Author Topic: She Defied ISIS. Now The Trump Administration Won’t Let Her In.  (Read 750 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
She Defied ISIS. Now The Trump Administration Won’t Let Her In.
“It is not fair to equate victim and torturer,” says Vian Dakhil, the Iraqi lawmaker and ISIS opponent barred from coming to the US to accept her human rights award.
posted on Feb. 1, 2017, at 3:16 p.m.

Vian Dakhil Safin Hamed / AFP / Getty Images

The helicopter hurtled back to the earth with a horrific crash and everything went black. “Are you still alive?” someone said to her as she came to consciousness.

Vian Dakhil, the sole Yazidi member of Iraq’s parliament, was on an August 12, 2014 mission to aid and rescue fellow Yazidis displaced by ISIS’s rampage. But the helicopter became too loaded with passengers and crashed. The pilot was killed and several people were injured. A mangled leg, cracked ribs, and a head injury kept Dakhil hospitalized for 10 days and a year in recovery.

The injuries did not slow her down. She has spent the last two and a half years rescuing and tending to girls and young women kidnapped, enslaved, and raped by ISIS fighters, and children orphaned by the war. For her efforts, this year she won the prestigious Lantos Human Rights Prize, whose previous recipients included the Dalai Lama and Elie Wiesel. But she will almost certainly be unable to accept the award in person, because of President Donald Trump’s ban on all Iraqis visiting the US for 90 days — a move intended to block terror groups like ISIS that Dakhil has risked her life opposing.

Continued: https://www.buzzfeed.com/borzoudaragahi/meet-the-isis-defying-woman-the-us-thinks-is-too-risky-to-le?utm_term=.yoZP9xwBD#.tcL7kOKB5

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/02/01/travel-ban-blocks-iraqi-from-human-rights-award-ceremony-for-fighting-isis/lZS8ROhPUndDbp6SfRkaLN/story.html

Boston Globe article.

I wish she got a waiver; these are the things that happen during war and it is a war on terror.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:52:08 pm by TomSea »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: She Defied ISIS. Now The Trump Administration Won’t Let Her In.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:56:48 pm »
Unfortunate collateral damage from policy poorly conceived and executed.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 03:59:40 pm »

No it's fine. Bannon wants to sow chaos so he can institute his new society based on populism.

It's all fine.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 04:02:40 pm »

Agreed.  This sort of thing is why I think Trump probably doesn't find his footing until too late; and President Pence will have a terrible mess to clean up.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 04:02:46 pm »

No it's fine. Bannon wants to sow chaos so he can institute his new society based on populism.

It's all fine.

LOL. Any proof of that?

BTW, can anyone point out to me where this woman is not being allowed into the country? I see a lot of maybes but not one actual fact that she isn't being let in.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 04:20:25 pm »

It's all fine.

What in the world does that mean?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 04:22:33 pm »
LOL. Any proof of that?

BTW, can anyone point out to me where this woman is not being allowed into the country? I see a lot of maybes but not one actual fact that she isn't being let in.

Quiet.

We are wallowing in righteous indignation.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 04:23:52 pm »

What in the world does that mean?

Trump's supporters wanted to blow it all up.  :shrug:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 06:10:57 pm »
Bannon wants to sow chaos so he can institute his new society based on populism.

You've been paying attention!  888high58888
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn