Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95300 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2017, 01:39:27 am »
Yadier Molina, Cardinals find themselves in a sticky situation
Mark Saxon

ST. LOUIS -- A catcher’s chest protector typically is made of hard plastic over layers of foam. A baseball’s cover is cowhide. At last check, those two materials don’t have a magnetic attraction to one another.

So one would think the St. Louis Cardinals would have had some idea, more than an hour later, why Brett Cecil's 82 mph breaking ball bounced in the dirt and magically stuck to Yadier Molina's torso, allowing Chicago Cubs pinch hitter Matt Szczur to reach first base on a wild pitch to lead off the seventh inning Thursday afternoon at Busch Stadium. The moment -- in retrospect -- swung the game, a 6-4 Cubs victory, in Chicago's favor, primarily because Kyle Schwarber crushed a home run off Cecil two batters later, so it was certainly fresh on everyone’s minds.

And yet the Cardinals said repeatedly, in effect, “I know nothing!” -- summoning images of the great Sergeant Schultz from "Hogan's Heroes" and perhaps unnecessarily raising suspicions around baseball about their methods.

The Cubs could have pressed the matter and made their rivals squirm a bit, at the very least, but they seemed to shrug off the bizarre moment. They never asked umpire Quinn Wolcott to check the ball or pat down Cecil or Molina. Jason Heyward, who played with Molina as recently as 2015, and Schwarber said they assumed he stashed some sticky material somewhere on his gear to help him get a grip for his throws.

more at:

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-cardinals/post/_/id/3023/yadier-molina-cardinals-find-themselves-in-a-sticky-situation
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2017, 02:56:41 am »
Yadier Molina, Cardinals find themselves in a sticky situation
Mark Saxon

ST. LOUIS -- A catcher’s chest protector typically is made of hard plastic over layers of foam. A baseball’s cover is cowhide. At last check, those two materials don’t have a magnetic attraction to one another.

So one would think the St. Louis Cardinals would have had some idea, more than an hour later, why Brett Cecil's 82 mph breaking ball bounced in the dirt and magically stuck to Yadier Molina's torso, allowing Chicago Cubs pinch hitter Matt Szczur to reach first base on a wild pitch to lead off the seventh inning Thursday afternoon at Busch Stadium. The moment -- in retrospect -- swung the game, a 6-4 Cubs victory, in Chicago's favor, primarily because Kyle Schwarber crushed a home run off Cecil two batters later, so it was certainly fresh on everyone’s minds.

And yet the Cardinals said repeatedly, in effect, “I know nothing!” -- summoning images of the great Sergeant Schultz from "Hogan's Heroes" and perhaps unnecessarily raising suspicions around baseball about their methods.

The Cubs could have pressed the matter and made their rivals squirm a bit, at the very least, but they seemed to shrug off the bizarre moment. They never asked umpire Quinn Wolcott to check the ball or pat down Cecil or Molina. Jason Heyward, who played with Molina as recently as 2015, and Schwarber said they assumed he stashed some sticky material somewhere on his gear to help him get a grip for his throws.

more at:

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-cardinals/post/_/id/3023/yadier-molina-cardinals-find-themselves-in-a-sticky-situation

@DCPatriot
They know nussing---nussing!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:57:14 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2017, 11:56:09 am »
@DCPatriot
They know nussing---nussing!

The Cardinals are visiting my Nationals for a 3 game series.   It would be so cool to see Dusty Baker have the ump check out Molina's equipment for any pine tar, etc..

How hard is it for any catcher to 'doctor' the ball after a setup pitch?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2017, 05:30:22 pm »
The Cardinals are visiting my Nationals for a 3 game series.   It would be so cool to see Dusty Baker have the ump check out Molina's equipment for any pine tar, etc..

How hard is it for any catcher to 'doctor' the ball after a setup pitch?

Well, if you hit the link I showed you'd have read about Elston Howard scraping a ball against his
shin guard buckles before throwing back to Whitey Ford, when it was late in Ford's career and the
Hall of Famer was looking for any edge he could get before his elbow finally put paid to his career.
Or about Ray Fosse's pocket-edge Vaseline-like goo ring on days he caught Gaylord Perry.

According to Jim Bouton (Ball Four), Howard had another trick he'd use for Ford: if grounds-
keepers wetted down the dirt around the plate a little excessively, Howard could find a particular
spot into which to dip a ball before returning it to Ford. Thus Ford's mud ball. The little patch
would stick on the ball long enough that Angels pitcher/flake Bo Belinsky once said, "If Whitey
left the ball on the mound and the mud patch was still on it, I had two quick outs waiting for
me."

I referred to a little patch of white on Yadier Molina's chest protector at the spot where that ball
got stuck. It wouldn't be difficult for a catcher to apply something to his protector and give
a quick surreptitious rub on the stuff before throwing back to his pitcher, assuming his pitcher
were inclined that way.

Most of the time, though, the pitchers come up with their own little tricks. Whitey Ford once
got away with what you might call a ring ball---his wedding ring had a tiny rasp in it and Ford
would use that to cut a ball. At least, he did until an umpire caught him and, not willing to
toss Ford from the game, simply told him during an inning change, "Whitey, you ought to head
back to the clubhouse first, I think your jock strap needs an adjustment. And when you come
back you better not have that ring."

Preacher Roe, once a Brooklyn Dodgers legend, was so well aware of pitchers trying tricks
and subterfuge that he gambled the umpires would never think to look at the most obvious
move---he'd spit right into his glove after chewing up some choice Beech-Nut gum. Roe
eventually admitted to what he was doing after he retired, collaborating with New York
Daily News
legend Dick Young on a Sport article, "The Outlaw Pitch Was My Money
Pitch." When he came to the Dodgers in a deal with the Pirates, he sought out catcher Roy
Campanella and asked if he could handle the wet one. No problem, Campy replied: "I caught
'em for years in the coloured leagues."

Then there was the day Tommy John, at the time a Yankee, squared off against Don Sutton,
then with the Angels. George Steinbrenner harassed manager Lou Piniella about Sutton by
phone from Tampa, until Piniella finally told him, "George, if I have the umpires search
Sutton then they'll search T.J. and everybody loses. Whatever they're doing, T.J.'s doing it
better, so let's leave it at that." The Yankees went on to win, and a scout in the press box
cracked, "Tommy John against Don Sutton? If anyone can find one smooth ball from that
game he ought to send it to Cooperstown."

Then there was the day Gaylord Perry ran into the plate umpire who'd had him frisked
on the mound the night before, when the two men were in town before the coming night's
game. They chatted amiable until the ump mentioned his son's Little League team getting
clobbered several nights running or some such thing. The ump's son was one of the
pitchers. "Gaylord," the ump asked sincerely, "could you teach my kid to throw that thing?"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2017, 11:28:00 pm »
MLB must rewrite foreign-substance rule
Buster Olney

The folks in uniform, as well as the reporters, could be rescued from this ridiculous dance if Major League Baseball and the players' association would quickly rewrite the foreign-substance rule. The needed changes would relieve the players of the inevitable and silly accusations of cheating, something that Molina is wading through right now, by providing a cover of legitimacy to a common practice. And this possibility has been discussed by baseball officials who recognize the inconsistency.

The truth is that in every single game -- every single game -- you can see pitchers break baseball’s existing rule against the use of foreign substances. A lot of pitchers -- dozens and dozens and dozens, across both leagues -- shave the forearms of their gloved hands and cover that spot with glistening sunscreen or some mix of pine tar. When the pitchers receive a new baseball, or receive a return throw from the catcher, they will quickly wrap their pitching hand around that forearm, to cover their hand in sunscreen to help with their grip.

more at:   http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/16464/olney-mlb-must-rewrite-foreign-substance-rule

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2017, 01:13:41 am »
MLB must rewrite foreign-substance rule
Buster Olney

The folks in uniform, as well as the reporters, could be rescued from this ridiculous dance if Major League Baseball and the players' association would quickly rewrite the foreign-substance rule. The needed changes would relieve the players of the inevitable and silly accusations of cheating, something that Molina is wading through right now, by providing a cover of legitimacy to a common practice. And this possibility has been discussed by baseball officials who recognize the inconsistency.

The truth is that in every single game -- every single game -- you can see pitchers break baseball’s existing rule against the use of foreign substances. A lot of pitchers -- dozens and dozens and dozens, across both leagues -- shave the forearms of their gloved hands and cover that spot with glistening sunscreen or some mix of pine tar. When the pitchers receive a new baseball, or receive a return throw from the catcher, they will quickly wrap their pitching hand around that forearm, to cover their hand in sunscreen to help with their grip.

more at:   http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/16464/olney-mlb-must-rewrite-foreign-substance-rule

I think that would be a sound idea, to rewrite the rule, particularly regarding pine tar, which hitters
and pitchers use to get better grips on their pitches or their bats. You'd probably be very hard
pressed to find a hitter who doesn't end up with some extra stuff on his hands when he rubs up
his bat. Or, a pitcher with a good volume of it on his hand when he's gone to the rag a few times
to dry his hand off.

Now, I wonder: what about a pitcher who sweats a la Phil Regan and lets the sweat run onto the
ball? I still can't fathom how something from your own body could be called a foreign substance.
;)

One thing you don't want to do is what Whitey Ford once did. Ford once kept a kind of roll-on
kind of pine tar in a bottle similar to a roll-on deodorant, to help his grip on cooler days. It
provided a painfully hilarious moment in the clubhouse once when Mickey Mantle, who'd gotten
tired of Yogi Berra mooching personal products when he ran out until he could replace them
with his own stuff, left Ford's roll-on stickum on the edge of a locker shelf. Sure enough, Yogi
fell for it, thinking it was deodorant. Two moments later he was screaming in the trainer's room.
He had to have his arms shaved free from his sides.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2017, 12:49:19 am »

Bryce Harper scoring walk off run from 1st base on ANOTHER Daniel Murphy game-winning hit....and a league-leading 10 game hitting streak!

This game was against the Phillies.

Harper was clocked at a maximum 19.5 mph and scored from 1st base in 10.8 seconds.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:50:20 am by DCPatriot »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2017, 12:53:19 am »
Cabrerra still getting it done.

Home run yesterday, home run today.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2017, 02:16:54 am »
Cabrerra still getting it done.

Home run yesterday, home run today.

Hmmmm..... hitting a buck sixty-seven with a 3-something SLG?      22222frying pan

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2017, 02:23:27 am »
Hmmmm..... hitting a buck sixty-seven with a 3-something SLG?      22222frying pan

Home Run last night, 3 run homer tonight. That's 4 runs in 2 games.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2017, 11:36:37 am »
What Inciarte accomplished in the Atlanta Braves' 1st game in their brand new stadium was ANYTHING but trivial....but here's some trivia for you....

1) Caught the 1st out ever obtained in the new park....a can of corn to CF

2) Got the 1st base hit....recorded the 1st run, on a Nick Markakis double off the base of the RF wall

3) Got the 1st HR.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2017, 03:29:54 pm »
What Inciarte accomplished in the Atlanta Braves' 1st game in their brand new stadium was ANYTHING but trivial....but here's some trivia for you....

1) Caught the 1st out ever obtained in the new park....a can of corn to CF

2) Got the 1st base hit....recorded the 1st run, on a Nick Markakis double off the base of the RF wall

3) Got the 1st HR.

Beat me to it.   :laugh:

Ender had a heck of a night.

(He caught the 3rd out in the 9th inning, too, just to cap it all off.)

There was plenty of pomp and circumstance to christen the new facility.  Hammerin' Hank threw out the first pitch to Bobby Cox, which was pretty cool.

And for the record, my boy Freddie Freeman recorded the first XBH, right before Markakis doubled home those first RBIs.

The new ballpark is beautiful -- love the brick.  Can't wait to visit in person in a couple of weeks!

Go Braves!

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2017, 07:47:22 pm »

Go Braves!

It hurt me to see Hank Aaron holding on to a walker and throwing underhanded to the plate.

I remember watching him run like a deer out in the field.

Read that the stadium complex cost well over a BILLION dollars.      Must be beautiful.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:47:49 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2017, 08:06:45 pm »
It hurt me to see Hank Aaron holding on to a walker and throwing underhanded to the plate.

If only the ballplayers we watched growing up could stay something close enough to those old selves. Sandy
Koufax is a notable exception. He looks his 81 years but he's still in terrific physical shape--in fact, he's said
to be about thirty pounds below his playing weight. And it looks as though he's re-married; his biographer
Jane Leavy wrote in her book about him in 2003 that he "has a loving relationship with a woman his own
age with whom he shares his life."

He retired as a Dodger advisor last year but he still goes to spring training and mentors pitchers
for a week or so.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:07:49 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2017, 12:15:36 am »
If only the ballplayers we watched growing up could stay something close enough to those old selves. Sandy
Koufax is a notable exception. He looks his 81 years but he's still in terrific physical shape--in fact, he's said
to be about thirty pounds below his playing weight. And it looks as though he's re-married; his biographer
Jane Leavy wrote in her book about him in 2003 that he "has a loving relationship with a woman his own
age with whom he shares his life."

He retired as a Dodger advisor last year but he still goes to spring training and mentors pitchers
for a week or so.

Al Kaline started playing for the Tigers in 1953 and still works for the Tigers today.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2017, 12:22:10 am »
Astros now 8 and 4 after todays big comeback win.  Don't know if they have what it takes for the long haul but they are doing great right now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2017, 12:46:58 am »
Al Kaline started playing for the Tigers in 1953 and still works for the Tigers today.

Did you know: Al Kaline, Sandy Koufax, and Catfish Hunter are the only so-called "bonus babies" (players
signed for bonuses above a certain level between 1947 and 1965) who a) never played in the minors and b) became Hall of
Famers. (Harmon Killebrew was also a bonus baby, but he did go to the minors when his two-year bonus period
expired.)

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2017, 12:55:49 am »
Did you know: Al Kaline, Sandy Koufax, and Catfish Hunter are the only so-called "bonus babies" (players
signed for bonuses above a certain level between 1947 and 1965) who a) never played in the minors and b) became Hall of
Famers. (Harmon Killebrew was also a bonus baby, but he did go to the minors when his two-year bonus period
expired.)

Kaline got a $35,000 signing bonus.

(From Wiki)

In 1955, at age 20, Kaline ended the season with a .340 batting average, becoming the youngest player ever to win the American League batting title. No 20-year-old major league player had won a batting title since Ty Cobb in 1907. During the 1955 season, Kaline became the 13th man in major league history to hit two home runs in the same inning, became the youngest to hit three home runs in one game, and finished the year with 200 hits, 27 home runs and 102 RBIs. He also finished second to Yogi Berra in the American League's 1955 Most Valuable Player Award voting. He was selected to the Major League Baseball All-Star Game, the first in a string of consecutive All-Star selections that lasted through 1967.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2017, 01:05:01 am »
Kaline got a $35,000 signing bonus.

Yes. Sandy Koufax got $14,000; Harmon Killebrew got $20,000; and, Catfish Hunter got, I think,
a $50,000 bonus, but the bonus rule was modified by the time he signed and he only had to spend
a single season on the major league club before they could send him to the minors if they wanted
to do so, which they never did. The bonus rule under which Kaline, Killebrew, and Koufax signed
was that if their bonuses were higher than $4,000, they had to be kep on the parent club for
two full seasons. Koufax's time extended to his third season because he missed time on the DL
in his second.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2017, 01:09:10 am »
Yes. Sandy Koufax got $14,000; Harmon Killebrew got $20,000; and, Catfish Hunter got, I think,
a $50,000 bonus, but the bonus rule was modified by the time he signed and he only had to spend
a single season on the major league club before they could send him to the minors if they wanted
to do so, which they never did. The bonus rule under which Kaline, Killebrew, and Koufax signed
was that if their bonuses were higher than $4,000, they had to be kep on the parent club for
two full seasons. Koufax's time extended to his third season because he missed time on the DL
in his second.

I can't imagine what it must have been like for an 18 year old kid to get $35,000 in 1953. I'll bet he felt like an instant millionaire.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2017, 01:21:54 am »
I can't imagine what it must have been like for an 18 year old kid to get $35,000 in 1953. I'll bet he felt like an instant millionaire.

Generally, he might have until the season began and he experienced a lot of disdain from the team's veterans.
A lot of the bonus babies of that time were given that treatment. The rule generally hurt more than helped
both the players and their teams. The teams couldn't afford to keep these sprouts on their rosters; the
players missed on much-needed experience they weren't going to get on the parent club, for the most
part.

Case in point: Joey Jay, pitcher. The Braves made him a bonus baby, and though he eventually did spend
some time in the minors Jay had a tough time proving himself, not to mention cracking a rotation that
already included Warren Spahn, Lew Burdette, and Bob Buhl up top. He had his moments, particularly
in one World Series, but by the end of 1960 the Braves sent him to the Reds. In Cincinnati Jay was
put into the rotation and his acquisition probably meant the pennant for the Reds in 1961. He had two
big peak years and then hit his downslope, but you can't help wondering whether he might not have
had a longer peak if the Braves had known just what to do with him.

(Jay was also once famous for another reason: he was the first Little Leaguer to grow up to play major
league baseball . . . and he once wrote an article for Boys' Life, the magazine of the Boy Scouts,
urging parents to think twice and then thrice before letting their kids play Little League. Jay had
experienced difficulty in Little League because he was tall for his age and organisers gave him and
his family a hard time when he signed up to play.)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2017, 01:36:16 am »
Astros now 8 and 4 after todays big comeback win.  Don't know if they have what it takes for the long haul but they are doing great right now.

Happy with results right now too,  Of course a good bit of this is against the M's and A's.  Real test will be later this month when we play the Rays and Indians.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2017, 01:57:28 am »
Generally, he might have until the season began and he experienced a lot of disdain from the team's veterans.
A lot of the bonus babies of that time were given that treatment. The rule generally hurt more than helped
both the players and their teams. The teams couldn't afford to keep these sprouts on their rosters; the
players missed on much-needed experience they weren't going to get on the parent club, for the most
part.

Case in point: Joey Jay, pitcher. The Braves made him a bonus baby, and though he eventually did spend
some time in the minors Jay had a tough time proving himself, not to mention cracking a rotation that
already included Warren Spahn, Lew Burdette, and Bob Buhl up top. He had his moments, particularly
in one World Series, but by the end of 1960 the Braves sent him to the Reds. In Cincinnati Jay was
put into the rotation and his acquisition probably meant the pennant for the Reds in 1961. He had two
big peak years and then hit his downslope, but you can't help wondering whether he might not have
had a longer peak if the Braves had known just what to do with him.

(Jay was also once famous for another reason: he was the first Little Leaguer to grow up to play major
league baseball . . . and he once wrote an article for Boys' Life, the magazine of the Boy Scouts,
urging parents to think twice and then thrice before letting their kids play Little League. Jay had
experienced difficulty in Little League because he was tall for his age and organisers gave him and
his family a hard time when he signed up to play.)

I'm actually glad that the MLB dropped the bonus baby thing despite the fact that Kaline and some others handled it well. Its why I think the MLB isn't plagued with prison bound man child athletes the way the NFL and NBA are.

Player development in baseball takes years now and that's a good thing. A problem player is removed from the pool before his name is ever known among the general public. In contrast you have kids like Jayru Campbell who was given a scholarship to MSU to play football. The scholarship was revoked after he returned to highschool after doing time for beating his girlfriend and upon returning to school bodyslammed a security guard.

Ball clubs do sign kids out of high school but it's a tentative thing that doesn't bring the instant fame. The Tigers signed Justin Verlander's brother and Torii Hunter Jr right out of high school with the requirement that they go to college and finish. Last I knew Hunter was playing football and Ben Verlander is still with the Tigers in the minors playing outfield.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2017, 01:58:12 am »
Happy with results right now too,  Of course a good bit of this is against the M's and A's.  Real test will be later this month when we play the Rays and Indians.

Tigers beat the Indians yesterday but lost today.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2017, 02:29:42 am »
I'm actually glad that the MLB dropped the bonus baby thing despite the fact that Kaline and some others handled it well. Its why I think the MLB isn't plagued with prison bound man child athletes the way the NFL and NBA are.

Player development in baseball takes years now and that's a good thing. A problem player is removed from the pool before his name is ever known among the general public. In contrast you have kids like Jayru Campbell who was given a scholarship to MSU to play football. The scholarship was revoked after he returned to highschool after doing time for beating his girlfriend and upon returning to school bodyslammed a security guard.

Ball clubs do sign kids out of high school but it's a tentative thing that doesn't bring the instant fame. The Tigers signed Justin Verlander's brother and Torii Hunter Jr right out of high school with the requirement that they go to college and finish. Last I knew Hunter was playing football and Ben Verlander is still with the Tigers in the minors playing outfield.

A bonus baby you probably forgot or didn't know was a bonus baby:

Moe Drabowsky---shown pitching in Game One, 1966 World Series, when he struck out eleven Dodgers
in relief including six consecutive---and they were all swinging strikeouts. Almost as famous for being one
of baseball's most relentless practical jokers, including but not limited to:

* Mimicking the voice of then-Athletics manager Alvin Dark so accurately that he once called the A's
bullpen and ordered a relief pitcher to start throwing . . . while starter Jim Nash was working on a
no-hitter. (Needless to say, Nash came unglued at the sight of bullpen action. The pitcher Drabowsky
as Dark ordered to start throwing: Lew Krausse, normally a starter.)

* Running a line of firecrackers from the visiting bullpen to the teepee of Braves mascot Chief
Noc-A-Homa and lighting them off in a string. (Said Moe: "I was waiting for the Chief to surrender.")

* Ordering Chinese takeout . . . from a restaurant in Taiwan, on the bullpen telephone.

* Doing a dead-on impression of A's owner Charlie Finley and calling fellow contract holdouts
ostensibly to give them the business---but he also found out what they were making, when
they'd complain such-and-such dollars weren't enough, and gave himself and them a slightly stronger
bargaining position even if they didn't know it.

* Teaming up with Oriole teammate Luis Aparicio to leave a huge Buddha statue in the doorway
of reserve catcher Charlie Lau.

* Giving commissioner Bowie Kuhn a hotfoot . . . by slipping a match to Kuhn's shoe surreptitiously
and running a trail of lighter fluid to it when Kuhn visited the Orioles' clubhouse during Drabowsky's
second stint with the team.

When Drabowsky died in 2006, his widow came up with a beauty: she snuck a little mound of
shaving cream to the crown button of a guest eulogist's Orioles cap. The speaker in question
had no idea what the hell the crowd was laughing at as he wore the cap without knowing about
the shaving cream on top. A perfect send off.