Author Topic: For The Last Time: Stop Throwing ‘Never Trump’ Delusions In Our Faces  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: For The Last Time: Stop Throwing ‘Never Trump’ Delusions In Our Faces
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2017, 10:04:07 pm »
We have two groups of rabid extremists in control of the 2 major parties both daring the other to fire first out of a wrongheaded fantasy of final victory that will remain out of reach for both.

Yeah, exactly. Instead of what will really occur: mutual assured destruction.

HonestJohn

« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2017, 10:04:40 pm »
We have two groups of rabid extremists in control of the 2 major parties both daring the other to fire first out of a wrongheaded fantasy of final victory that will remain out of reach for both.

That's what gerrymandering produces.  When candidates only need to appease primary voters to win in the general election, it produces extremist candidates.  For only the very political of each party really vote in the primaries.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2017, 10:11:12 pm »
That's what gerrymandering produces.  When candidates only need to appease primary voters to win in the general election, it produces extremist candidates.  For only the very political of each party really vote in the primaries.

I dunno, I feel the most extremist candidate won the Primary and there wasn't really gerrymandering there.

But yeah, the two sides will keep escalating until something terrible happens, IMO. Already we've had people shot at these things. No joke.

HonestJohn

« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2017, 10:21:41 pm »

I dunno, I feel the most extremist candidate won the Primary and there wasn't really gerrymandering there.

But yeah, the two sides will keep escalating until something terrible happens, IMO. Already we've had people shot at these things. No joke.

I was really talking about statd voter districts.  They breed extremist candidates as they are drawn based on ideology, not population density.