Author Topic: BREAKING: President Trump’s Pick for SUPREME COURT Has Just Been Revealed… Meet Neil Gorsuch  (Read 18823 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: TOP RIGHT NEWS

URL: http://toprightnews.com/breaking-trumps-pick-for-supreme-court-was-just-revealed/

One of the most anticipated moves of the new president — his nomination of a justice to fill the vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court — has been revealed.

And conservatives are likely to be thrilled by the choice.

The Independent Journal Review (IJR) is reporting that, based on the confirmation from two Trump administration sources, Colorado Judge Neil Gorsuch will be nominated by President Donald Trump to be the next Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

See here: http://ijr.com/2017/01/790802-exclusive-president-trumps-supreme-court-pick-confirmed/

The IJR report reads:

Speaking on background, an administration source instrumental to the SCOTUS selection process tells IJR, “Yes. It is Gorsuch. 100 percent. The Hardiman thing is a head fake.” Thomas Hardiman is the other Judge Trump was considering for the vacancy, who is also in Washington, D.C.

A second source within the Trump administration confirmed IJR’s reporting.

Gorsuch, currently 49 years old, would become one of the youngest SCOTUS appointments in history. The Colorado native attended Harvard Law with former President Barack Obama and is a “strict Constitutionalist,” says IJR.

According to Politico:

Gorsuch has the typical pedigree of a high court justice. He graduated from Columbia, Harvard and Oxford, clerked for two Supreme Court justices and did a stint at the Department of Justice.

Gorsuch had worked in the Justice Department under former President George W. Bush, prior to being appointed to Denver’s 10th US Circuit Court of Appeals, a post he will vacate should he accept the nomination for SCOTUS.

Should he be appointed, Gorsuch would follow in the footsteps of the late Justice Antonin Scalia, as he has come to be known as a “textualist,” or someone whose interpretation of laws is based on the actual text rather than trying to decipher the “intent” of lawmakers or other potential consequences.

“Judges should instead strive, if humanly and so imperfectly, to apply the law as it is, focusing backward, not forward, and looking to text, structure, and history to decide what a reasonable reader at the time of the events in question would have understood the law to be,” Gorsuch said in a speech to Case Western Reserve University’s law school shortly after Scalia passed away.

Further, Gorsuch can also be described as a constitutionalist and adheres to “originalism” when interpreting the U.S. Constitution.

In other words, he believes the Constitution should be interpreted as America’s Founders intended.

Sounds like Gorsuch will be a worthy successor indeed to the late, great Antonin Scalia (see Gorsuch and Scalia fishing in the photo below). Let the confirmation battle begin.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:39:08 am by SirLinksALot »

Offline skeeter

From Wiki: Gorsuch is a proponent of originalism, the idea that the Constitution should be interpreted as the Founding Fathers would have interpreted it, and of textualism, the idea that statutes should be interpreted literally, without considering the legislative history and underlying purpose of the law.

AND he's only 49.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:31:28 pm by skeeter »

Offline Polly Ticks

This makes me very happy.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Excellent choice if he is in fact the nominee!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
He was actually one of the better choices. At least it wasn't Hardiman who was moderate in a lot of areas.

Originalists are better than activists.

Offline andy58-in-nh

And now we know who will be the singular subject of frenzied dumpster-diving by George Soros' paid minions. I expect David Brock is already up to his greasy elbows in the slime, looking for ancient court records and compromising cell phone photos. Has MSNBC called his a "racist" yet?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline skeeter

And now we know who will be the singular subject of frenzied dumpster-diving by George Soros' paid minions. I expect David Brock is already up to his greasy elbows in the slime, looking for ancient court records and compromising cell phone photos. Has MSNBC called his a "racist" yet?

The beauty of that is the MSM will be screeching to the faithful only - the rest of the population now know how the game is played.

However, the wildcard remains the feckless poltroons in the GOP.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Ok. Good step forward. Now, how do we get rid of Roberts?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The beauty of that is the MSM will be screeching to the faithful only - the rest of the population now know how the game is played.

Yep!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

I don't like that Gorsuch thinks the government owns our lives, not us.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline corbe

Hope this is correct, of the 3 I believe him to be the most in the mold of Scalia, though we have seen how wrong we can be on these things when they actually get on the court, ie.. Kennedy.
    It will be delightful watching the continuing saga of the dems and they run around crying looking for something, anything to bash us with.  The weak link here is McConnell and whether he can deliver in spite of Sen. Lee and Cruz's statements. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Don't be deceived.

McConnell and the GOP Oligarchy at Mordor on the Potomac do not want Originalists on the Bench anymore than the Commie-Libtards do.

They'll use the Democrats as scapegoats as to why they cannot support such a Conservative and need to choose someone "both sides" can support.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline montanajoe

Good choice.

I like his positions regarding church/state. Being from the west is a definite plus because he will bring an understanding of public lands that many from the East just can't grasp.

If the Trump administration can manage to stop making unforced errors that become distractions and focus on getting him confirmed I'll be happy :shrug:

Offline SirLinksALot

Ok. Good step forward. Now, how do we get rid of Roberts?

Who we need to get rid of ( top on the list is the priority ):

Ginsberg
Sotomayor
Breyer
Kagan
Kennedy
Roberts

Offline SirLinksALot

I don't like that Gorsuch thinks the government owns our lives, not us.

Can you cite a case that tells us this?

Offline skeeter

Who we need to get rid of ( top on the list is the priority ):

Ginsberg
Sotomayor
Breyer
Kagan
Kennedy
Roberts

Your no. one will resolve itself very soon, I think.

Offline SirLinksALot

From the NATIONAL REVIEW:

That Judge Gorsuch’s judicial philosophy is similar to Justice Scalia’s is evident from a tribute the former gave after the latter’s death. In that tribute, Gorsuch summarized and endorsed Scalia’s method of legal interpretation: Judges should instead strive (if humanly and so imperfectly) to apply the law as it is, focusing backward, not forward, and looking to text, structure, and history to decide what a reasonable reader at the time of the events in question would have understood the law to be — not to decide cases based on their own moral convictions or the policy consequences they believe might serve society best. As Justice Scalia put it, “if you’re going to be a good and faithful judge, you have to resign yourself to the fact that you’re not always going to like the conclusions you reach. If you like them all the time, you’re probably doing something wrong.”

A lawyer who clerked for both Justice Scalia and Judge Gorsuch sees parallels between the two men. Gorsuch is “a law-has-right-answers kind of guy, an originalist and a textualist,” he says. “He believes that the enterprise of law is real and worth doing and not just politics by other means.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444437/neil-gorsuch-antonin-scalia-supreme-court-textualist-originalist-heir

I also like the fact that his last name rhymes with GORE SUCKS   :tongue2:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:02:05 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I thought unnamed sources were bad?

Just sayin...

Seems to be solid on religious freedoms...and how the Constitution should be interpreted...not so much on interstate commerce and the role of federal agencies.

I'm guessing the left will try to frame him as a bible thumping anti abortionist.

Assuming the anonymus sources we aren't supposed to believe are correct and he is the pick.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline SirLinksALot

And here's why I like Gorsuch even more:

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/atheist-group-attacks-scotus-candidates-william-pryor-neil-gorsuch-thomas-hardiman-on-roe-v-wade-homosexuality-the-secularization-of-america-96034/

Title: Atheist Group Attacks SCOTUS Candidates William Pryor, Neil Gorsuch, Thomas Hardiman On Roe V Wade, Homosexuality, The Secularization Of America

geronl

Apparently Trump invited two of the three to the White House for the announcement

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline Frank Cannon

My unnamed sources tell me Donny is going a different direction on this pick....