Author Topic: Ukraine: Poroshenko Says Plans To Hold Referendum On Ukraine Joining NATO  (Read 627 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Poroshenko Says Plans To Hold Referendum On Ukraine Joining NATO

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko told German media that he is planning a referendum on whether Ukraine should join NATO now that polls show 54 percent of Ukrainians favor such a move.

"Four years ago, only 16 percent favored Ukraine's entry into NATO. Now it's 54 percent," Poroshenko told Germany's Funke Mediengruppe newspaper chain in an interview published on February 2.

"As president, I am guided by the views of my people, and I will hold a referendum on the issue of NATO membership."

Continued: http://www.rferl.org/a/poroshenko-says-plans-hold-referendum-ukraine-joining-nato-german-newspaper/28274357.html

geronl

That would also require NATO wanting Ukraine to join.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
That would also require NATO wanting Ukraine to join.

No doubt NATO will accept.

Now lets hope someone is keeping tabs on Paul Manafort and his activities.

Offline Just_Victor

I wonder if that referendum includes voting in the Crimea?  I'm betting not.

Russia may have hurt their overall influence in the region with their sponsoring the Ukraine rebellion.  If the Crimea were allowed to vote, the referendum would probably fail.  With the heavily pro Russia Crimea out of the picture, joining NATO might be a possibility.  Assuming NATO will take a country that is actively under assault from it's neighbor.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.