Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95801 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #750 on: August 31, 2017, 12:47:05 pm »
@EasyAce @DCPatriot And here I thought I was just being a wise-guy and a bit of an A-hole... :tongue2:

:laugh:

@Cyber Liberty    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #751 on: August 31, 2017, 01:05:46 pm »
@EasyAce @DCPatriot And here I thought I was just being a wise-guy and a bit of an A-hole... :tongue2:

I honestly doubt that you know how to be either.  I'll be happy to give you lessons if you like.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #752 on: August 31, 2017, 01:13:40 pm »
I honestly doubt that you know how to be either.  I'll be happy to give you lessons if you like.

HAH!!      You're not qualified, either, @Bigun      ^-^ 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #753 on: August 31, 2017, 01:19:55 pm »
HAH!!      You're not qualified, either, @Bigun      ^-^

@DCPatriot

That's what you think!   ****slapping
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:20:48 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #754 on: August 31, 2017, 01:24:21 pm »
I hope I do this correctly!

Thank you, Polly Ticks @Polly Ticks for your warm welcome.

I have been a baseball fan since I can remember.  So there are a few of us out there.

One of my fondest memories of my mom was when she was holding my six-year old brother on her lap watching  (or listening) to Vin Scully!  What a voice! He retired last year, and Cyber and I listened to his commentary on the D-Backs vs. Dodgers game.

My mom knew every stat of every player on every team.  She was that good!  In fact, later in life, she was the oldest working lifeguard in the United States!  I actually put waterproof makeup on her that day when she was being filmed. 

And to EasyAce @EasyAce thank you for the kind words about Cyber and myself.  We are still so in love after 16 years of marriage.  I honestly don't know what I would do without him!  I am so proud of him!

Trust me on this, "The Ball,"  as we now call it is going nowhere but here until my nephew inherits it, along with the rest of the sports memorabilia.  I have been collecting certain things for ages.

Another "favorite" piece I have is a Life Magazine dated March 5, 1971.  On the front is Joe Frazier and Mohammed Ali.  I was in that magazine (my name was not properly mentioned on the front cover) as a Snow Bunny in my Aspen year of skiing.

I wish I could show all of my newly found friends all of the cool stuff we have, but, alas, I do not know how to post images.  How about the back cover of Baseball Magazine with Lou Gehrig and Greenberg that has a tag "Army" on it?  WWII vintage.

At the ending of a Little Leàgue season for two of my nephews, I purchased 40 raffle tickets for some prizes at the end of their awards ceremony.  I gave each of them ten tickets, and I kept 20.  I won the first prize which was a Mark McGwire "shrine." There are so many things in the shrine.  Then there's Sammy Sosa, etc al., of that year that brought the crowd back to baseball.

DcPatriot @DCPatriot , I have been watching Judge's stats.  Just as Mark Grace has said so many times, that August fade can hit so hard for a young player.  They put so much gusto into the game in the early part of the season, then they just get a bit worn out in August.  We shall see!

I do think Puig of the Dodgers is injured from last night's game, but Puig will not admit it.  They are getting pretty low on that outfield bench right now.  We have a chance to sweep the mighty Dodgers!  Just wheeee!  It is on today early for the getaway game to Colorado.

And, lastly, Cyber @Cyber Liberty, thank you for turning me on to The Briefing Room!  You knew I would like it!😘

I hope I have not missed anyone who has been so nice to me.

Just thank all of you!  I have a very busy day today.  See you tomorrow!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #755 on: August 31, 2017, 01:30:00 pm »
@Slip18

You are doing just fine and we are very happy that you decided to join us here! 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #756 on: August 31, 2017, 04:57:32 pm »
I hope I do this correctly!

Thank you, Polly Ticks @Polly Ticks for your warm welcome.
@Slip18

@Polly Ticks is one of our most intelligent members and a nice lady in the bargain. She's also extremely tolerant,
the proof of which is she has kind words for my baseball essays. ;)

I have been a baseball fan since I can remember.  So there are a few of us out there.

One of my fondest memories of my mom was when she was holding my six-year old brother on her lap watching  (or listening) to Vin Scully!  What a voice! He retired last year, and Cyber and I listened to his commentary on the D-Backs vs. Dodgers game.

One of mine is this: In 2000, when I lived in southern California, I took then-seven year old son to
Dodger Stadium for the first time. (He was an Angels fan but he also had a huge thing for then-
Dodger Shawn Green.) When we got to the park, I was struck first by two things:

a) Everything I'd ever heard about Dodger Stadium itself was true---that ballpark is a masterpiece.
(I always loved the story I heard about Walter O'Malley handing his architect the blueprints he'd
acquired of Candlestick Park, the Giants' old ballpark, and telling the man, "Study these and
learn what not to do.")

b) Wherever you were in the park, there were a boatload of fans carrying small portable
television sets---with the picture turned off and the sound turned on, so they could listen to Vin
Scully calling the game. It struck me: Scully had so much credibility that even in the
stadium
the fans wouldn't believe what they saw on the field until or unless they heard
it from Scully!

My mom knew every stat of every player on every team.  She was that good!  In fact, later in life, she was the oldest working lifeguard in the United States!  I actually put waterproof makeup on her that day when she was being filmed. 
Your mother must have been a remarkable lady. The only thing my mother knew about baseball
was she could barely tolerate it (and she was the daughter of die-hard New York Giants fans
until they left New York, after which they---like their eldest grandson ;)---became Met fans
from the day they were born, not to mention being the wife of a guy who became a Brooklyn
Dodgers fan and never stopped rooting for the Dodgers even after they went to Los Angeles)
and, when she did go to a game now and then, she hated The Wave even more.

And to EasyAce @EasyAce thank you for the kind words about Cyber and myself.  We are still so in love after 16 years of marriage.  I honestly don't know what I would do without him!  I am so proud of him!
@Cyber Liberty -- You owe your wife a fancy dinner and an exclusive hotel for that!

Trust me on this, "The Ball,"  as we now call it is going nowhere but here until my nephew inherits it, along with the rest of the sports memorabilia.  I have been collecting certain things for ages.
Smart lady!

Another "favorite" piece I have is a Life Magazine dated March 5, 1971.  On the front is Joe Frazier and Mohammed Ali.  I was in that magazine (my name was not properly mentioned on the front cover) as a Snow Bunny in my Aspen year of skiing.
I remember that issue! It's a pleasure to meet one of the Snow Bunnies.

I recently read a remarkable book about Ali, Blood Brothers, about his close relationship with Malcolm
X until Malcolm defected from the original Nation of Islam---including the revelation of the real reason Ali
denounced Malcolm after winning the first Liston fight and why Ali stayed in the Nation of Islam for another
decade---he feared for his own life after knowing what happened to Malcolm barely a year after Malcolm's
defection.

I wish I could show all of my newly found friends all of the cool stuff we have, but, alas, I do not know how to post images.  How about the back cover of Baseball Magazine with Lou Gehrig and Greenberg that has a tag "Army" on it?  WWII vintage.
If you find a place to host photographs of that stuff, you can post it here by copying the image link and then
putting it between  when you write a message here.

At the ending of a Little Leàgue season for two of my nephews, I purchased 40 raffle tickets for some prizes at the end of their awards ceremony.  I gave each of them ten tickets, and I kept 20.  I won the first prize which was a Mark McGwire "shrine." There are so many things in the shrine.  Then there's Sammy Sosa, etc al., of that year that brought the crowd back to baseball.
At a later Dodger Stadium game my son got to see Sosa blast two homers, both of which landed in
between the bleacher sections at the rearmost spot.

DcPatriot @DCPatriot , I have been watching Judge's stats.  Just as Mark Grace has said so many times, that August fade can hit so hard for a young player.  They put so much gusto into the game in the early part of the season, then they just get a bit worn out in August.  We shall see!
Some players fade in August, some manage to stay consistent, some actually do better in August (and
September) than earlier in the season. Since the Sandy Koufax ball kicked this whole thing off in the
first place, I can tell you that Koufax lifetime was a better pitcher in August and September than he
was in April or May, and that June he had his highest monthly lifetime ERA but the lowest
batting average against him (.193). The batting average against him down the stretch, in August
and September/October, was .208. About the once-notorious Koufax home-road splits, usually
hooked on Dodger Stadium, you should know that lifetime---consider, too, that Koufax pre-
Dodger Stadium worked in home parks that were either neutral for lefthanded pitchers (Ebbets
Field) or brutal for them (the ridiculous field shoehorned into the Los Angeles Coliseum, with the
supershort left field line and the "Chinese Screen" high left field wall)---the batting average
against him was .198 at home and .212 on the road.

I do think Puig of the Dodgers is injured from last night's game, but Puig will not admit it.  They are getting pretty low on that outfield bench right now.  We have a chance to sweep the mighty Dodgers!  Just wheeee!  It is on today early for the getaway game to Colorado.
You'd need a shotgun to get Puig to admit he's hurting. Come to think of it, the last thing
a player likes is to admit he's in pain. Fools. ;)

And, lastly, Cyber @Cyber Liberty, thank you for turning me on to The Briefing Room!  You knew I would like it!😘
Once in awhile we men know something, after all . . . ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #757 on: August 31, 2017, 05:18:23 pm »
Now the truth can be told.  You all know I married up!   ^-^
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #758 on: September 01, 2017, 12:52:35 am »
Now the truth can be told.  You all know I married up!   ^-^

And that spring training shows. Steady hitter. An occasional foul ball. An occasional line drive out.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #759 on: September 01, 2017, 01:02:30 am »
Cyber, @Cyber Liberty you just helped me with resetting up my Lenovo which has not been used in about three years!  The Baby Kindle just kept throwing my texts into outer space, then the aliens gobbled them up for lunch.  Thank you!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #760 on: September 01, 2017, 01:08:13 am »
Cyber, @Cyber Liberty you just helped me with resetting up my Lenovo which has not been used in about three years!  The Baby Kindle just kept throwing my texts into outer space, then the aliens gobbled them up for lunch.  Thank you!
Somebody tod me he was fairly handy!  Can't quite recollect who.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #761 on: September 01, 2017, 01:25:59 am »
@Bigun I am getting a little better, but I keep losing things I have posted.  I have bunches of stories to tell today aside from us beating the Dodgers!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #762 on: September 01, 2017, 01:29:34 am »
@DCPatriot I talked to a new friend about our little discussion on Judge's performance.  This person is a friend of Judge.  Judge said he is fine and raring to go!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #763 on: September 01, 2017, 01:35:52 am »
@Polly Ticks Yes, I am a baseball fan and collector of baseball and Ali memorabilia.  It is so nice to meet you, too!  I have a few stories to tell from today, but I have to keep paragraphs short because I am on a computer that I have not used in years!  The Baby Kindle just wasn't cutting it.  I lost way too many posts today because of it.  Cyber @Cyber Liberty figured it out!

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #764 on: September 01, 2017, 01:41:48 am »
@EasyAce I am going to try text my story about today a paragraph or two at a time!

Let me try this @DCPatriot  I talked to a new friend of mine who knows and works with Judge.  The Judge is just dandy!  He foresees no problems at all the rest of the season.  Good news, eh?

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #765 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:50 am »
Am I missing anyone?  I do not know how @Bigun can actually post and cut and paste at the same time.  Now that is beyond me.  I am going to start at the beginning.  I know it is late for all of you, but it is not late for me.  I will start at the beginning:

Yesterday I got a phone call from my go-to guy at MLB.  He wanted to make sure I received my new ball and did I like it, et cetera.  So I called him back today in Florida after he had called again.

I somehow got a flat tire yesterday, so that was keeping me off a phone.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #766 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:49 am »
@Bigun I am getting a little better, but I keep losing things I have posted.  I have bunches of stories to tell today aside from us beating the Dodgers!
@Slip18

One tack here a stich there and pretty soon you have a brand new pair of shoes!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #767 on: September 01, 2017, 03:30:41 am »
@DCPatriot I talked to a new friend about our little discussion on Judge's performance.  This person is a friend of Judge.  Judge said he is fine and raring to go!

IOW, he's human after all?    :laugh:

I think of Bryce Harper's season-long slump, where it was impossible for him to hit the breaking ball over the out-half.

Thought..."here we go again!"     But, he's worked it out.    (Hope he comes back in time for the post-season)

Ever since this 71 year-old played Little League in Buffalo, NY...I had a penchant to root for the underdog.   And the Yank-Me's are solely responsible.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #768 on: September 01, 2017, 07:24:53 am »
@Slip18

One tack here a stich there and pretty soon you have a brand new pair of shoes!

Alright!!!!

Verlander coming to Houston. 

Giving up Daz Cameon, Franklin Perez, and Jake Rogers.  Tigers reported are kicking in $8M annually of JV's salary.

Maybe this will wake up this team.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #769 on: September 01, 2017, 02:00:30 pm »
@Slip18

@Polly Ticks is one of our most intelligent members and a nice lady in the bargain. She's also extremely tolerant, the proof of which is she has kind words for my baseball essays. ;)

Awww, thanks for that, @EasyAce  -- You're tops in my books, too!

(And keep those baseball essays coming.  I love those.)
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #770 on: September 01, 2017, 02:10:06 pm »
@Polly Ticks Yes, I am a baseball fan and collector of baseball and Ali memorabilia.  It is so nice to meet you, too!  I have a few stories to tell from today, but I have to keep paragraphs short because I am on a computer that I have not used in years!  The Baby Kindle just wasn't cutting it.  I lost way too many posts today because of it.  Cyber @Cyber Liberty figured it out!

@Slip18
It looks to me like you're doing just fine.  ^-^

I don't have much in the way of memorabilia, myself, probably mostly because I have quite a bit in the way of children and they have a way of needing things like clothes, shoes, food, sports program fees/equipment, etc.  I do love watching the games, though.  I rarely  miss a Braves game, and if they've got an off day I'll pretty much watch any other game that happens to be on. 

I'm glad @Cyber Liberty got you all hooked up.  We'll look forward to seeing more of you, and more of those stories, in the days to come!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #771 on: September 01, 2017, 02:18:34 pm »
I think of Bryce Harper's season-long slump, where it was impossible for him to hit the breaking ball over the out-half.

Thought..."here we go again!"     But, he's worked it out.    (Hope he comes back in time for the post-season)

He did work it out, didn't he.  The really good ones do that.  My boy Freddie Freeman finally has gotten out of constantly hitting into the shift this year, and it's paying off for him.

I hope Bryce is able to make it back for the post-season, too.  The article in the Washington Post a couple of days ago didn't sound very promising, but you never know.  Nobody expected Sean Rodriguez to be back this year, either. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #772 on: September 01, 2017, 02:22:32 pm »
Alright!!!!

Giving up Daz Cameon, Franklin Perez, and Jake Rogers.  Tigers reported are kicking in $8M annually of JV's salary.

We'll see.  Verlander isn't that great IMHO but he can probably probably be of some help.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #773 on: September 01, 2017, 09:41:49 pm »
Alright!!!!

He's put up good numbers in his last 11 starts.
This is going to be fun to watch.
I have tickets for Sunday. For a while there, it looked like that was going to be played in Tampa, as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:39:00 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #774 on: September 02, 2017, 11:09:04 am »
DAMN!   I am so JINXING myself here, but has anybody been watching the Baltimore Orioles' run at the Wildcard in the AL?

Last night, a 1-0 Walk-off.....in the 13th inning vs. Toronto.