Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95565 times)

Offline Axeslinger

Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #500 on: July 01, 2017, 02:48:47 am »
A soccer fan joins the discussion. :smokin:  lol
@Wingnut  @catfish1957

Most definitely NOT a soccer fan!!!!  Soccer:  proof that the rest of the world really IS that F'd up!

Nope, I'm more of a lacrosse and hockey fan (and coach and official)...especially lacrosse.  But I do like watching my son play football too!
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #501 on: July 01, 2017, 02:51:21 am »
@Wingnut  @catfish1957

Most definitely NOT a soccer fan!!!!  Soccer:  proof that the rest of the world really IS that F'd up!

Nope, I'm more of a lacrosse and hockey fan (and coach and official)...especially lacrosse.  But I do like watching my son play football too!

Wish rugby would become more of a conventional sport.  Now those are some badasses.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Wingnut

« Reply #502 on: July 01, 2017, 02:54:38 am »
@Wingnut  @catfish1957

888high58888

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #503 on: July 01, 2017, 03:05:18 am »
@Wingnut @catfish1957
Ok didn't mean to hijack yalls baseball thread.  You fellas have fun..and try to stay awake watching it!

:whistle: :tongue2:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:05:46 am by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #504 on: July 05, 2017, 01:57:56 pm »
@Wingnut @catfish1957
Ok didn't mean to hijack yalls baseball thread.  You fellas have fun..and try to stay awake watching it!

:whistle: :tongue2:
@Axeslinger

Italy, Germany, Spain winning the World Cup? One doesn't like the European countries defeating those from the rest of the World and in clearly, the most popular sport in the world? Alrighty, I don't have to use expletives to make a point.  Or talk about soccer in a baseball thread.

:tongue2:

And we can always watch the NFL I guess.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:59:33 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #505 on: July 05, 2017, 01:59:59 pm »
Moooooooooose

Just heard some people are saying this out there.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #506 on: July 06, 2017, 06:33:17 pm »
MLB umpire Angel Hernandez sues for racial discrimination

MLB umpire Angel Hernandez has filed a lawsuit against the league and commissioner Rob Manfred alleging the league discriminates against minority umpires, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Hernandez’s suit claims that MLB is biased against minority umps when it comes to high-profile positions. There has only been one minority crew chief in league history and only one minority umpire has worked the World Series since 2011. Every one of the 23 umpires promoted to crew chief since 2000 has been white.

“The selection of these less qualified, white individuals over Hernandez was motivated by racial, national origin and/or ethnic considerations,” the suit reads, according to the Enquirer.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/07/03/umpire-angel-hernandez-racial-discrimination-lawsuit

I think his lack of promotion is more likely tied to the fact that he is a pitiful excuse for an umpire.  "Positive reviews".  Pffft.  Let's ask the players what they think about that.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #507 on: July 06, 2017, 07:18:44 pm »
I think his lack of promotion is more likely tied to the fact that he is a pitiful excuse for an umpire.  "Positive reviews".  Pffft.  Let's ask the players what they think about that.
I looked up his actual rating. He's not an incompetent umpire (there are plenty worse!), but in the immortal
words of old-time New York mayor Fiorello H. La Guardia, when Hernandez makes a mistake it's a beaut. He's
not one of the best umpires in baseball but he's not exactly the absolute bottom of the barrel. (Country Joe
West makes him look like Antonin Scalia, if you think of umpires as baseball's equivalent of judges.)

Hernandez's flaw is that he's confrontational. He's one of those men who can't bear to hear he might be
wrong and he flaunts the confrontations when they happen.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #508 on: July 06, 2017, 07:35:08 pm »
I looked up his actual rating. He's not an incompetent umpire (there are plenty worse!), but in the immortal
words of old-time New York mayor Fiorello H. La Guardia, when Hernandez makes a mistake it's a beaut. He's
not one of the best umpires in baseball but he's not exactly the absolute bottom of the barrel. (Country Joe
West makes him look like Antonin Scalia, if you think of umpires as baseball's equivalent of judges.)

Hernandez's flaw is that he's confrontational. He's one of those men who can't bear to hear he might be
wrong and he flaunts the confrontations when they happen.

He's not Joe West -- or CB Bucknor -- but yeah, he has his issues.

As far as the worst umpire ever, my vote would have to go to Sam Holbrook and his HORRIBLE INFIELD FLY RULE call!!  (Still not over it ... obviously.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #509 on: July 06, 2017, 07:56:18 pm »
Can Buckner be far behind?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #510 on: July 06, 2017, 08:05:39 pm »
Can Buckner be far behind?

Hate to be non-PC but in Buckner's Bucknor's case I don't know if discrimination laws apply to the mentally impaired.

Slightly corrected so no one confuse an idiot umpire with any first basemen with croquet wicket legs.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:40:07 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #511 on: July 06, 2017, 08:34:26 pm »
Hate to be non-PC but in Buckner's case I don't know if discrimination laws apply to the mentally impaired.

:shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #512 on: July 06, 2017, 08:35:13 pm »
Hate to be non-PC but in Buckner's case I don't know if discrimination laws apply to the mentally impaired.
Different specifics, I think. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #513 on: July 06, 2017, 08:46:36 pm »
And the Astros are 58/27 with four games to go before the All Star break!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #514 on: July 06, 2017, 09:29:49 pm »
And the Astros are 58/27 with four games to go before the All Star break!

Any recipes for grilled Blue Jay?

Offline corbe

« Reply #515 on: July 07, 2017, 02:13:23 am »
   Oilers/Texans/Rockets/Stros if your a professional sports franchise in the Houston Market, Choking is in your Contract. It might be Texas wide - Spurs/Mavericks/Rangers and those sucky Cowboys.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #516 on: July 07, 2017, 03:13:10 am »
   Oilers/Texans/Rockets/Stros if your a professional sports franchise in the Houston Market, Choking is in your Contract. It might be Texas wide - Spurs/Mavericks/Rangers and those sucky Cowboys.

Huh?  And just who are your teams for pray tell.........

Offline corbe

« Reply #517 on: July 07, 2017, 04:07:00 am »
   Still suffering from that Rocket laydown by Harden a month ago. But if I had to pick right now it'd be the one with the Best cheerleaders.

He Looks so happy here:

You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming, didn't mean to jack this.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #519 on: July 07, 2017, 04:38:15 pm »
This ridiculous MLB play proves you should always keep your eye on the ball

If you are baseball long enough you will see everything eventually.  Never seen that one before.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #520 on: July 07, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »
   Still suffering from that Rocket laydown by Harden a month ago. But if I had to pick right now it'd be the one with the Best cheerleaders.

He Looks so happy here:

You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming, didn't mean to jack this.

Great socks!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #521 on: July 07, 2017, 06:20:22 pm »
Any recipes for grilled Blue Jay?

Don't the Astros have 5 guys (going into last night) that were hitting .300?

Phenomenal.

Last 2 years they lead in home runs and strike outs.
This year, they are more patient, going deeper in counts, and getting to the opposing teams bullpen.
That, and the fact that this team, as far as position players go, is the deepest I've seen.
We may have had better pitching staffs in the past, but our everyday line up pretty darn deep.

I think those 2 things have put them where they are now.

McCullers didn't look like his normal self last night.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #522 on: July 07, 2017, 08:13:42 pm »
Non-rain delay at Braves-Nationals game leaves fans upset, players confused

A so-called rain delay despite no precipitation falling from the sky for nearly two hours at Nationals Park Thursday left Braves and Nats fans upset to why the game didn't start on time at 7:05 p.m. ET. Even when it did start raining, it was a slight drizzle that still would have been playable.

<snip>

Nationals fans, who saw Wednesday's game against the Mets postponed because of rain, voiced their displeasure along with other baseball fans for the Nationals decision to wait until 10:10 p.m. ET to start the game.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/non-rain-delay-braves-nationals-game-fans-upset-players-confused/1qnftl0ux9vfg1xl0z45dgcjy4

Pretty pathetic.
 **nononono*

Offline corbe

« Reply #523 on: July 07, 2017, 09:06:21 pm »
   I'm glad my Hometown Astros are doing phenomenal in MLB right now, but if I remember correctly the last couple of years they had a shot at the title and chocked, like the Rockets this Year and the Texans (and Cowboys) last year.  I gave up after the 1994–95 Strike.  I got to see Scott and Ryan pitch in the Astrodome and that's something I will never forget.

Obviously, I'm one of those 'Bandwagon' Fans.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #524 on: July 07, 2017, 09:37:35 pm »
   I'm glad my Hometown Astros are doing phenomenal in MLB right now, but if I remember correctly the last couple of years they had a shot at the title and chocked, like the Rockets this Year and the Texans (and Cowboys) last year.  I gave up after the 1994–95 Strike.  I got to see Scott and Ryan pitch in the Astrodome and that's something I will never forget.

Obviously, I'm one of those 'Bandwagon' Fans.

Been a diehard Astros fan for 52 years, and I understand trepidation on expectations.  In 1998 we led the Majors in wins and ran into a buzz saw (Kevin Brown) in the NLDS.  Was sick.  You are right, the expectations are high, and as far as a collective batting lineup, no other team in Astros history has been this formidable.  Add a 1-2 punch of Kuechel and McCullers, and we have to be one of the favorites. 

Biggest concerns now are that we do need to add a bad ass #3 starter, (hopefully through trade), as 3 starters are all you really need in the playoffs.
We also need to see some more consistency from the pen.  Earlier in the year they were pretty rock solid but in the. last months we have had way too many blown saves for a championship caliber team.

Also even though our road record is bizarrely great, I do really value home field during the playoffs.  If you look at the standings, the Dodgers are only a 1/2 game back.  I really prefer any game 5 (ALDS) or 7 (ALCS and WS) to be at home.