Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95804 times)

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #950 on: September 29, 2017, 03:15:54 am »
Dang it, I was not yet!

I swear I don't drink.  However, my brains get all twisted due to kittens' paws!!!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #951 on: September 29, 2017, 03:19:18 am »
I swear I don't drink.  However, my brains get all twisted due to kittens' paws!!!

⚾ posters

I have a case of catpawitis.  Yes, that's it!

@Freya

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #952 on: September 29, 2017, 05:17:17 am »
@EasyAce
I use that line all the time.  Now that I know it's Tug's I'll have to be sure to give him proper attribution.
@Cyber Liberty
Was that the line that won you the lovely @Slip18 ? ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #953 on: September 29, 2017, 05:18:30 am »
⚾ posters

I have a case of catpawitis.  Yes, that's it!

@Freya

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #954 on: September 29, 2017, 06:08:49 am »
@Cyber Liberty
Was that the line that won you the lovely @Slip18 ? ;)

No...it was "Hey, wanna get plumb hitched?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #955 on: September 29, 2017, 02:25:45 pm »
No...it was "Hey, wanna get plumb hitched?"
:beer:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #956 on: September 29, 2017, 03:37:47 pm »
:beer:

We knew we were in love from the moment we met, so we went for it right away.  Took a bit of guff from the fams for our "haste," but we've been married for 16 years now, with no signs of troubles.  We knew, so why wait?  Life's short.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #957 on: September 29, 2017, 05:01:19 pm »
We knew we were in love from the moment we met, so we went for it right away.  Took a bit of guff from the fams for our "haste," but we've been married for 16 years now, with no signs of troubles.  We knew, so why wait?  Life's short.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:01:46 pm by EasyAce »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #958 on: September 29, 2017, 05:51:20 pm »

I first laid eyes on my dear wife in mid November1967. We were married on March 2, 1968 and I have been a very happy man ever since!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #959 on: September 29, 2017, 05:54:30 pm »
I first laid eyes on my dear wife in mid November1967. We were married on March 2, 1968 and I have been a very happy man ever since!

That was about the length of our courtship, too.  Didn't see any point in delaying the inevitable or denying the obvious.  We were both in our 40's, so we knew what we were doing.
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #960 on: September 29, 2017, 06:02:07 pm »
My wife moved to Texas with her Parents when she was 14, from the Chicago area.
when we were dating, she told me she liked baseball.
She then recited the 1969 regular line up of the 1969 Chicago Cubs, and how she still held a certain disdain for the amazin" Mets.
At that moment, I knew it was meant to be.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #961 on: September 29, 2017, 07:34:36 pm »
My wife moved to Texas with her Parents when she was 14, from the Chicago area.
when we were dating, she told me she liked baseball.
She then recited the 1969 regular line up of the 1969 Chicago Cubs, and how she still held a certain disdain for the amazin" Mets.
At that moment, I knew it was meant to be.
@GrouchoTex
She should hold her greatest disdain for Leo Durocher, who mismanaged the Cubs into exhaustion for
the key part of the stretch drive in which the Mets could and did overtake them. You can get the full
real story in . . .

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #962 on: September 29, 2017, 08:54:40 pm »
@GrouchoTex
She should hold her greatest disdain for Leo Durocher, who mismanaged the Cubs into exhaustion for
the key part of the stretch drive in which the Mets could and did overtake them. You can get the full
real story in . . .

True, but when you are 10, going on 11 at the time...

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #963 on: September 29, 2017, 11:25:16 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

It sure was a bull's eye!  Never looked back!

Our home is the longest time I have lived in any home in my entire life!  Too much fun!  I have been decorating since I moved in!  LOL!  All but one original tree is gone.  That would be the Mulberry.  Messy, but gorgeous!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #964 on: September 29, 2017, 11:35:08 pm »
Purple birdshit everywhere.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #965 on: September 30, 2017, 12:17:42 pm »
Purple birdshit everywhere.

Lovely color, though.

***blushing***

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #966 on: September 30, 2017, 12:25:10 pm »
True, but when you are 10, going on 11 at the time...

@EasyAce  @Cyber Liberty

I found four older books on baseball history.  Have to brush up on my knowledge.  Love collecting, but I should probably have a lot more knowledge on the actual players and teams.

I have seen so many"deals" on the Cincinnati Reds, but there is one player on the old team that I just can't get myself to win on any bids.  My finger will not hit the "bid" button.

8888crybaby

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #968 on: September 30, 2017, 03:22:56 pm »
Jeter reportedly fires more Marlins execs, including VP who cost current MLB starter - And once again, Jeter did not do the firings himself
This may come as a shock to some people, but more than half the time---in baseball, in business,
you name it---it isn't the team's or the business's owner (unless it's a very, very small sized
business) who does the firings. Derek Jeter himself probably learned that in his early Yankee
years, when George Steinbrenner came back from his second suspension.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #969 on: September 30, 2017, 03:25:55 pm »
This may come as a shock to some people, but more than half the time---in baseball, in business,
you name it---it isn't the team's or the business's owner (unless it's a very, very small sized
business) who does the firings. Derek Jeter himself probably learned that in his early Yankee

I imagine that's doubly so when an owner is as public (and popular) a figure as Jeter.  I'd keep hands well away from that stuff if I were him.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #970 on: September 30, 2017, 06:17:56 pm »
I imagine that's doubly so when an owner is as public (and popular) a figure as Jeter.  I'd keep hands well away from that stuff if I were him.
You're probably right.

I can remember, when Bill Paley was alive and well, it was somewhat rare for him to do
any top-level firing at CBS, usually when he had Frank Stanton as his second in command,
but times were that even Stanton would hand the firing off to a subordinate. Until Paley
enforced the then-rule at CBS of mandatory retirement at 65 against Stanton himself,
I only ever knew Paley to fire a very few directly, including CBS News/Murrow's Boys
legend Howard K. Smith. The highest-profile CBS firings I can remember in the
Paley years otherwise were:

* Lou Cowan---the granddaddy of the quiz shows, the mastermind behind radio's Quiz
Kids
and, for CBS television, The $64,000 Question. Made the fall guy when the
quiz show scandals broke out in 1959, even though it was NBC shows like Twenty-One
and Dotto that caused the biggest headaches. Cowan had nothing to do with
any quiz show rigging (on Question and its companion The $64,000 Challenge,
that was the brainchild of sponsor Revlon's chieftain Charles Revson) but CBS needed
a sacrificial lamb and Cowan---who'd been made head of network television when The
$64,000 Question
hit big in 1956---was the designated lamb in 1960. Officially Cowan
"resigned," and he was never proven to have any involvement in quiz show rigging,
but the firing was eventually exposed in CBS: Reflections in a Bloodshot Eye.
Tragically, Cowan and his wife died in a fire at their Madison Avenue hotel apartment in

* Jim Aubrey---He parlayed his unlikely building of ABC into a late 1950s ratings
comer (it was Aubrey who green-lighted 77 Sunset Strip, which began ABC's
turnaround) into a job replacing Lou Cowan at CBS. Ran it like a banana republic
despot and operated on no credo other than grabbing the biggest audience no matter
with what. ("Broads, bosoms, and fun," a CBS executive called Aubrey's philosophy)
whether he undermined more quality shows in favour of tripe that got bigger
ratings somehow, or whether he undermined particular longtime favourite performers
like Jack Benny or tried strong-arming Lucille Ball. (Somehow, he was unable to
throttle one of the few truly quality shows he had on CBS, The Dick Van Dyke
Show
, though he slaughtered the promising East Side, West Side by insisting
its locale be moved to Park Avenue and away from its inner-city setting.) Aubrey's
salacious private life did him in in 1965 (he was said to have abused a sponsor's
daughter during a large party thrown at Jackie Gleason's Inverrary, Florida digs),
though there were also rumours he was taking kickbacks from television producers,
including his luxury apartment paid for by Filmways and a limousine paid for by actor-
turned-producer Keefe Brasselle . . . from whom Aubrey bought three shows for
1964-65 that bombed. Stanton fired Aubrey on Paley's orders. Aubrey eventually
became the president of MGM and turned the company around somewhat, before
becoming an independent and then a lecturer before his death. Aubrey was even
a behind the scenes, free-lance consultant to Brandon Tartikoff while Tartikoff turned
NBC around in the 1980s. But by the time he died in 1994, Aubrey was all but
forgotten---even though he was the inspiration for the protagonist of Jacqueline
Susann's novel The Love Machine.

* Clive Davis---The president of Columbia Records, who'd kicked the label into the rock
and soul era in earnest starting in 1966-67, when he signed the likes of Janis Joplin,
Laura Nyro, Sly & the Family Stone, and Moby Grape to the label and began its climb
to the top of the contemporary music heap. Davis was canned in 1973 over expense
account padding, particularly accused of using big CBS money to stake his son to a
Bar Mitzvah attended by a phalanx of Columbia artists including Paul Simon, Art
Garfunkel, Carlos Santana, and Al Kooper. The designated executioner: Arthur H.
Taylor, then CBS president (Stanton's successor), who'd get his own head into the
guillotine three years later---with the blade dropped, in a rare enough instance, by
Paley himself. The issue a lot of analysts thought was the real reason Davis was
dumped---suspicions of payola, particularly involving distribution deals Columbia
made with the dying Stax, and a label deal Davis made with Gamble & Huff. (The
Philadelphia International soul label. And Kenny Gamble eventually did get bagged
in a payola case, later on . . .) Not that Davis didn't have extra innings: he eventually
turned Columbia Pictures' Bell Records into the far more successful Arista label.
Today---ironically, considering the company's ownership of the vast Columbia
Records legacy---Davis is the president of Sony Music Entertainment.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:52:37 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #971 on: October 01, 2017, 04:49:35 pm »

@Machiavelli Just you texting the word "Steinbrenner" makes me laugh! What a character, good, bad and ugly.  I think usually just ugly!

I love Derek Jeter!  Bought eight of his cards years ago, one signed.  He was so good for baseball!

I do have a little "dirt" (not sexual) about his wife, but he did marry the right girl, in my humble opinion!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #972 on: October 01, 2017, 05:17:35 pm »
@EasyAce  You are just too brilliant for me!  So I stead of buying lots more ⚾, I have bids out for ⚾ books.  There are about twelve of them.  No one is bidding on them either!  Just weird!

So there will be a day that I come in here and maybe give you some information about baseball that you may not have known.  Not competing here, just feel a bit ignorant.

@Cyber Liberty  @Polly Ticks  @Bigun @GrouchoTex  at who am I missing?

I have a bid out for "The Catch," Willie Mays, signed, COA.  This is through a bidding site that I use.  For some reason in the past two weeks, there has been ⚾ items for every team, but mostly the Reds.

The prices are amazing.  Easy, there is one thing I do know, and that is pricing of baseball objects d'art.  Did I misspelled that?  Oh, well!

How about a signed COA bat from Chipper Jones?  There are so many things.

This place had a "dry spell" for baseball trivia for a long time, so I just bought hats and really cool gloves and napkins.  And now I am overwhelmed! Going to have to dig into my piggy bank!  LOL!

Cyber is getting his favorite dinner tonight!  Think that will help with my ⚾ budget???

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #973 on: October 01, 2017, 05:21:50 pm »
Cubs Indians rematch in the WS; I read one article as saying. Could happen.  It's pretty easy to say Cleveland will probably be there, vs. the D-backs I will say.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #974 on: October 01, 2017, 05:32:55 pm »
Cubs Indians rematch in the WS; I read one article as saying. Could happen.  It's pretty easy to say Cleveland will probably be there, vs. the D-backs I will say.

We're hoping for a Dback trip to the World Series this year.  We have to get past the Rockies first, and sometimes we have poor luck with them.   Fortunately we have Home Field Wednesday.  I'm not very happy we're starting Ray today, don't know what is up with that.
I will NOT comply.