Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch: A Worthy Heir to Scalia  (Read 6825 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Neil Gorsuch: A Worthy Heir to Scalia
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2017, 02:32:31 pm »
Just to keep everything in perspective...let's not forget that when nominated...John Roberts was thought to be a "rock ribbed" Conservative Justice and we were all happy that the left was apoplectic over his nomination.

Same with Anthony Kennedy.

How has that turned out for us?

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 02:39:00 pm »
Just to keep everything in perspective...let's not forget that when nominated...John Roberts was thought to be a "rock ribbed" Conservative Justice and we were all happy that the left was apoplectic over his nomination.

Not everyone was excited about Roberts. I wasn't that keen on him because his record was thin. I was a full out Harriet Myers hater. I was excited about Alito though.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2017, 02:46:48 pm »

With that being stated, again, I think it's very premature to be comparing him to Scalia.  Based on the records and information though that we have before us, and the approval from both Cruz and Lee, it doesn't appear that he should be a disappointment.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2017, 02:48:34 pm »
I was hoping a person of color might be picked to get the full backing of the Cruz supporters.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2017, 02:51:22 pm »
Not everyone was excited about Roberts. I wasn't that keen on him because his record was thin. I was a full out Harriet Myers hater. I was excited about Alito though.

I remember listening to Levin talk to Fred Thompson..he was the one that walked Justice Roberts through the nomination process IIRC and he spoke glowingly of Roberts...gave me the impression anyway that he was the perfect replacement for Rehnquist.  I was happy at the time to see him make it....thought it gave us five solid Constitutional justices on the bench.

Yeah well...

Myers was a mistake that is beyond comprehension.

I could do with a couple more justices like Sam Alito on the bench.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2017, 02:51:54 pm »
I was hoping a person of color might be picked to get the full backing of the Cruz supporters.

Really?  You have to play the race card thing?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:23:42 pm by txradioguy »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2017, 03:19:35 pm »
Conservative Review, National Review and Conservapedia and others are posting malicious gossip?

Gorsuch's Episcopalian church has declared its "unequivocal opposition" to pro-life laws and he has said nothing publicly pro-life. In addition, his church has a rapid response team to lobby against guns when the state legislature has hearings on gun bills.

You have got to be kidding. 

You know nothing.  Quite a few conservatives are Episcopalians.  And the fact that as a judge he's not open about his political opinions cannot honestly be held against him.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2017, 03:20:32 pm »
With that being stated, again, I think it's very premature to be comparing him to Scalia.  Based on the records and information though that we have before us, and the approval from both Cruz and Lee, it doesn't appear that he should be a disappointment.

I'll put this out there, I was a Cruz supporter and this nominee looks good, however, Cruz was a fanboi of Roberts, no? 

Maybe his discernment in these matters isn't all it's cracked up to be or maybe he's being used as a tool to quiet the peasants on the right who aren't Trump fanbois.

I'm skeptical of anything that comes out of DC and those things that look too good to be true.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2017, 03:26:42 pm »
Lifesite news and LifeNews hail Gorsuch as pro-life.

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/01/31/supreme-court-nominee-neil-gorsuch-sided-with-hobby-lobby-and-little-sisters-of-the-poor/
Sided with Hobby Lobby and Little Sisters of the Poor

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/02/01/planned-parenthood-slams-supreme-court-nominee-neil-gorsuch-hell-overturn-roe-v-wade/
Planned Parenthood slams Gorsuch

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/01/31/president-donald-trump-nominates-pro-life-friendly-judge-neil-gorsuch-to-the-supreme-court/
"Pro-Life Friendly"

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/breaking-trump-nominates-gorsuch-to-supreme-court
Trump nominates pro-life Gorsuch to Supreme Court

20 years ago, Colorado was very conservative and still is in parts like Colorado Springs, he is from the Springs area I think.

I do see Conservapedia's little rant; it's not very clear.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Trump_Supreme_Court

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2017, 03:29:07 pm »
Lifesite news and LifeNews hail Gorsuch as pro-life.

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/01/31/supreme-court-nominee-neil-gorsuch-sided-with-hobby-lobby-and-little-sisters-of-the-poor/
Sided with Hobby Lobby and Little Sisters of the Poor

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/02/01/planned-parenthood-slams-supreme-court-nominee-neil-gorsuch-hell-overturn-roe-v-wade/
Planned Parenthood slams Gorsuch

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/01/31/president-donald-trump-nominates-pro-life-friendly-judge-neil-gorsuch-to-the-supreme-court/
"Pro-Life Friendly"

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/breaking-trump-nominates-gorsuch-to-supreme-court
Trump nominates pro-life Gorsuch to Supreme Court

20 years ago, Colorado was very conservative and still is in parts like Colorado Springs, he is from the Springs area I think.

I do see Conservapedia's little rant; it's not very clear.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Trump_Supreme_Court

MUCH more importantly, he is pro Constitution!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2017, 03:32:28 pm »
Of Roe v. Wade, Gorsuch wrote that there is "no constitutional basis" for giving a mother more rights than her unborn child (The Future of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia, p. 82):

In Roe, the Court explained that, had it found the fetus to be a “person” for purposes of the Fourteenth Amendment, it could not have created a right to abortion because no constitutional basis exists for preferring the mother’s liberty interests over the child’s life.

It almost sounds like the italics above fits into what Conservapedia was objecting too; which is a pretty weak and perhaps even deceitful way to interpret what the nominee said.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:38:40 pm by TomSea »

Silver Pines

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2017, 03:33:58 pm »
I'll put this out there, I was a Cruz supporter and this nominee looks good, however, Cruz was a fanboi of Roberts, no? 

Maybe his discernment in these matters isn't all it's cracked up to be or maybe he's being used as a tool to quiet the peasants on the right who aren't Trump fanbois.

I'm skeptical of anything that comes out of DC and those things that look too good to be true.

@SZonian

Cruz supported Roberts' nomination once it was made, but he says he would have nominated his former boss, Mike Luttig, if he'd had the choice.

Either way, I don't expect Ted to be perfect.  And considering the meaning of "boi", I certainly would not apply that derogatory term to him.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2017, 03:37:28 pm »

Oh. That's fancy. So Gorsuch is a POS because Cruz blows. Well who exactly do you want on the bench? Enthrall me with your acumen.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2017, 03:39:46 pm »

Yes, and he has publicly stated and admitted that his support for Roberts was a mistake and he regrets it.  With that being said, Mike Lee has also come out and stated that he also supports the nomination of Gorsuch.

No one is perfect nor infallible; that's what separates the humans from the robots.  I still trust in Cruz's opinion.  You of course are entitled to yours.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:43:30 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2017, 03:40:11 pm »
Oh. That's fancy. So Gorsuch is a POS because Cruz blows. Well who exactly do you want on the bench? Enthrall me with your acumen.

:silly:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2017, 03:41:00 pm »
Gorsuch will be grilled over these questions and that will tell us one thing or two.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2017, 03:44:19 pm »
Skiing clothing out of Colorado and Utah;  Gorsuch.  This may well be his family.

https://www.gorsuch.com/category/gorsuch/stores.do

Offline endicom

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2017, 03:46:18 pm »
From the NYT, via Richard Fernandez https://twitter.com/wretchardthecat

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2017, 03:51:04 pm »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2017, 03:55:35 pm »
Fourth, Hot Air’s Ed Morrissey has reviewed Gorsuch’s 2006 book, “The Future of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia,” in which the judge makes (in Morrissey’s paraphrasing) a powerful case for the “intrinsic value of human life, and its correlation to equal treatment under the law.” That strongly suggests he’s not merely in the “personally pro-life” camp, but that he recognizes that the right to life is a matter of justice.

In the book, Gorsuch also makes the astute observation that “no constitutional basis exists for preferring the mother’s liberty interests over the child’s life,” which is why Roe opted to simply dodge the subject of personhood (a strong hint as to what he thinks of Roe, but not an outright condemnation).

Finally, Gorsuch does have one pro-life detractor: Andy Schlafly, pro-life activist and son of the late pro-life icon Phyllis Schlafly, who has been waging a one-man war against many of the very nominees on Trump’s list that his mother enthusiastically supported. Schlafly claims Gorsuch is almost certainly not pro-life, but Ethics and Public Policy Center president Ed Whelan refuted his charges in extensive detail, showing Schlafly’s case to be a mix of convoluted, speculative reaching and a twisting of rulings to mean the opposite of how Gorsuch actually came down.

http://liveactionnews.org/a-pro-life-look-at-trumps-scotus-frontrunner-neil-gorsuch/

And an Originalist.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:56:11 pm by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2017, 04:06:41 pm »
From the NYT, via Richard Fernandez https://twitter.com/wretchardthecat

You've got Gorsuch moved too far to the right.  Actually he shouldn't be on that chart until he's actually been a part of some rulings from his new position.

It's just wishful thinking on your part at this point.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2017, 04:09:21 pm »
The guy who made that chart doesn't appear to have any qualifications at all to make his opinion worth anything on that issue.  But, I did click on the link and look at his Twitter feed, and saw this:

"The current political tension is because all the things that were left unsaid are now being said, the between the lines now in the open."

I think that's completely true.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2017, 04:14:10 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin - thank you for your thoughtful and insightful posts here.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2017, 04:15:38 pm »
You've got Gorsuch moved too far to the right.  Actually he shouldn't be on that chart until he's actually been a part of some rulings from his new position.

It's just wishful thinking on your part at this point.

Perhaps true, but the image is not an @endicom creation.  It is a re-post.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2017, 04:16:01 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin - thank you for your thoughtful and insightful posts here.

Aw, schucks....

But thanks anyway.