Author Topic: Trump suggests cutting federal funds to UC Berkeley after protests force cancellation of Yiannopoulos speech  (Read 842 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: LOS ANGELES TIMES

URL: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-milo-yiannopoulos-berkeley-20170201-story.html

Matt Hamilton, Teresa Watanabe and Peter H. King

A speech by conservative firebrand and  Milo Yiannopoulos was canceled at UC Berkeley on Wednesday amid violent protests that prompted President Trump to suggest cutting federal funding to the university.

If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view - NO FEDERAL FUNDS?

Trump wrote on Twitter.

It’s unclear whether Trump was actually threatening to cut funding or making some kind of rhetorical point. The larger UC system, for which Berkeley is the flagship campus, receives billions of dollars from the federal government to fund a variety of programs, notably research, student aid and healthcare programs.

Research is the most important area. 

“Federal funds are the university’s single most important source of support for research, generating $2.8 billion and accounting for nearly 51% of all university research expenditures in 2013-14,” according to a UC report. “While UC researchers receive support from virtually all federal agencies, the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation are the two largest sponsors, accounting for nearly 80% of UC’s federal research contract and grant awards.”

UC, for example, manages the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, which gets more than $700 million in federal funds, that report said.

As for federal student aid, UC got more than $1.6 billion in 2014. The UC’s medical facilities got $2.8 billion in federal money.

Yiannopoulos’ campus talks have generated protests and anger from students and faculty, but top UC officials have generally said they believe he has a right to speak.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It would be nice if for once, he said 'I'll ask congress to....', especially when it involves the NIH and NSF funding which aren't executive level departments.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Works for me.  If they don't want to be part of the US or to follow our laws, there's no reason why we should subsidize them.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
One more OUTRAGE from Trump…

that I fully agree with and endorse!