Author Topic: Jonah Goldberg on Berkeley Riots: Milo Courts this Stuff, Feeds on it, Has Parasitic Relationship with Violent Mobs  (Read 6351 times)

Silver Pines

It's worse than that.  Even the snippet on the GP site doesn't support Hoft's breathless outrage.

@r9etb

I agree completely.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

I just spend the better part of the day with my most liberal sister and I can confidently state that Milo can't stop baiting them any more than the left can resist being baited.

Both sides are out there daring the other side to shoot first with visions of glory but I wouldn't put money on either side for a sure win. The Chairborne rangers on the right talk tough but don't have what it takes to actually take to the streets for a real fight. The agitators on the left don't have any deficit of energy and seem to enjoy violence but lack direction.

I'd put my money on chaos to destroy all.

@Cripplecreek

And do any of us really think Milo and his kind would stick around for the fighting? 

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

I agree that there's no defense for the rioters, but I don't agree that Jonah should have had to limit his own free speech. 

The wording of the title was decided by the pro-Milo, anti-Goldberg site Gateway Pundit.  Clearly it's an attempt to further an agenda.  GP showed a snippet of the interview---the part about Milo---in order to label Jonah a "leftist."

Steve Hoft is a hack and he proved it with that edited video.

Here's more of the interview:

"UC-Berkeley Should Be Ashamed Of Itself"

http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M5fc62eb916cc7c9ec1a1689662b337c7o0&pid=15.1

Suffice it to say there is no excuse for what the rioters did.

It is remarkable, BTW, the effect this Milo character has on the campus progressive; he has all the attributes of a saint - flamboyantly gay, self aggrandizing, not American - but he ostentatiously rejects their politics. So their hatred for him burns white hot.

Like him or not he serves a useful purpose.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 10:20:02 pm by skeeter »

Offline endicom

Given the title of this thread Goldberg's comments can easily be construed as a tacit defense of the mobs actions. Perhaps it would've been better had he simply condemned the rioters, for whom there is utterly no defense, and saved his criticism for the 'attention whore' for some later article.

Yes. Goldberg weakened his condemnation of the rioters in criticising de Milo.

Offline r9etb

He stated something that was true.  And Mr. Hoft conveniently neglected to mention the rest.

Silver Pines

Suffice it to say there is no excuse for what the rioters did.

It is remarkable, BTW, the effect this Milo character has on the campus progressive; he has all the attributes of a saint - flamboyantly gay, self aggrandizing, not American - but he ostentatiously rejects their politics. So their hatred for him burns white hot.

@skeeter

Considering what I've seen from him, including the Instagram picture I mentioned earlier, I have absolutely no use for him.  Conservatives have fallen into a bad habit of cuddling up to people like him and excusing their behavior because they're on "our" side.  I think we can find plenty of other people to serve the same purpose without resorting to propping up his type.

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

Considering what I've seen from him, including the Instagram picture I mentioned earlier, I have absolutely no use for him.  Conservatives have fallen into a bad habit of cuddling up to people like him and excusing their behavior because they're on "our" side.  I think we can find plenty of other people to serve the same purpose without resorting to propping up his type.

You could've left it at 'I've no use for him'. That would've gotten your point across without somewhat mischaracterizing those who might not agree with you.

Silver Pines

@endicom

Not at all. Did you watch the rest of the video?  His condemnation for the rioters was far stronger than that for Milo.

I think the rioters are a bunch of savage animals, and yet I can't stand Milo.  That's the way it is, and my condemnation for neither is affected.

Offline Frank Cannon

He is also a stylish dresser.

Silver Pines

You could've left it at 'I've no use for him'. That would've gotten your point across without somewhat mischaracterizing those who might not agree with you.

@skeeter

I could have, but I didn't. 

You only have to look at another site where they fawn and gush over Milo.  Do you really think they would do that over any other gay guy who loves to talk about his sexual adventures, and who refers to a rich elderly man as "Daddy?"  Do you know what that slang means in the gay community?  Yet elsewhere, they've taken to posting pics of Trump on Milo threads with the caption "Daddy." 

So no.  It isn't mischaracterization at all. 

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

I could have, but I didn't. 

You only have to look at another site where they fawn and gush over Milo.  Do you really think they would do that over any other gay guy who loves to talk about his sexual adventures, and who refers to a rich elderly man as "Daddy?"  Do you know what that slang means in the gay community?  Yet elsewhere, they've taken to posting pics of Trump on Milo threads with the caption "Daddy." 

So no.  It isn't mischaracterization at all.

I wasn't referring to TOS. I was referring to myself.

But we've flogged this to death.

Wingnut

He is also a stylish dresser.

He is a clothes horse that boy and a hit at the fancy dress parties.