Author Topic: 54 deer in Ann Arbor now sterilized after week of ovary removals  (Read 979 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
ANN ARBOR, MI - The nonlethal phase of Ann Arbor's winter 2017 deer management plan is now complete.

A total of 54 deer were sterilized by having their ovaries surgically removed by veterinarians stationed inside a makeshift operating room in a maintenance shed at the city-owned Huron Hills Golf Course from Jan. 22-29.

The city-funded and state-permitted plan now shifts into the lethal phase starting Monday afternoon, Jan. 30, as sharpshooters take to city parks and nature areas, as well as a few University of Michigan properties.

City officials unveiled a plan a few months ago to sterilize between 40 and 60 female deer and kill up to another 100 male and female deer this winter, so the city is within its original target range for the nonlethal phase.

The City Council voted 9-2 in November to approve a $153,940 contract with Connecticut-based White Buffalo Inc. to carry out both phases.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2017/01/deer_in_ann_arbor_sterilized.html

Ann Arbor is indeed Berkley east. It is nice that they are willing to kill some of them but its idiotic that they're paying to have it done. Local bow hunters would do it for free.

Wingnut

Re: 54 deer in Ann Arbor now sterilized after week of ovary removals
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:46:28 pm »
This is what happens when you let liberals run your local govenments.
They put $10 worth of thought and energy and angst into a $2 dollar problem.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 02:14:09 pm »
At least they learned from Cayuga Heights (where the liberal Cornell profs live). They tried tubal lugations, so the does kept going intonheat, attracting bucks.  But still, even after they went to removing ovaries, some ovaries grew back!

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/10/cornell-gives-deer-tubal-ligations-everything-goes-wrong/

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 02:19:21 pm »
At least they learned from Cayuga Heights (where the liberal Cornell profs live). They tried tubal lugations, so the does kept going intonheat, attracting bucks.  But still, even after they went to removing ovaries, some ovaries grew back!

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/10/cornell-gives-deer-tubal-ligations-everything-goes-wrong/

Hunters with crossbows would be pretty effective.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 02:20:30 pm »
How silly. We handle our deer overpopulation problems in PA with lead injections.....

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 02:21:19 pm »
We have so many deer on the side of the road as roadkill here. Breaks my heart to see it, and it is horrible to read that sometimes the accidents have fatalities.

So much of the land the deer grazed on has been developed they have no where to go.

I don't know what the solution is, but if they stopped making babies that might stop a lot of the roadkill and the accidents.

Either that or more hunting for venison. I hear it's good. I've never had it, but I hear it's good.

Just don't get me started on all the baby deer staving because there isn't enough to eat. We have that problem too. Yes, I cried during Bambi as a child.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 03:01:33 pm »
Hunters with crossbows would be pretty effective.

They've finally opened it up to (rule-restricted) archery.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn