Author Topic: Rand Paul: “Constitution Doesn’t Apply to People Not in U.S”  (Read 1771 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Rand Paul: “Constitution Doesn’t Apply to People Not in U.S”

By: Elias J. Atienza

Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky) said that the Constitution doesn’t “apply to people who have not yet come to our country” in an interview with Andrew Wilkow, host of the “Wilkow Majority.” Speaking on President Donald Trump‘s executive orders on immigration, Paul argued that the United States has the right to make any “immigration law.”

“So if you want to be an immigrant into our country, the Constitution doesn’t apply to you, and we have every right to make any immigration law we want,” Paul said. “Now a lot of us have the sensibility, myself included, that it shouldn’t be based on religion who is admitted to the country.”

Paul also said that it was almost impossible to properly vet refugees due to the instability of the region. In addition, he also noted that mass migration in Germany has not panned out well for the European state and that many of them were not coming from Syria, but from Afghanistan and Pakistan. While he conceded that some of them might be refugees, he said there was no way to actually verify it.

Continued: http://masscentral.com/rand-paul-constitution-doesnt-apply-to-people-not-in-u-s/

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Rand Paul: “Constitution Doesn’t Apply to People Not in U.S”
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:39:40 am »
Gosh. So foreign nationals are not protected by the same rights I am protected by? What a revelation....and the reason Trumps order is fine in my book.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 05:12:14 am »
Nope, but it applies to how our government behaves

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 05:46:16 am »
Nope, but it applies to how our government behaves

Protecting the homeland? It's one of the few things it's supposed to do.

I guess checking into foreign nationals and maybe inconveniencing some of these travelers is offensive to an open borders, globalist, let 'em all flood in the gates sort of fellow like you. That's too bad.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 06:29:16 am »
It doesn't apply to those not in the U.S. and those named Obama.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:26:26 pm »
It really isn't so tough. It isn't as if the US Constitution isn't available for all to read, most anywhere.

If you aren't from here and want those protections, that arrangement of government in your country, then adopt a version of the US Constitution there, too.

Make it (or something very similar) the law of YOUR land.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 12:38:54 pm »
It doesn't even apply to American citizens outside the USA.

Run afoul of the law in a foreign country and you're pretty much on your own unless the American embassy feels that its important enough to involve themselves in and more often than not, they don't waste their time on it.

I once saw a Canadian cop reminding a mouthy American friend that "Your American constitution doesn't mean squat to me here in Canada".

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 12:45:57 pm »
It really isn't so tough. It isn't as if the US Constitution isn't available for all to read, most anywhere.

If you aren't from here and want those protections, that arrangement of government in your country, then adopt a version of the US Constitution there, too.

Make it (or something very similar) the law of YOUR land.

I told my Mexican friend what they should do is come here and instead of demanding, or expecting all these rights and privileges they should buy all the guns they want and go back and make their country what they want it to be.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jpsb

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 01:48:12 pm »
Yes, Rand! Finally someone telling it like it is. Prior to Trump I was split between Rand and Ted with Rand having a slight advantage. We need more in DC like Rand Paul. But Rand needs to brush up a tad more on (Sunni) Islam, it's not just a religion, it's a dangerous anti-everything-but-Islam doctrine.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 02:54:50 pm »
That is why we placed Guantanomo on non-US soil
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 03:29:24 pm »
Protecting the homeland? It's one of the few things it's supposed to do.

I guess checking into foreign nationals and maybe inconveniencing some of these travelers is offensive to an open borders, globalist, let 'em all flood in the gates sort of fellow like you. That's too bad.

As one that has spent countless hours standing barefooted on TSA lines in many a domestic airport, I couldn't give less of a shit about non-citizen travelers inbound from any nation in the world being inconvenienced at our entry points.

BUT the chaotic, unilateral delivery of that perfectly legal EO shows a heavy-handed style of governing that is detrimental to the nation and the citizens. Those foreign travelers were not the only people inconvenienced by the chaos. many people other than the foreigners were negatively impacted. It also clouded over all the positive aspects of the ban.

President Trump should know that selling the people works way better than ramonmg things down their throats. He could have easily gotten ahead of the chaos, but chose instead to ignore it.

I don't like the idea of unilateral edicts and chaos being the norm from this administration.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 03:33:18 pm »
I recall arriving in the US many, many years ago with my family.

We had waited for years to get our visas which allowed us to migrate here. It was an awesome day.

Upon arrival, we were detained for hours while we we were interviewed and vetted yet again before being allowed to legally leave and join our waiting family. There was still a possibility at that point of being denied entry.

That seemed very sensible at the time, a time when no Cubans were committing acts of terrorism against the US on US soil.

Why should that process not be in place for all foreign non-citizens traveling to the US from nations that embrace terrorism against the US?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 03:48:52 pm »
I recall arriving in the US many, many years ago with my family.

We had waited for years to get our visas which allowed us to migrate here. It was an awesome day.

Upon arrival, we were detained for hours while we we were interviewed and vetted yet again before being allowed to legally leave and join our waiting family. There was still a possibility at that point of being denied entry.

That seemed very sensible at the time, a time when no Cubans were committing acts of terrorism against the US on US soil.

Why should that process not be in place for all foreign non-citizens traveling to the US from nations that embrace terrorism against the US?

Agreed.  There was a time when everyone understood there was an orderly process.  Our nation, any nation, has a right to know who is entering and the intended purpose for their arrival or visit. 

I was once detained in Dubai for many hours.  As frustrating as it was, I understood one thing - their rules.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 03:59:29 pm »
Agreed.  There was a time when everyone understood there was an orderly process.  Our nation, any nation, has a right to know who is entering and the intended purpose for their arrival or visit. 

I was once detained in Dubai for many hours.  As frustrating as it was, I understood one thing - their rules.

I learned the hard way in Abu Dhabi airport about the need to have a sponsor pre-approve a day pass visa BEFORE landing in the UAE.  I spent a long 14 hours there, once.  I spent many times in hotel catching a shower and a nap after the learning curve.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 04:08:21 pm »
Yes, Rand! Finally someone telling it like it is. Prior to Trump I was split between Rand and Ted with Rand having a slight advantage. We need more in DC like Rand Paul. But Rand needs to brush up a tad more on (Sunni) Islam, it's not just a religion, it's a dangerous anti-everything-but-Islam doctrine.

What makes Paul's point so admirable is that he's basically saying that he disagrees with aspects of the order, but that the President/United States certainly have the legal right to set whatever conditions we want on immigration, without potential immigrants claiming that their (non-existent) right to immigrate is being infringed.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 04:12:37 pm »
I learned the hard way in Abu Dhabi airport about the need to have a sponsor pre-approve a day pass visa BEFORE landing in the UAE.  I spent a long 14 hours there, once.  I spent many times in hotel catching a shower and a nap after the learning curve.

I had gone through the process to obtain a work visa at the UAE embassy in Washington, DC.  I then flew to Zurich for several days of meetings regarding the assignment.  Before leaving Zurich, I confirmed everything was in order at the UAE consulate there.  My mistake?  I took 5 days to visit Cairo before traveling to Dubai.  Once there, I heard these words which would be repeated over and over while there - "since yesterday, the rule has changed".  They put me in detention for about 8 hours.  About an hour before being released, they told me I would be placed on a flight to Bombay.  Then suddenly, I was released with no explanation.  I journeyed to Al Ain from there.  One of the longest days in my life.  I later came to understand backshish (sp?).

And you know what?  It was just as challenging to leave 6 months later. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline endicom

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 04:14:54 pm »
BUT the chaotic, unilateral delivery of that perfectly legal EO shows a heavy-handed style of governing that is detrimental to the nation and the citizens. Those foreign travelers were not the only people inconvenienced by the chaos. many people other than the foreigners were negatively impacted. It also clouded over all the positive aspects of the ban.

For two whole days? Or was that three? In any case, I don't think it will leave much of a mark.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 04:23:45 pm »
I had gone through the process to obtain a work visa at the UAE embassy in Washington, DC.  I then flew to Zurich for several days of meetings regarding the assignment.  Before leaving Zurich, I confirmed everything was in order at the UAE consulate there.  My mistake?  I took 5 days to visit Cairo before traveling to Dubai.  Once there, I heard these words which would be repeated over and over while there - "since yesterday, the rule has changed".  They put me in detention for about 8 hours.  About an hour before being released, they told me I would be placed on a flight to Bombay.  Then suddenly, I was released with no explanation.  I journeyed to Al Ain from there.  One of the longest days in my life.  I later came to understand backshish (sp?).

I traveled in and out of Abu Dhabi routinely for years with never a problem.  The company I worked for understood the "system" and kept the skids greased.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 04:24:51 pm »

For two whole days? Or was that three? In any case, I don't think it will leave much of a mark.

Following the crap about the 20% tariff, and to be followed by God knows what.

I don't see how transitioning from the chaos candidate to the chaos President is good for the country.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 04:26:12 pm »
We now have a president who can change the rules and the laws at his impetuous whim.
And we have a large portion of the population who thinks that is just A OK.
G-d help this country and the rest of the free world.
While he was communing with Putin the Russians were once again attacking Ukraine.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 04:30:54 pm »
We now have a president who can change the rules and the laws at his impetuous whim.
And we have a large portion of the population who thinks that is just A OK.
G-d help this country and the rest of the free world.
While he was communing with Putin the Russians were once again attacking Ukraine.

He can do no such thing regardless of what anyone may think.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 04:35:01 pm »

Baksheesh

I fortunate in Yemen in the early 1990's, that they had not yet learned just how large a bribe could be.  A $2 bag of hard candy left on top of the clothes in the suitcase was all it took.

Typical entry at international airport:

The one security guy that speaks english takes me out of the security line, while others carry my luggage I'm no longer allowed to touch.  The put them on a table and open each one and leave.  Security guy points to the bag of candy.  "What is this for!"  I reply: "It is for you." 

He picks up the candy, tells me to close all my luggage up and and I'm free to go.

A year later after hundreds had come in and out from Europe and the US for our project, it wasn't quite so easy or cheap.  Baseball caps worked for several months, eventually the wanted US cash.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:36:39 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline endicom

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 05:04:07 pm »
Following the crap about the 20% tariff, and to be followed by God knows what.

I don't see how transitioning from the chaos candidate to the chaos President is good for the country.

Other matters for other threads.

HonestJohn

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 07:07:12 pm »
It doesn't even apply to American citizens outside the USA.

Run afoul of the law in a foreign country and you're pretty much on your own unless the American embassy feels that its important enough to involve themselves in and more often than not, they don't waste their time on it.

I once saw a Canadian cop reminding a mouthy American friend that "Your American constitution doesn't mean squat to me here in Canada".

That said, the parts of the Constitution about voting and citizenship do still apply.  So the Constitution still applies (to some extent).