Author Topic: The Limits of Liberal Open-Mindedness  (Read 452 times)

rangerrebew

The Limits of Liberal Open-Mindedness
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:06:38 pm »

The Limits of Liberal Open-Mindedness
Women’s March on Washington. Flickr/Creative Commons/Mobilus In Mobili
Cheryl Benard

At age sixty-two, as a politically minded person living in “interesting times,” I have seen a lot of controversy. As a college student, I demonstrated against the Vietnam War, for women’s rights and against apartheid. My dissertation was on Arab anticolonial movements; my postdoctoral work was on the Black Power movement. Later, at a European think tank, I ran projects on how to better integrate Turkish migrant workers and Bosnian refugees. I spent time in Afghan refugee camps in Pakistan designing aid programs that would adequately reach their isolated and downtrodden women. I was an outspoken feminist, which caused me a lot of trouble with conservative professors, at conferences and with the ministries who funded my work, but I was part of a thrilling movement, and we persevered and achieved amazing changes. Later, right after 9/11, I got laughed out of State Department meetings for suggesting that a significant group of moderate Muslim opinion leaders existed and should be supported—something that has since, of course, become the dominant view.

When I think back and remember the postures that were considered radical at one time, I feel a sense, not only of accomplishment, but also of bemusement. Today, the views that got me denounced or mocked as a crazed radical are totally mainstream, and I sometimes have to pinch myself when I hear some conservative scion of industry or high-ranking military officer nonchalantly say something about gender equality that had earned me hoots of scorn when I was in my twenties.

In short, I have been a lifelong liberal. I had like-minded friends, and adversaries, and then there were those who disagreed but were willing to debate, and even those who invited me especially because it would liven up their dinner table talk. My father, a very traditional Southerner, was aghast at some of my views, but he never stood in my way; he merely told me that whatever I did or said, I should be sure that ten years down the road I would still be willing to own up to it in public. Here’s what never happened: I never lost a friend because they didn’t agree with one of my opinions.

Source URL (retrieved on January 31, 2017): http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-limits-liberal-open-mindedness-19245

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Limits of Liberal Open-Mindedness
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:18:45 am »
The Louvin Brothers: "Broadminded"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKuXNqFdKWE

Offline mountaineer

Re: The Limits of Liberal Open-Mindedness
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:41:34 pm »
This article is fairly long but is excellent. I was about to post it when I saw ranger already had done so - thanks, @rangerrebew
...  The wheel has turned so far that Trump, the wealthy capitalist with the all-marble home, is today the one who takes the “masses” seriously, who was willing to meet them “where they are”—geographically, linguistically and on policy. But will he now lead them, and all of us, to a pragmatic, problem-solving, middle-ground place? He says he wants to. Shouldn’t we be trying to make that happen—with him—instead of putting on little knit pink hats and dumping piles of angry, vulgar, deliberately provocative placards on his doorstep, which more or less sends the message that our values are political litter? ...

Don’t like his refugee policy? Angry about his freeze on visas from “problem” countries? That’s fine—suggest an alternative that you think can equally allow us to know whom we are admitting to our country, and what their intentions are towards us. That’s a bit harder, you may find, than painting a feel-good sign that says “refugees welcome.” ...
I appreciate her pragmatism.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org