Author Topic: US-Russia Nuclear War To End The World? Atomic Bombs Will ‘Annihilate Earth-Originating Intelligent Life,’ Report Says - IBT  (Read 996 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
US-Russia Nuclear War To End The World? Atomic Bombs Will ‘Annihilate Earth-Originating Intelligent Life,’ Report Says
By Bruce Wright @bctw On 02/04/17 AT 12:10 AM

The very existence of the world as we know is being directly threatened by three pressing issues, according to a new report. Nuclear war was chief among them, followed by disease and climate change. They each and collectively pose a risk "where an adverse outcome would either annihilate Earth-originating intelligent life or permanently and drastically curtail its potential," the report on existential risks concluded.

The apocalyptic report, published Friday by The Future of Humanity Institute, was finalized after its authors interviewed some of the world's foremost experts on the topics. They deduced that the future of the earth was in jeopardy if nothing was done to combat or prevent a possible nuclear war.

Continued: http://www.ibtimes.com/us-russia-nuclear-war-end-world-atomic-bombs-will-annihilate-earth-originating-2486190

Sounds like the same kinds of predictions we've heard for years and gloomy reading for a Friday night, perhaps it needed to be posted. So an institute says this?

Offline montanajoe

I don't think an all out Russia/US first or second strike nuclear conflict is likely. A far more plausible scenario in my opinion, is that a terrorist organization simultaneously detonates one or two nuclear devices in both counties and each country in turn launches a massive retaliatory strike ..blowing all of us away :shrug:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I don't think an all out Russia/US first or second strike nuclear conflict is likely. A far more plausible scenario in my opinion, is that a terrorist organization simultaneously detonates one or two nuclear devices in both counties and each country in turn launches a massive retaliatory strike ..blowing all of us away :shrug:

Glad we have such a reasonable, calm, calculating leader in charge then.  22222frying pan

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

That also seems unlikely. Both nations know that the other isn't completely insane and as long as they aren't seeing launches from the other side they aren't going to retaliate. The alert level would redline on both sides but a retaliatory strike for an accidental or terrorist detonation is unlikely.

For that matter even a terrorist nuke is unlikely to result in a nuclear strike on the terrorist nation. It would kill too many citizens of other nations who would happen to be in the target nation at the time. (Like when we hit the Chinese embassy in Belgrade)

Wingnut

The 50's called... and they want their fear mongering back.