Author Topic: BREAKING: President Trump’s Pick for SUPREME COURT Has Just Been Revealed… Meet Neil Gorsuch  (Read 19084 times)

Online roamer_1

Can you explain to me how his decisions in regards to Hobby Lobby and The Little Sisters as well as the book he authored makes him ambiguous on life?

You can polish the turd all you like... But to be in a position to become SCOTUS without an unequivocal position on LIFE hardly brings confidence.

Offline Frank Cannon

You can polish the turd all you like... But to be in a position to become SCOTUS without an unequivocal position on LIFE hardly brings confidence.

Did you support John Roberts?

Online roamer_1

Did you support John Roberts?

No, the best I could get to was indifference.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I'm happy with this choice.

He's also extremely handsome, which is a nice bonus, but he seems like a very nice man in every regard.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
He attends a pro-abortion, anti-gun church

Gorsuch's Episcopalian church has declared its "unequivocal opposition" to pro-life laws and he has said nothing publicly pro-life. In addition, his church has a rapid response team to lobby against guns when the state legislature has hearings on gun bills.
I have been looking for his position on the RKBA. If anyone has info, please link it.
Everyone seems excited that he is from Colorado.
Meh.
Colorado has such draconian gun laws they drove much of Magpul's production out of the state with magazine capacity rules. In addition, the state is a hotbed of liberals and tree-hugger types who wanted to ban fraccing, and among other things legalized pot for recreational use. It is the most californicated of the Western States.
I'd want more time to vett the guy before I went all gaga over his nomination.

It may be that he is a great nominee, but I'm ever cautious when it comes to SCOTUS.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
In our legal order,  judges distinguish themselves from politicians by the oath they take to apply the law as it is, not to reshape the law as they wish it to be.

-  Judge Neil Gorsuch

We need to decide whether we really want a conservative jurist or not.    Do we want a Justice who will be an originalist, who will apply the law as written,  and will respect the limited role of an appellate court including the ancient tradition of stare decisis?    If we do,  then by all means get behind and support Judge Gorsuch.

If we want a judicial activist, willing to rip the scab off the body politic and overturn the settled order on such matters as abortion,  then Gorsuch,  I hope and believe, is the wrong man for the job.   

Geronl,  you don't want a conservative,  you want a crusader for fetuses.   That's fine - support such crusaders for Congress and your state legislature.   But overturning the rights and settled expectations of millions is not what a conservative jurist should be doing.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
-  Judge Neil Gorsuch

We need to decide whether we really want a conservative jurist or not.    Do we want a Justice who will be an originalist, who will apply the law as written,  and will respect the limited role of an appellate court including the ancient tradition of stare decisis?    If we do,  then by all means get behind and support Judge Gorsuch.

If we want a judicial activist, willing to rip the scab off the body politic and overturn the settled order on such matters as abortion,  then Gorsuch,  I hope and believe, is the wrong man for the job.   

Geronl,  you don't want a conservative,  you want a crusader for fetuses.   That's fine - support such crusaders for Congress and your state legislature.   But overturning the rights and settled expectations of millions is not what a conservative jurist should be doing.   

goopo
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Smokin Joe

-  Judge Neil Gorsuch

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness...

Rights and settled expectations? I expect without the Right to Life, all else is moot.

Decades of error will not change that, any more than decades of people trying to interpret the 2nd Amendment as a collective Right of the Militia rather than an Individual Right will alter the intent of that. There are ample ways to prevent conception without killing anyone, and ample ways to deal with the natural result of reproductive activities which do not involve the killing of the one person who has no choice in the matter.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness...

Rights and settled expectations? I expect without the Right to Life, all else is moot.

Decades of error will not change that, any more than decades of people trying to interpret the 2nd Amendment as a collective Right of the Militia rather than an Individual Right will alter the intent of that.

If that's your obsession, then lobby your elected representatives.  If Roe v. Wade was "error", the responsibility for changing it lies with the people and the Constitutional amendment process.   After 40 years, no conservative jurist worthy of the name will overturn the settled expectations of every woman of child-bearing age in America.   If you want a judicial activist,  then say so.   But don't ever utter the word "conservative" again.   

There are ample ways to prevent conception without killing anyone, and ample ways to deal with the natural result of reproductive activities which do not involve the killing of the one person who has no choice in the matter.

Of course there are.   And there are ample ways of reducing the need for abortion other than denying the legal rights of women.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:32:48 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Mom MD

Decades of error will not change that, any more than decades of people trying to interpret the 2nd Amendment as a collective Right of the Militia rather than an Individual Right will alter the intent of that. There are ample ways to prevent conception without killing anyone, and ample ways to deal with the natural result of reproductive activities which do not involve the killing of the one person who has no choice in the matter.

Dont waste your breath.  He is a baby killer in love with his own circular reasoning.  Dont feed the bears and maybe he will go away,
God is still in control

Online Smokin Joe

If that's your obsession, then lobby your elected representatives.  If Roe v. Wade was "error", the responsibility for changing it lies with the people and the Constitutional amendment process.   After 40 years, no conservative jurist worthy of the name will overturn the settled expectations of every woman of child-bearing age in America.   If you want a judicial activist,  then say so.   But don't ever utter the word "conservative" again.
In 1860, the reasonable expectation of all but those offended by the idea was that one would be able to own other people. That had a far longer tradition than the contrived "Right" to kill a baby in the womb. That took a Constitutional Amendment, too.
I'm all for overturning Miller, too, and getting rid of the NFA of '34.
As for what you call that, well, frankly, I don't give a damn. I have been called a lot of things for wanting what is right and just. I won't back down on my principles, and I vote for candidates who recognize that fundamental right over any who will not. I support jurists who won't overturn those fundamental rights.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:37:19 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Dont waste your breath.  He is a baby killer in love with his own circular reasoning.  Dont feed the bears and maybe he will go away,

I oppose abortion just as you do.   If all you can muster is vile name-calling,  then I'll redouble my efforts.

Overturning Roe v. Wade is an obsession, not a viable strategy for saving unborn lives.  For that,  volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center.   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:17:23 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
-  Judge Neil Gorsuch

If we do indeed get a judge who is an originalist...you are going to be very disappointed where two of your pet causes are concerned.

Originalists don't see phony "rights" where there are none.  They apply the Constitution as it was written.

And @geronl isn't' a "champion of fetuses"...he's an advocate for life...ALL life...which yet again you are proving that you aren't.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I oppose abortion just as you do. 

No you are a champion and a defender of it here....we have your own words to prove that.

Overturning Roe v. Wade is an obsession, not a viable strategy for saving unborn lives.  For that,  volunteer at a crisis pregnancy center.

Actually it's a course correction to the Constitution...putting it back on the footing it was originally...not where some Liberal justices took it.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Oceander

Thinking Roe v. Wade will be overturned in anyone's lifetime is a fools errand.  Miranda rights are as much an invention of a liberal court as is Roe v. Wade, and yet when the Court was given the opportunity to overturn Miranda it refused to do so, citing in part to stare decisis, the wealth of precedent that had built up around it, and settled expectations.  Roe v. Wade is as much a matter of those three factors.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

As someone who has read his opinions and even appeared before him, you've got nothing to worry about.  You're looking at the specific issue of abortion as the only reliable indicator of where he would stand on that issue.  In fact, the core of his judicial philosophy -- everything he's been ever since he's been on the bench -- is the antithesis of Roe.  He will oppose Roe not because he's anti-abortion personally (though he probably is that as well) but because the legal reasoning behind Roe is absolutely indefensible for someone who sees the law as he does.  He has never once swayed from holding that the Constitution should be interpreted as it was meant when it was written, focusing on the text.  Roe simply cannot be defended on that ground.

And Roe doesn't even make it on stare decisis.  In the legal sense, "expectations" means that behaviors have changed based in reliance on law -- that there will be ancillary effects from repealing a law that didn't exist when the issue was first decided.  A good example of that are the decisions that have given so much power to regulatory agencies.  As wrong as they were, much of our legal and economic system is built on the foundation of the regulations and procedures implemented since those decisions.  If you tossed all of that out by saying "every single bit of existing federal rulemaking is unconstitutional", you'd have a whole lot of severe ancillary effects that would go beyond just eliminating the power of those agencies.  The best you could do is eliminate that authority moving forward.

In terms of abortion, that means that any decision would have delayed implementation so that it wouldn't affect women who already are pregnant.  And, of course, there is the even bigger issue that reversing Roe does not actually outlaw abortion.  It would simply return it to being a state issue, so stare decisis would be even weaker.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:12:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
As someone who has read his opinions and even appeared before him, you've got nothing to worry about.  You're looking at the specific issue of abortion as the only reliable indicator of where he would stand on that issue.  In fact, the core of his judicial philosophy -- everything he's been ever since he's been on the bench -- is the antithesis of Roe.  He will oppose Roe not because he's anti-abortion personally (though he probably is that as well) but because the legal reasoning behind Roe is absolutely indefensible for someone who sees the law as he does.  He has never once swayed from holding that the Constitution should be interpreted as it was meant when it was written, focusing on the text.  Roe simply cannot be defended on that ground.

He clerked for Byron White...and correct me if I'm wrong...White was against Roe and it's sister decision Doe...stands to reason that White's judicial philosophy rubbed off on him a little.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Thinking Roe v. Wade will be overturned in anyone's lifetime is a fools errand.  Miranda rights are as much an invention of a liberal court as is Roe v. Wade, and yet when the Court was given the opportunity to overturn Miranda it refused to do so, citing in part to stare decisis, the wealth of precedent that had built up around it, and settled expectations.  Roe v. Wade is as much a matter of those three factors.

Exactly.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Actually it's a course correction to the Constitution...putting it back on the footing it was originally...not where some Liberal justices took it.

No, at this late date it would be radical judicial activism.  That "course correction" would deny the rights of 150 million women.

Well said, Oceander.    Those wishing to overturn Roe should do it the right way - the Constitutional amendment process.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
No, at this late date it would be radical judicial activism.

Only to radical Pro choicers like yourself.

That "course correction" would deny the rights of 150 million women.

Abortion isn't a "right".

Well said, Oceander.    Those wishing to overturn Roe should do it the right way - the Constitutional amendment process.   

So it was perfectly ok by you for the Court to create law and a mythical "right" where there was none...but the same nine black robes can't fix a lousy decision the same way?

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

And Roe doesn't even make it on stare decisis.  In the legal sense, "expectations" means that behaviors have changed based in reliance on law -- that there will be ancillary effects from repealing a law that didn't exist when the issue was first decided.  A good example of that are the decisions that have given so much power to regulatory agencies.  As wrong as they were, much of our legal and economic system is built on the foundation of the regulations and procedures implemented since those decisions.  If you tossed all of that out by saying "every single bit of existing federal rulemaking is unconstitutional", you'd have a whole lot of severe ancillary effects that would go beyond just eliminating the power of those agencies.  The best you could do is eliminate that authority moving forward.

In terms of abortion, that means that any decision would have delayed implementation so that it wouldn't affect women who already are pregnant.  And, of course, there is the even bigger issue that reversing Roe does not actually outlaw abortion.  It would simply return it to being a state issue, so stare decisis would be even weaker.

Great post and I am all for a justice who believes that the Constitution should be interpreted as it was meant when it was written, focusing on the text. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

He clerked for Byron White...and correct me if I'm wrong...White was against Roe and it's sister decision Doe...stands to reason that White's judicial philosophy rubbed off on him a little.

White was a vote against Roe, although generally, it's not accurate to assume that a particular clerk shared his judge's position on all substantive issues.  That's particularly true for Justices who are occasional swing votes.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

There is judicial precedence for Miranda in the 5th Amendment as well as the 6th...I don't see in anything I've studied any Constitutional solid footing for Roe.

Seems to me Roe being reversed should be a no brainier.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
White was a vote against Roe, although generally, it's not accurate to assume that a particular clerk shared his judge's position on all substantive issues.  That's particularly true for Justices who are occasional swing votes.

Ok that makes sense.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

No, at this late date it would be radical judicial activism.  That "course correction" would deny the rights of 150 million women.

That's not a stare decisis argument - that's an argument for recognizing it as a constitutional right in the first place.

Abortion is one of those issues where stare decisis is at its weakest.  Every non-pregnant woman starts with a clean slate, and would be in no better or worse a position that any woman would have been in prior to Roe.

It's far stronger for things like Obergefell, which creating long-term legal familial relations that could endure for decades, and around which a whole bunch of contractual and quasi-contractual rights are based.