Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95301 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2017, 02:51:18 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkcLwRBLbUY

THe clip wasn't saved, but the best hotfoot of all time---Roger McDowell, Mets relief pitcher. The victim:
Bill Robinson, Mets first base coach. McDowell loaded Robinson's heel with his almost patented slow
cigarette-burn-into-matchbook rig and lit the cigarette. The hotfoot didn't erupt until Robinson took
his place back on the first base coaching line. Even the Reds in the other dugout were cracking up.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2017, 03:25:53 am »
@Cripplecreek
Some classic baseball practical jokes:

* Warren Spahn and Lew Burdette were inveterate pranksters. One of their longest running gags
was hiring limousines to bring certain opposing players to the games . . . players whom either
Spahn or Burdette owned. (Joe Garagiola was said to be a frequent recipient of such largesse.)

* Mickey Mantle once told rookies Joe Pepitone and Phil Linz they'd arrived, it was time to go
out with the big boys, so just take a cab to the Flame in Detroit and ask for Whitey Ford's table.
Pepitone and Linz dressed to the nines, hailed a cab for the Flame . . . and learned the hard
way the once-venerable rhythm and blues restaurant was long since closed and broken down
in one of the city's worst slums.

* Bo Belinsky once talked a lady friend of his into calling fellow Angels pitcher Dean Chance,
with whom Chance had once had an affair, and telling him she was pregnant and he, Chance,
was the father. Chance panicked. When he saw Belinsky in the hotel lobby and told him
"something terrible's happened," Belinsky deadpanned, "Calm down, Dean, you're acting like
an expectant father." Chance chased Belinsky around the hotel furiously until he couldn't
help laughing.

* Juan Marichal's favourite prank was to hand teammates elaborately carved glass bottles
of perfume to give their wives or girlfriends. The hapless players and their ladies would learn
the hard way the perfume bottles were actually loaded with stink bombs.

* When Joe Torre was with the Mets toward the end of his playing career, he was looking
for a way to get teammate Dave Kingman, mired in a slump, to lighten up. He noticed
Kingman shared his thing for cigar smoking and had an idea. When Kingman went up
to bat, Torre snuck into the clubhouse, spotted a cigar in Kingman's locker, and inserted
a small explosive load into it. After the game, Kingman lit up and kaboom! Kingman
had a hearty laugh and managed to find out the identity of the culprit without Torre
knowing. The next day, Torre lit up a cigar in the clubhouse before a game and kaboom!
The two spent the rest of the season in a kind of contest to see who could put the louder
loads in whose cigars first.

* Seattle Pilots pitcher Fred Talbot once received genuine legal papers naming him in a
paternity suit. He learned the hard way it was a prank hatched by his roommate, reserve
catcher Merritt Ranew.

* Oriole relief pitchers Eddie Watt and Pete Richert spiked the Pilots bullpen's water cooler . . .
with live goldfish. (Watt and Richert were also supposed to have started a tradition in the
Oriole pen for awhile---taking a tip from Whitey Ford's old habit of laying a checkered
tablecloth, a wine bottle with a candle, and Italian bread and cold cuts on the Yankee
bullpen, Watt and Richert started having wienie roasts in the Oriole pen.)

* Jim Bouton walked into the Pilots clubhouse one day and discovered his game spikes
were nailed to the floor. The culprit: fellow relief pitcher Gene Brabender.

* Bob Feller was said to have a small handheld device that could produce spider webs. Feller
would use it only when visiting homes where he knew the lady of the house was particularly
Felix Unger-like about cleanliness and neatness.

* Righthanded Lew Burdette once posed for his baseball card as a lefthanded pitcher.

* Jay Johnstone once locked the door to Tommy Lasorda's office . . . with Lasorda inside,
and also took the clubhouse phones off the hook so nobody could hear Lasorda calling
for help to get his office unlocked.

* Johnstone also once replaced the portraits of celebrities Lasorda rubbed elbows with with
goofy pictures of assorted Dodger teammates.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2017, 04:05:51 am »
@Cripplecreek
Some classic baseball practical jokes:

* Jim Bouton walked into the Pilots clubhouse one day and discovered his game spikes
were nailed to the floor. The culprit: fellow relief pitcher Gene Brabender.

Surprised Bouton's citation didn't include Doug Rader from my late '60's and early '70's Astros.  I understand his stunts were more disgusting, sick, and gross, than traditional pranks........so that may be a different category.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2017, 04:34:17 am »
Surprised Bouton's citation didn't include Doug Rader from my late '60's and early '70's Astros.  I understand his stunts were more disgusting, sick, and gross, than traditional pranks........so that may be a different category.

Rader wasn't on the Pilots; Bouton didn't become his teammate until a midseason trade sending Bouton to the 'Stros.
Joe Pepitone mentioned one of Rader's more rank pranks in his own memoir Joe, You Coulda Made Us Proud,
though. I won't repeat it here. There may be ladies present.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:34:53 am by EasyAce »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2017, 04:58:24 am »
Rader wasn't on the Pilots; Bouton didn't become his teammate until a midseason trade sending Bouton to the 'Stros.
Joe Pepitone mentioned one of Rader's more rank pranks in his own memoir Joe, You Coulda Made Us Proud,
though. I won't repeat it here. There may be ladies present.

Pretty sure some of "Ball Four" contained some discussion of his (Bouton)time with the Astros and Rader.  I'll check.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2017, 05:21:08 am »
Pretty sure some of "Ball Four" contained some discussion of his (Bouton)time with the Astros and Rader.  I'll check.

Bouton wrote about both the Pilots and the Astros in Ball Four. (He was traded to the Astros in late August,
straight up for a nondescript ex-Yankee teammate named Dooley Womack---prompting his famous crack,
"Dooley Womack? The Dooley Womack?"

The first time he mentions Doug Rader is in a sequence on Old-Timer's Day when the team is needling manager
Harry Walker. "Son of a bitch," Rader is quoted as saying. "Every time we have an Old Timer's game Harry
gets a hit up the middle and breaks up the double play."

The next mention is a number of pages later, when Bouton quotes Rader as telling outfielder Nate Colbert, "Hey,
Nate, I think you're cute. Not ugly, cute. Cute like an iguana."

Then, on page 368 (in the original hardcover edition, which I have), there's this:

Doug Rader, the third baseman, may be a good-looking cat, but I'm afraid he might be too tight
for a pennant race like this. Right after he hit a soft popup that sent the second baseman back on the
grass, he came into the dugout and said to me, "How far did that last one go?"

"All the way out to second base," I said.

"It's all in the wrists," he said.

On page 372, Bouton refers to some attitudes between white and black players and notes Rader
mentioned he was often called "n@gger-lover" because he was friendly with Leon McFadden,
a black teammate. After mentioning McFadden's observation that some white players could be
friendly to his face but drop the N-word when they're sure no black players are around, Bouton
notes Rader said it happened around him all the time even though they knew he was one
white player who didn't like that word, and all he could do was get up and walk away.

On the next page, he references a breakfast he had with Rader in which they agreed they
liked Walker as a manager, especially Walker's ability to apologise to a player when he handled
something wrong.

Then this, on page 388:

In the dark of the airplane, Doug Rader was saying that he feels he's living out
of time and out of place. He thinks he would have been much happier as a Tahitian
war lord or even a pirate. And Norm Miller said, "I think I would have made a good pirate.
I wonder if there have ever been any good Jewish pirates?"

And that was pretty much it for Doug Rader.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2017, 07:50:55 pm »
Pirates OF Starling Marte gets 80-game ban after positive PED test

Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Starling Marte has been suspended 80 games by Major League Baseball after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance, it was announced Tuesday.

Marte tested positive for nandrolone, which violated MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension is effective immediately, and Marte is eligible to return in mid-July.

"I have been informed that I have tested positive in one of the tests that are regularly done in my job," Marte said in a statement released by the Major League Baseball Players Association. "In this very difficult moment, I apologize to my family, the Pittsburgh Pirates, my teammates, my fans, and baseball in general.

"Neglect and lack of knowledge have led me to this mistake with the high price to pay of being away from the field that I enjoy and love so much. With much embarrassment and helplessness, I ask for forgiveness for unintentionally disrespecting so many people who have trusted in my work and have supported me so much. I promise to learn the lesson that this ordeal has left me. God bless you."

more at:   http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19186772/pittsburgh-pirates-starling-marte-suspended-80-games

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2017, 07:58:29 pm »
Neglect and lack of knowledge have led me to this mistake

Any word on how he neglectfully and unknowingly ingested a banned substance?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2017, 08:56:36 pm »
Any word on how he neglectfully and unknowingly ingested a banned substance?

"I was a poor kid who was virtually raised on the street.  If I had a daddy to teach me......"

Meh.....Let ONE of the leagues encourage PED usage. 

Then the World Series will be a David vs Goliath spectacle.

And beisbol is the only professional sport where an average built man can be an All-Star and a Hall of Famer.

It would be interesting to see what players would 'run' to the PED League.      :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2017, 09:17:03 pm »

Offline Cripplecreek

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2017, 11:20:19 pm »
Well there's a happy birthday HR for Miggy at 430 feet.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2017, 12:18:49 pm »
It's early, but Bryce Harper is showing how you win MVP

Mark Simon

NEW YORK -- You don’t win MVP awards in April, but you can sure put some distance between yourself and the rest of the field with the kinds of performances Washington Nationals right fielder Bryce Harper has turned in over the past few days.

The latest came at Citi Field on Friday, in the first of what should be an enthralling best-of-19 with their top division rivals, the injury-depleted New York Mets. Harper homered in the first inning to start things off, then finished them in the 11th inning by hitting an opposite-field double, taking third (barely) on a wild pitch and scoring the winning run on Trea Turner’s walk in the Nationals' 4-3 decision.

Bryce Harper drove in two of the Nats' four runs on Friday with his fifth homer in five games, then scored the winner in the 11th inning. Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports

snip....

Yet when you ask Harper about how comfortable his swing is right now, he seems guarded, almost as if he doesn’t want to jinx it. He doesn’t break from a straight face, giving a simple, “I feel good.”

So do the Nationals, who have a nice jump-start on a Mets team that figures to be their top rivals in the East.

“That was championship-level baseball,” Baker said.

And the Nationals have a championship-level player leading the way.

more at:   http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-nationals/post/_/id/2380/its-early-but-bryce-harper-is-showing-how-you-win-mvp
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:19:22 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2017, 12:21:33 pm »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2017, 07:18:41 pm »

Not many liked to talk about it, but there was one simple reason for Harper's drop-off last season: he was playing
hurt, with shoulder and neck issues. He looked healthy right out of the chute this year. Now if only he can stay
that way . . .

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2017, 08:00:51 pm »
Not many liked to talk about it, but there was one simple reason for Harper's drop-off last season: he was playing
hurt, with shoulder and neck issues. He looked healthy right out of the chute this year. Now if only he can stay
that way . . .

That HAD to be it...the 'injury'.

But, that didn't explain his off-the-table drop in ALL his numbers after the series last year in which they intentionally walked Harper every AB.

After that, he cheated on his swing, opened his hips and was a dead sucker for any breaking ball on his out-half.   

Now...instead of taking those pitches to left field...as he's doing this year...he kept going for section 241.  Upper deck.  Big Fail.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2017, 09:20:27 pm »
That HAD to be it...the 'injury'.

But, that didn't explain his off-the-table drop in ALL his numbers after the series last year in which they intentionally walked Harper every AB.

On the surface, no. But if you deal with a neck issue as well as a shoulder issue, you're trying to find some kind of
comfortable swing. He seems to have incurred the issues not long after that series; the right shoulder took it first
and it affected the base of his neck, but the upshot was that he struggled pulling the bottom hand (his right) through
his swing, affecting his power. The apparent cause of the injury issue, from what I was able to find in assorted
searches, was a hard head first slide early in the season.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2017, 10:45:30 pm »
JaCoby Jones got hit in the mouth by a 90 MPH fastball thrown by Justin Haley today in Minneapolis (3rd inning). It looked pretty bad but it sounds like he won't lose the teeth.

Then in the 5th inning Tiger pitcher Matt Boyd hit Miguel Sano in the hip leading to Sano charging the mound, benches clearing and Boyd and Sano being ejected.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:45:46 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2017, 10:51:10 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2017, 12:04:58 am »
Getting ready for NATS vs METS tonight on ESPN Sunday Nite Game of the Week.

Announcer Dan Schulman says out of the box, "The METS are a mass shooting right now!"....in describing the injuries to the lineup.

...very poor choice of words, IMHO.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2017, 08:53:10 pm »
Getting ready for NATS vs METS tonight on ESPN Sunday Nite Game of the Week.

Announcer Dan Schulman says out of the box, "The METS are a mass shooting right now!"....in describing the injuries to the lineup.

...very poor choice of words, IMHO.
\
Hey, DCP...we Zonies want your guys to look sharp the next few games.  We really need Colorado to pick up some "L"s.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2017, 11:06:24 pm »
MLB's pathetic punishment for throwing at a player's head needs to change

Suspensions in baseball are based on precedent, and precedent, in the case of Red Sox pitcher Matt Barnes throwing a 90-mph fastball inches behind the head of Orioles star Manny Machado on Sunday, says he will face anywhere from a three- to six-game ban. [Four games, as it turns out.] This is ridiculous, and Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have good reason to work together, make an example of Barnes and end the farcical tradition that places the entire sport in peril every time a pitcher is foolish enough to engage in it.
[...]

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlbs-pathetic-punishment-throwing-players-head-needs-change-055215684.html
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2017, 11:25:02 pm »
MLB's pathetic punishment for throwing at a player's head needs to change

Suspensions in baseball are based on precedent, and precedent, in the case of Red Sox pitcher Matt Barnes throwing a 90-mph fastball inches behind the head of Orioles star Manny Machado on Sunday, says he will face anywhere from a three- to six-game ban. [Four games, as it turns out.] This is ridiculous, and Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association have good reason to work together, make an example of Barnes and end the farcical tradition that places the entire sport in peril every time a pitcher is foolish enough to engage in it.
[...]

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlbs-pathetic-punishment-throwing-players-head-needs-change-055215684.html

Meanwhile the Twins pitcher who hit Tigers batter Jacoby Jones in the mouth with a fastball wasn't ejected. Then Detroit pitcher Matt Boyd hit Miguel Sano in the ass causing Sano to throw a punch at McCann leading to and Boyd and Sano being ejected.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19220819

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:26:41 pm by Cripplecreek »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2017, 11:29:53 pm »
Meanwhile the Twins pitcher who hit Tigers batter Jacoby Jones in the mouth with a fastball wasn't ejected. Then Detroit pitcher Matt Boyd hit Miguel Sano in the ass causing Sano to throw a punch at McCann leading to and Boyd and Sano being ejected.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19220819

I went to a fight and a baseball game broke out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: