Author Topic: Sessions vote delayed as Democrats blast Yates firing  (Read 970 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sessions vote delayed as Democrats blast Yates firing
« on: January 31, 2017, 08:35:58 pm »

Sessions vote delayed as Democrats blast Yates firing

Democrats use the furor over Trump's dismissal of the acting attorney general to drag out committee vote for Sessions.

By Seung Min Kim

01/31/17 10:58 AM EST

Updated 01/31/17 02:07 PM EST

The already contentious battle over confirming Jeff Sessions as attorney general blew up further on Tuesday as Democrats used the surprise firing of Sally Yates as acting head of the Justice Department to argue that Sessions won’t be sufficiently independent from President Donald Trump.

And Democrats successfully dragged out the Sessions debate long enough that his committee vote got kicked to Wednesday. His eventual confirmation is not in doubt given that he has support from all Republicans and at least one moderate Senate Democrat, but Democrats are using every lever they have to make his nomination fight as painful as possible.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/sally-yates-fired-democrats-respond-234427
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Sessions vote delayed as Democrats blast Yates firing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:40:03 pm »
For every Dem that is maliciously blocking a nominee, issue another executive order to cut federal funding for their district and/or pet projects.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:43:52 pm »
I hope its clear to Trump by now that there will be no deal making with these people.

Its war. Running or hunkering down means certain defeat. Only one way to win - forward.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:58:29 pm »
Any excuse in a storm...

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:02:53 pm »
I hope its clear to Trump by now that there will be no deal making with these people.

Its war. Running or hunkering down means certain defeat. Only one way to win - forward.

I am hoping this and the ongoing attacks on his son and wife will end any tendency he has remaining toward his past support for Dem/Lib causes. AKA: A conservative rises from the ashes of a mugged liberal.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 09:06:44 pm »
Anyone know how long they can continue to delay voting on the nomination?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 10:06:56 pm »
Anyone know how long they can continue to delay voting on the nomination?

Forever, probably, unless the Rs can up the pressure on them, or change the rules to permit the vote to go ahead.

They certainly can't count on any media pressure to help them out.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 10:46:17 pm »
I agree Yates should never have been fired.............wait that's Yates should never have had to be fired, the B*tch should have resigned as soon as she decided that she would not do her job, but hey that's a demonrat for you!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 05:02:51 pm »
to argue that Sessions won’t be sufficiently independent from President Donald Trump.

Aren't all the departments and secretaries (and in fact the entire Executive branch of the government) supposed to implement the will of the president?  After all, the Constitution says:

"The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America."

and

"the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments."

As such, the proper role of every member of the Executive is to follow the directives of the sitting president.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline r9etb

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 05:11:24 pm »
Aren't all the departments and secretaries (and in fact the entire Executive branch of the government) supposed to implement the will of the president? 
As such, the proper role of every member of the Executive is to follow the directives of the sitting president.

Well, what we don't need is a micromanager president and a bunch of mindless rubber stamps filling chairs in the Cabinet offices.  That would be combining the very worst qualities of the Carter and Obama administrations.

Cabinet Secretaries exist not only to do the will of the president, but also to advise him, and keep him apprised of important issues that need to be addressed.  What we really want, is Cabinet members who can help the president to create and implement good policies, and we especially want Cabinet members who can spot stupid ideas, and are unafraid to call them stupid. 

If Sessions is that kind of guy, then he's a good fit.