order that could actually mean higher wages for both foreign workers and Americans working in Silicon Valley. The Silicon Valley companies, of course, will not be happy if it goes into effect.

The order aims to overhaul and limit work visas, notably the H-1B visa program. Tech companies rely on these to bring in foreign talent. Their lobbyists claim there is a “talent shortage” among Americans and thus that the industry needs more of such work visas. This is patently false. The truth is that they want an expansion of the H-1B work visa program because they want to hire cheap, immobile labor — i.e., foreign workers.

To see how this works, note that most Silicon Valley firms sponsor their H-1B workers, who hold a temporary visa, for U.S. permanent residency (green card) under the employment-based program in immigration law. EB sponsorship renders the workers de facto indentured servants; though they have the right to move to another employer, they do not dare do so, as it would mean starting the lengthy green card process all over again.

This immobility is of huge value to many employers, as it means that a foreign worker can’t leave them in the lurch in the midst of an urgent project. In a 2012 meeting between Google and several researchers, including myself, the firm explained the advantage of hiring foreign workers: the company can’t prevent the departure of Americans, but the foreign workers are stuck. David Swaim, an immigration lawyer who designed Texas Instruments’ immigration policy and is now in private practice, overtly urges employers to hire foreign students instead of Americans.

This stranglehold on foreign workers enables firms to pay low wages. Academics with industry funding claim otherwise, but one can see how it makes basic economic sense: If a worker is not a free agent in the labor market, she cannot swing the best salary deal. And while the industry’s clout gives it bipartisan congressional support concerning H-1B and green card policy, Congress’s own commissioned report found that H-1B workers “received lower wages, less senior job titles, smaller signing bonuses and smaller pay and compensation increases than would be typical for the work they actually did.”

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Oceander

Ri-i-i-i-i-ght

It's using H-1Bs to get superior talent.

geronl

Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort imports 70-90 low-wage workers from third world countries.

But I have no doubt it's okay when Trump does it.

Offline Suppressed

Ri-i-i-i-i-ght

It's using H-1Bs to get superior talent.

Don't we want American companies to be as competitive as possible?

Don't we always say that government doesn't know as well as business how to run a business?  Why is it suddenly smart to have government tell businesses that they aren't doing their best to be competitive?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Ancient

Because the problem is that the government is already in the middle by creating a class of pseudo-slave tech workers.  The HR department believes that if they can treat H1b workers like trash then They can treat them all like trash...  government created this problem with the H1B visa....  the program is being abused and is not focused on the problem that justified it being created.

I think they not only should have the salary requirement, they should require that any H1b visa position have a citizen understudy to Learn the missing skill.  If the justification is that there is no American to fill the position, make one.