Author Topic: Pentagon strikes new F-35 deal with Lockheed after Trump involvement  (Read 775 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Pentagon strikes new F-35 deal with Lockheed after Trump involvement

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/03/pentagon-strikes-new-f-35-deal-with-lockheed-after-trump-involvement.html

Lockheed after Trump involvement
Published February 03, 2017 FoxNews.com
Facebook Twitter   livefyre Email Print
Now Playing

Wallace on Iran sanctions, Israeli settlements, Super Bowl

The Trump administration announced Friday that the Pentagon has reached a tentative deal with Lockheed Martin for the purchase of 90 F-35 jets at the lowest price in the program’s history – saving the government millions, officials said.

Trump, as president-elect, made headlines in December when he tweeted that the costs for the F-35 program were “out of control.”

This led to meetings and negotiations with the defense mega-contractor, apparently culminating in Friday's nearly $9 billion agreement.

Lt. Gen. Chris Bogdan, F-35 program executive officer, called the contract a "good and fair" deal for taxpayers.

"We continue to work with Industry to drive costs out of the program," he said in a statement.

Lockheed Martin, in a statement, acknowledged Trump's involvement spurred them to drive down the cost.

"President Trump’s personal involvement in the F-35 program accelerated the negotiations and sharpened our focus on driving down the price. The agreement was reached in a matter of weeks and represents significant savings over previous contracts. This is a good deal for the American taxpayer, our country, our company and our suppliers," the statement said.

The Pentagon announced the deal would bring the cost per jet for the F-35A below $100 million for the first time -- to $95 million, marking a 7.3 percent drop in price from the last order.

Officials estimated, based on the per-plane price of the most recent F-35 order, the new agreement represents a $728 million reduction.

--------------------
snip
------------------------------------

Fifteen days of winning.
@LonestarDream

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Pentagon strikes new F-35 deal with Lockheed after Trump involvement
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:56:39 am »
Kabuki theatre...LM made to look like the evil defense contractor (raw meat for the masses) and Trump gets to claim credit for bring them in line...

Sequestration has been a huge PITA for DoD for some time now and the Congress needs to act decisively and quickly to rectify this problem.

Truth be told, LM had been trying to negotiate with the DoD in order to help drive down the costs for some months now.

But I don't want to get in the way of any "fake" news.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 04:05:27 pm »
Don:

I know this is near a and dear to your heart.

LM had a decade to lower these prices and did not.

Now the prices fall even if the economics do not immediately line up.

It is a strategic move to win more biz with the feds.

More winning!!!
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

geronl

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 05:23:23 pm »
These things take months or years

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 05:28:39 pm »
Don:

I know this is near a and dear to your heart.

LM had a decade to lower these prices and did not.

Now the prices fall even if the economics do not immediately line up.

It is a strategic move to win more biz with the feds.

More winning!!!

@LonestarDream

Yes, I have personal concerns about things military. Among them are the social laboratory aspects, procurement and a somewhat opaque definition of what our national interest truly involves.

From time to time, I think of Eisenhower's Farewell Address. I was ten years old when he made it and at the time, it made no impression on me. Through my teen years, as I began to, consciously, try to develop a world view, I could parrot the antiwar shibboleths, including raging against the "military-industrial complex" with no real idea of what it even meant - only that I was against it. That is what the cool kids said, all that is that was important for a skull full of mush.

Fast forward 57 years and read that address, I am astounded at how his predictions and warnings have proved so accurate.

Thinking of posting his Address as a new topic in the WV board. Here's a link to the reading copy.

https://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/research/online_documents/farewell_address/Reading_Copy.pdf   

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 10:10:10 am »
Have you ever read Washington's Farewell Address?  If not you might be amazed at the things he warned us about and we ignored.