Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95804 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #875 on: September 10, 2017, 10:27:42 am »
This is complete bullshit!

If I didn't know any better, I would think the LA Dodgers are scared to death of playing the winner of the Wildcard Game in the NLDS, and are thus ceding the best record to the NATIONALS.

A complete 'collapse'?    Come on, man!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #876 on: September 10, 2017, 08:59:36 pm »
This is complete bullshit!

If I didn't know any better, I would think the LA Dodgers are scared to death of playing the winner of the Wildcard Game in the NLDS, and are thus ceding the best record to the NATIONALS.

A complete 'collapse'?    Come on, man!

Say what, @DCPatriot?  Why have we lost two games to the Pads?  I am watching these games and watching stats and all of that stuff, and I can't figure this out at all.

Even in the American League, the Astros lost twice yesterday!!!  I am at a loss. :huh?:
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #877 on: September 10, 2017, 10:22:45 pm »
Say what, @DCPatriot?  Why have we lost two games to the Pads?  I am watching these games and watching stats and all of that stuff, and I can't figure this out at all.

Even in the American League, the Astros lost twice yesterday!!!  I am at a loss. :huh?:

The team with the best league record meets the winner of the Wildcard Game.

The CUBS, therefore, will meet the NATIONALS, and the Dodgers will play the Diamondbacks....a team they want NO PART OF!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #878 on: September 10, 2017, 11:51:07 pm »
The CUBS, therefore, will meet the NATIONALS, and the Dodgers will play the Diamondbacks....a team they want NO PART OF!
Not necessarily. The Nationals just clinched the NL East and are only four and a half behind the
Dodgers for the league's best record. If the Dodgers continue to fade and the Nationals stay
primed, it could be the Nats against the Snakes in a division series on the assumption the
Snakes win a wild card game.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #879 on: September 10, 2017, 11:57:50 pm »
Not necessarily. The Nationals just clinched the NL East and are only four and a half behind the
Dodgers for the league's best record. If the Dodgers continue to fade and the Nationals stay
primed, it could be the Nats against the Snakes in a division series on the assumption the
Snakes win a wild card game.

The Snakes will win the wildcard spot.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #880 on: September 11, 2017, 12:07:22 am »
The Snakes will win the wildcard spot.
Always remember Berra's Law: It ain't over until it's over. And, Andujar's Law: In baseball,
there's just one word---you never know
. Right now I wouldn't bet against the Diamondbacks,
but even in five days who knows what might happen?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #881 on: September 11, 2017, 12:37:13 am »
Always remember Berra's Law: It ain't over until it's over. And, Andujar's Law: In baseball,
there's just one word---you never know
. Right now I wouldn't bet against the Diamondbacks,
but even in five days who knows what might happen?

@Slip18 has a baseball on the way, signed by Yogi:  "It ain't over until it's over."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #882 on: September 11, 2017, 12:50:47 am »
@Slip18 has a baseball on the way, signed by Yogi:  "It ain't over until it's over."

Awesome!

Congratulations, @Slip18 , on another nice piece for your collection!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #883 on: September 11, 2017, 12:57:07 am »
Awesome!

It's supposed to be here Tuesday.  I will get a picture and post it, it's bound to be cool.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #884 on: September 11, 2017, 01:24:58 am »
@Slip18
@Cyber Liberty
@Polly Ticks
A favourite Yogi story: when he got to meet President Obama, he also got to sign a photograph of Jackie
Robinson stealing home on him on a hugely close play in the '55 World Series---so close that Robinson may
actually have been out---and Berra had a phenomenal you-know-what-fit over it with the umpire.
Yogi signed the photo: "Dear Mr. President---He was out! Sincerely, Yogi Berra."

Once, Berra had to be on the road while his wedding anniversary transpired, and he sent his wife,
Carmen, an anniversary card which he signed, "Love, Yogi Berra."

"I was actually kind of glad he thought to sign his last name," Mrs. Berra cracked, "because I
wouldn't have wanted to confuse him with all the other Yogis I know."

I wrote sadly enough about both halves of that remarkable couple when each passed away; when
Carmen Berra died first, I knew Yogi wasn't long for our world:

Carmen Berra, RIP: "I figured he had a future"
Yogi Berra, RIP: It's gotten late early out here

Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe may have been the Yankee glamour couple, but Yogi and Carmen
were the greatest Yankee love story.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:26:50 am by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #885 on: September 11, 2017, 02:10:17 am »
This just in you all:

Cincinnati manager Bryan Price ran out to argue with two umpires after
Scooter Gennett was ejected for slamming his helmet after being called
out on strikes to end the top of the seventh against the Mets. Price
paused the argument when Citi Field sang "God Bless America." When
the song ended, Price resumed the argument! Priceless! (The Reds
had tied the game at five in the seventh and would go on to win, 10-5.)

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #886 on: September 11, 2017, 04:26:51 am »
This just in you all:

@EasyAce
Now that is the best thing I have heard in sports today!  Stopping an argument when "God Bless America" is being sung

I still stand up at home, put my right hand to my heart and sing with gusto to that song.  My cats come running!  I may be way off tune! :cheerlead:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #887 on: September 11, 2017, 04:36:04 am »
Awesome!

@Polly Ticks  @Cyber Liberty

Ummmm, three signed balls by Yogi and a signed mitt.

I agree.  Yogi and Carmen were THE couple of the Yankees.

Marilyn was misguided.  But her beauty...  Any man (In these days, any woman) would have fallen in love with that beauty.  Unfortunately,  Marilyn had gastrointestinal problems.  Not many people know that.  It was embarrassing for her.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #888 on: September 11, 2017, 04:59:49 am »

By Jove, I think you are correct.  I never figured the Dodgers' fear of the D-Backs into the equation.  If everything stays the same with everyone else, and the Dodgers lose four games, D-Backs will play the Nationals!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #889 on: September 11, 2017, 11:11:46 am »
By Jove, I think you are correct.  I never figured the Dodgers' fear of the D-Backs into the equation.  If everything stays the same with everyone else, and the Dodgers lose four games, D-Backs will play the Nationals!

The 'FIX' is in!     

Dirty rotten SOBs......     :shrug:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-20663817
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:25:26 am by DCPatriot »

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #890 on: September 11, 2017, 01:27:36 pm »
This just in you all:

That's quite a contrast with the latest stories from the NFL about the various idiots who refuse to stand for the national anthem, isn't it.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #891 on: September 11, 2017, 02:36:20 pm »
Eight facts about the Dodgers’ astonishing 10-game losing streak

Eric Stephen
SB Nation
September 10, 2017

The team with the best record in baseball owns the longest MLB losing streak of 2017.

The Los Angeles Dodgers lost another game on Sunday, falling 8-1 to the Colorado Rockies at Dodger Stadium, continuing a perplexing free fall for the National League West leaders.

The Dodgers have now lost 10 straight games, the longest streak in MLB in 2017. Here are some relevant facts and records about the club’s recent, elongated skid.

More

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #892 on: September 11, 2017, 09:08:10 pm »
Good news!  @Slip18 got another one of her baseballs today, and it's a good one!  Autographed by 13 HOF Pitchers, including Sandy Koufax, Catfish Hunter and Don Drysdale.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #893 on: September 11, 2017, 09:09:07 pm »
Good news!  @Slip18 got another one of her baseballs today, and it's a good one!  Autographed by 13 HOF Pitchers, including Sandy Koufax, Catfish Hunter and Don Drysdale.

Awesome!   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #894 on: September 12, 2017, 02:04:52 am »
Awesome!   888high58888

@Cyber Liberty  @Bigun  @Polly Ticks @EasyAce   @DCPatriot   @Machiavelli  Hope I am not forgetting anyone! 

I have always loved "collecting" things.  Knowing something has touched someone's ✋ has a special meaning for me.  It is not for everyone.  Some people need something new.  I prefer older things.  Not makeup or toothbrush, mind you, but things that you can feel.

That is why it is so difficult for me to see an American flag destroyed.  I am just that way.

I do have some very old books, too.  I believe my oldest is a Civil War book published in 1898 or earlier.  The statues that have been destroyed or will be destroyed breaks my 💓.

Just me.  Cyber puts up with my A.B. Normal personality! :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:07:30 am by Slip18 »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #895 on: September 12, 2017, 02:44:50 am »
I have always loved "collecting" things.  Knowing something has touched someone's ✋ has a special meaning for me.  It is not for everyone.  Some people need something new.  I prefer older things.  Not makeup or toothbrush, mind you, but things that you can feel.
@Slip18
With you, it's memorabilia and old books; with me, it's some old books, a few antiques (particularly a couple of antique appliances),
music, and old-time radio shows and books about that broadcast era, plus some memorabilia. Among others, I have two memoirs
and a collection of letters by Fred Allen; a photograph of Goodman and Jane Ace (Easy Aces) preparing for their live broadcast
(at the bridge table into which Ace cleverly built a CBS broadcast microphone, the better to facilitate themselves and their small
cast just talking in normal conversation), framed on a wall behind the music equipment portion of my home office; a framed
newspaper ad promoting the syndication of Easy Aces; all three of Goodman Ace's collections of essays from his later years
writing humour and criticism for the old Saturday Review; a collection of essays by the old New York Herald-Tribune
radio critic John Crosby; Flywheel, Shyster, and Flywheel, a collection of the complete scripts for the Marx Brothers' short-
lived radio show of the same name; and, Curt Smith's Voices of the Game, a splendid study of the great baseball announcers.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #896 on: September 12, 2017, 03:16:06 am »
@Slip18
With you, it's memorabilia and old books; with me, it's some old books, a few antiques (particularly a couple of antique appliances),
music, and old-time radio shows and books about that broadcast era, plus some memorabilia. Among others, I have two memoirs
and a collection of letters by Fred Allen; a photograph of Goodman and Jane Ace (Easy Aces) preparing for their live broadcast
(at the bridge table into which Ace cleverly built a CBS broadcast microphone, the better to facilitate themselves and their small
cast just talking in normal conversation), framed on a wall behind the music equipment portion of my home office; a framed
newspaper ad promoting the syndication of Easy Aces; all three of Goodman Ace's collections of essays from his later years
writing humour and criticism for the old Saturday Review; a collection of essays by the old New York Herald-Tribune
radio critic John Crosby; Flywheel, Shyster, and Flywheel, a collection of the complete scripts for the Marx Brothers' short-
lived radio show of the same name; and, Curt Smith's Voices of the Game, a splendid study of the great baseball announcers.

All I can say is "WOW!"  I totally understand  just the feelings it gives you being surrounded by your treasures, and treasures they are. You can touch them.  You can feel them.  And you can hear them!

I am so happy for you, EasyAce.  And now we know how you got your screen name!  Is your real name "Tarzan"?   Just joking, of course.  My  screen name came from some books.  Slip F-18 was where the Busted Flush was moored in Ft. Lauderdale.  It was still there 18 years ago, but after Irma, who knows?

It is really a pleasure hearing from you in such a personal way!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:24:12 am by Slip18 »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #897 on: September 12, 2017, 03:50:42 am »
All I can say is "WOW!"  I totally understand  just the feelings it gives you being surrounded by your treasures, and treasures they are. You can touch them.  You can feel them.  And you can hear them!
@Slip18

And, in the case of this completely-restored antique treasure, I can touch, feel, hear, and taste what it
produces for me regularly (I'm also something of a self-taught gourmet cook) . . .

I am so happy for you, EasyAce.  And now we know how you got your screen name!
OK, who's the squealer? ;)

Is your real name "Tarzan"?
I could tell you. But then I'd have to kill you. ;)

My  screen name came from some books.  Slip F-18 was where the Busted Flush was moored in Ft. Lauderdale.  It was still there 18 years ago, but after Irma, who knows?

My Friend Irma

Offline EasyAce

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:11:25 am by EasyAce »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #899 on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:54 pm »
MLB to start 2018 season in March with full slate of games

ESPN
September 12, 2017

Major League Baseball unveiled its 2018 schedule, with a full slate of games scheduled to take place on Opening Day on March 29 -- the earliest starting date in the sport's history, excluding international openers.

It will be the first time since the 1968 season -- the last year before the American and National Leagues split into divisions -- that every team will play on Opening Day.
More