Author Topic: GOP senator: 'We only have so much power to repeal' ObamaCare  (Read 3542 times)

Offline r9etb

Re: GOP senator: 'We only have so much power to repeal' ObamaCare
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 06:24:15 pm »
Can't the GOP just defund it?  In essence that would kill it, one would think....

They can't defund it without a vote, which the Dems would filibuster forever because the GOP doesn't have the 60 votes necessary to stop it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 06:29:32 pm »
It didn't help that the last two GOP presidential candidates voters chose to nominate have a soft spot for it.

Trump is for it?

Seems to me I have seen him talking against Obomber Care. Am I wrong?
In that sense the GOP is getting this one right. They know that most conservatives really aren't and would turn on them if they did the right thing.

I disagree with your contention that "most conservatives really aren't (opposed to Obomber Care)".

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 06:33:28 pm »
It passed during reconciliation right? So I don't get his claim.

I'm not even in favor of a total repeal.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Neither am I.  I am just opposed to the current scheme,and scheme it is. There HAS to be a better way to insure health care for all American citizens.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 06:40:59 pm »
They can't defund it without a vote, which the Dems would filibuster forever because the GOP doesn't have the 60 votes necessary to stop it.

I beg to differ!

On any matter of appropriation the House can say NO! and if they stick to that the money will NEVER be in the budget!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 07:13:30 pm »
Did anyone actually read what he said?  Repealing some parts will require the votes needed to overcome a filibuster, i.e., 60 votes, and since the GOP doesn't have 60 votes in the Senate some democrats would have to go along, which is unlikely.  Thus, since that's unlikely, he is exactly correct that the GOPs ability to repeal Obastardcare root and branch is limited. 

That's simply a matter of fact, not a cop-out.

Then change the Senate rules. Play hardball, just like the dems have done all along.

2009: Obama said he would consider the GOP ideas, but told the assembled Republicans that "elections have consequences" and "I won."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

geronl

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 07:16:11 pm »
They have all the power.

It was passed by a bare majority and can be repealed the same way.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 08:21:40 pm »
Methinks he is confusing "power" with "backbone"

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 08:24:35 pm »

McConnell can change the rules as Reid did and was so fond of doing.

But The Post Turtle won't - because he favors big government Statism and the 'system's' integrity unbesmirched by less Statism.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 08:26:40 pm »
Can't the GOP just defund it?  In essence that would kill it, one would think....

Won't stop mandated coverage, elimination of life time caps. Things like elimination of the donut hole for seniors will be very hard to defund even with 51 votes... :shrug:

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 08:32:20 pm »
Pu**ies. The whole lot.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline r9etb

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 08:34:32 pm »
Won't stop mandated coverage, elimination of life time caps. Things like elimination of the donut hole for seniors will be very hard to defund even with 51 votes... :shrug:

There's no talking sense with some of these folks. 

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 09:23:08 pm »
There's no talking sense with some of these folks.

Some would rather be told what they want to hear than the truth.... which accounts for the existence of TOS and DU and many more... :whistle:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2017, 02:10:55 am »
In Heaven wrote (regarding obamacare):
"Sounds fair.  I mean, it took 60 votes to pass it, right?"

Do I not recall correctly that the entire ACA "obamacare" law -- all 2000+ pages of it -- was passed with only a majority vote (no filibuster)?
By virtue of a "sleight of hand" by Harry Reid?

I agree with "change the rules"
Nuke the filibuster, once and for all time.
I'm willing to live with the consequences.
Actually, I believe the filibuster "goes against the grain" of the Constitution, which specifically mentions those instances in which a supermajority is required in Congress.
But that's just me.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 02:13:32 am »

Do I not recall correctly that the entire ACA "obamacare" law -- all 2000+ pages of it -- was passed with only a majority vote (no filibuster)?

I agree with "change the rules"
Nuke the filibuster, once and for all time.
I'm willing to live with the consequences.
Actually, I believe the filibuster "goes against the grain" of the Constitution, which specifically mentions those instances in which a supermajority is required in Congress.
But that's just me.

Thought it was passed in reconciliation?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 05:08:04 am »

That's the way I remember it.  My comment was pure sarcasm.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2017, 05:20:42 am »
GOP senator: 'We only have so much power to repeal' ObamaCare
By Max Greenwood - 02/03/17 10:09 AM EST

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) is warning that the GOP can only do so much to repeal ObamaCare, downplaying lawmakers' ability to completely dismantle the law.

“We only have so much power to repeal certain elements of ObamaCare through reconciliation — 51 votes — the taxes, the subsidies,” Johnson told CNN on Friday morning.

“So many of the market reforms — I would call them the market distortions — that have caused premiums to skyrocket and out-of-pocket maximums and deductibles to skyrocket, those are probably going to need 60 votes. And it doesn’t sound like the Democrats are really willing to bear the responsibility of the mess they created.”

more
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/317733-gop-senator-republicans-only-have-so-much-power-to-repeal-elements-of
Well, there is only "so much" Obamacare, so that should be sufficient to eliminate it completely. Get 'er done or face the angry voters in the primary.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis