Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95267 times)

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #250 on: May 18, 2017, 07:50:41 pm »
The Braves without Freddie Freeman are like the Angels if they should lose Mike Trout for any considerable
length of time. Never underestimate the psychological power of having your franchise face on the field
with you.

Oh, I know, believe me.  We had proof enough of that in 2015.   
88kleenix
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #251 on: May 18, 2017, 08:53:17 pm »
Oh, I know, believe me.  We had proof enough of that in 2015.   
88kleenix
Look at the Mets and how they're not doing, without Noah Syndergaard and Yoenis Cespedes.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2017, 08:58:30 pm »
Look at the Mets and how they're not doing, without Noah Syndergaard and Yoenis Cespedes.

Absolutely.  It's bad for the team, bad for the fans, bad for the game.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2017, 09:04:16 pm »

Is that why they're 8-2 for the last 10?  We just swept them....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2017, 09:35:10 pm »
I've argued for a long time that teams need to be a lot smarter---and a lot firmer, depending---regarding
injuries. Playing through injuries may get you cred but it can damage your team and shorten your career.

Classic examples:

* Carl Crawford. Played through a bad elbow after signing a gigabucks deal with the Red Sox. Turned out
to need Tommy John surgery in 2012. Admitted he kept his mouth shut for fear of being called a quitter---
especially when Bobby Valentine (who once denounced Mets pitcher Pete Harnisch as a quitter when
Harnisch was actually suffering clinical depression while withdrawing from smokeless tobacco addiction)
managed the Red Sox.

* Leo Durocher was notorious for denouncing injured players as quitters. Among other things, that was
a key reason why the 1969 Cubs collapsed down the stretch: injured players feared speaking up. At one
point, Durocher fined players $500 for not reporting injuries, then fined them for reporting them claiming
they'd reported them "too late." Hell if you do, hell if you don't.

* When Burt Shotton managed the Brooklyn Dodgers, he believed the best way to recover from injuries
was to play through them. It wrecked the career of pitcher Carl Erskine, who pitched through his first
shoulder injury and, though he had a fine 13-year career, never became the ace he was predicted to
become and pitched his entire career in pain.

* David Ortiz tried to come back too soon from an Achilles Tendon injury in late August 2012 . . . and
ended up having to miss the rest of the season.

* Sandy Koufax called it a career after pitching two heavily-medicated seasons with an arthritic elbow.
The Dodgers wouldn't contend again until the 1970s.

* Remember Mark (The Bird) Fidrych? Spring training following his sensational rookie season: injured
his knee, came back too soon, and made a habit of coming back too soon from assorted injuries until
he learned the hard way his rotator cuff had been shredded completely: he learned it after he retired.

* Butch Hobson. Played the game like it was fourth and goal. Played through a shattered elbow and
became notorious for trying to re-arrange the bone chips in both elbows at the plate; set a record for
errors by a third baseman; never got a third of what he should have gotten out of his talent.

* Wayne Garland. Desperate to live up to one of the first long-term big-money free agency contracts,
Garland pitched through a shoulder injury in its first year. Learned after that season it was a rotator
cuff injury he pitched through. Had surgery but was never again the 20-game winning pitcher
for the Orioles that lured the Indians into signing him in the first place, though he did earn a
reputation for guts for trying to pitch on anyway. Fat lot of good it did him.

* Roger Maris. Lost most of his long ball power through a series of hand and wrist injuries, many
of which the Yankees actually tried to hide from him, the better to keep him going out there and
use his remaining box-office appeal as the team faded away in the mid-1960s.

* Jerome Walton. 1989 National League Rookie of the Year. Stole bases like they had his name on them.
Never again equaled that season: a broken wrist and hand turned him into a journeyman, barely.

* Steve Avery---Pitched through an armpit injury in the year he made his lone All-Star team; further
injuries in 1994 finished him as a winning pitcher.

* J.R. Richard---Could throw a shot put through concrete. Pitched through shoulder miseries in
1980, suffered accusations of it all being in his head. After the All-Star break: stroke. Career over.

Just to name a few.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2017, 11:31:21 pm »
I've argued for a long time that teams need to be a lot smarter---and a lot firmer, depending---regarding
injuries. Playing through injuries may get you cred but it can damage your team and shorten your career.

Classic examples:
<snip>
Just to name a few.

Yes, agreed.  I don't mean to imply that players who are injured should suck it up and play through it.  I just meant that it is a shame on many levels when the superstar-level players (like Syndergaard or Baumgarner) get injured.

Your day-in-day-out hard core fans  :whistle:  are still going to be there watching every game, but your more casual fans who might plan a visit or two to the ballpark over the summer are probably less likely to do so if they aren't going to get to see the team's marquee player.  As you pointed out, the team morale takes a hit when the clubhouse leader goes down for the count.

Just bad luck, but still bad for the team, bad for the fans, bad for the game. 

Freddie Freeman's comments on Thor were spot on:
"This is bad for baseball," Freeman said. "He is one of the top three pitchers in the game. The Mets are obviously feeling it a lot more than we are. But when you're talking about one of the game's best pitchers, you want him out there every fifth day. Having him out there is good for baseball and you want to compete against the best. And actually, the best are Syndergaard and Clayton Kershaw."
"You don't want to see people get hurt," Freeman said. "I don't care if I was 0-for-30 with 30 strikeouts against him, you don't want to see that. He's out there competing. He doesn't want to get hurt and we don't want him to get hurt. There are going to be people that say, 'Good, he got hurt.' That's not how I feel and it's not how 99 percent of baseball feels. It's not good. This is one of those guys when you see him on TV, you stop to watch."

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2017, 11:47:52 pm »
Freddie Freeman's comments on Thor were spot on:
Bingo!

I mentioned what I mentioned earlier because Syndergaard declined a scheduled MRI and nobody on the Mets'
brass thought to tell him, "You get that MRI, we need you right!" Then they let him pitch two days later and
bing! Down he went.

Freddie Freeman I've always respected because he's always respected the people who play the game well and
do it right and well even if he's the victim.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2017, 11:50:58 pm »
@Polly Ticks
Speaking of Clayton Kershaw, did you see him the other night? When the Giants' Johnny Cueto threw one
near Yasmani Grandal's head and both benches emptied, Kershaw just walked right through the mob that
was just jawing and jawing and then walked back in the dugout. As if to say, "I don't have time for this B.S."
Clayton Kershaw is a class act.

I had the pleasure of watching him pitch live two years ago and squeezed this shot of him mid-motion:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2017, 11:57:35 pm »
@Polly Ticks
Speaking of Clayton Kershaw, did you see him the other night? When the Giants' Johnny Cueto threw one
near Yasmani Grandal's head and both benches emptied, Kershaw just walked right through the mob that
was just jawing and jawing and then walked back in the dugout. As if to say, "I don't have time for this B.S."
Clayton Kershaw is a class act.

I had the pleasure of watching him pitch live two years ago and squeezed this shot of him mid-motion:

Yes! Definitely a class act.

Wow - that's a fantastic photo!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2017, 02:50:55 am »
Yes! Definitely a class act.

Wow - that's a fantastic photo!
@Polly Ticks
Thank you!

Squeezed these off of Mike Trout at a different game . . .

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2017, 01:59:10 pm »
@Polly Ticks
Thank you!

Squeezed these off of Mike Trout at a different game . . .

Nice!  I love Mike Trout.  He's a good guy.

I'm not much of a photographer, but here's my favorite snapshot of Freddie from our trip to Atlanta last year:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2017, 02:07:39 pm »
Nice!  I love Mike Trout.  He's a good guy.

I'm not much of a photographer, but here's my favorite snapshot of Freddie from our trip to Atlanta last year:

@Polly Ticks
From the look of that evidence you're a good photographer!

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2017, 02:12:04 pm »
LOL -- thanks, but really I just got lucky because my husband bought me REALLY good seats for Christmas. 

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2017, 02:13:08 pm »
LOL -- thanks, but really I just got lucky because my husband bought me REALLY good seats for Christmas.
Good seats and a zoom lens work!

(For both the games I photographed, I had seats down the right field line, and a zoom lens that could
hone right in on the mound or the plate at Angel Stadium.)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2017, 05:36:12 pm »
Congrats on the stellar start to the season. Looking good. But … go Rangers!!! If y’all would quit winning every damn game, maybe we could gain some ground on you. 7 straight for the boys from Arlington.

9 straight.  Boy, the Phillies are spiraling down like a shot bird.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2017, 07:17:26 pm »
Who would say no? Dealing the Nationals a closer

The Need:  A Closer for the Nationals

The Washington Nationals need a closer. Heck, some would argue they need a whole new bullpen. Entering Thursday, they ranked 27th in the majors in bullpen ERA, 20th in win probability added and 16th in strikeout percentage minus walk percentage, while five different relievers have picked up saves. It's enough to make a modern manager's head explode.

With a commanding lead in the terrible NL East, the Nationals have time to sort through the guys on the roster. Veterans Shawn Kelley and Joe Blanton have each surrendered six home runs in 23⅔ combined innings, and if those two don't figure things out, the Nationals will be looking for more than just a closer. One possible addition: Erick Fedde, the 2014 first-round pick, who has been moved to a relief role at Double-A Harrisburg.

snip......

The trade: Soto and a second-tier pitching prospect for Herrera and Cain.

As good as Soto is, he's also just 18 and a few years from the majors. He's probably a left fielder in the long run since he lacks a prototypical right fielder's arm.

The Nationals make a huge upgrade in center field with Cain (who is a free agent) to replace the injured Adam Eaton and acquire Herrera for this season and next.

The Royals get a premium hitting prospect in a system that lacks one, which they'll need as Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas hit free agency.

more at: http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/79614/who-would-say-no-dealing-the-nationals-a-closer

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2017, 07:18:26 pm »
I cannot sit and watch the Nationals from the 7th inning on...

Nauseating.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2017, 07:20:48 pm »
I cannot sit and watch the Nationals from the 7th inning on...

Nauseating.

I know how you feel.
We went through that with the Astros last year.
If they had held on to 1/2 of their late inning leads, they'd won the division outright, instead of missing the wildcard like they did.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:32:06 pm by GrouchoTex »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2017, 07:20:55 pm »
10-15 runs a game?  You don't need no steeenkin bullpen. :seeya:

@DCPatriot
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 07:21:16 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2017, 07:24:25 pm »
I know how you feel.
If they had held on to 1/2 of their late inning leads, they'd won the division outright, instead of misting the wildcard like they did.

@DCPatriot
@GrouchoTex

Psst.  Pssst.  Let's talk to DCP, and see If we can get the Nats to take Fiers for long relief.    :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2017, 07:28:27 pm »
10-15 runs a game?  You don't need no steeenkin bullpen. :seeya:

@DCPatriot

LOL!

Pitching is everything.  Starts there.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2017, 07:29:29 pm »
@DCPatriot
@GrouchoTex

Psst.  Pssst.  Let's talk to DCP, and see If we can get the Nats to take Fiers for long relief.    :silly:

@DCPatriot
@catfish1957

Catfish,

I think you may be on to something.

:pondering:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2017, 07:30:37 pm »
I know how you feel.
If they had held on to 1/2 of their late inning leads, they'd won the division outright, instead of misting the wildcard like they did.

I love the Astros.    Goes with always cheering the underdog.   Each season, they improve.  Watch out.

That freaking left field wall will be as famous as the one in Fenway.   

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #273 on: May 20, 2017, 07:18:03 pm »
The census seems to be that indeed...the ball is 'juiced'.

Two-fifty hackers are hitting them out.  To the opposite field. 

Okay.  But, didn't you want to "shorten" the game?

More importantly, who in the hell guards the baseballs used in the game?   

Today, the average 'life span' of a baseball in a major league game is 4.7 pitches   

http://www.foxsports.com/other/story/major-league-baseballs-have-a-short-shelf-life-062912

But how secure are the baseballs from where the ball boy gets them in that 'bin'?

How possible is it that NORMAL baseballs were pitched to one team and JUICED baseballs pitched to the hometeam?

(Heard some guy got his streak of selecting ballplayers will hit safely in that day's game to 51.....out of the goal of 57.        :laugh:)

I just want a level playing field, and it's bullsh*t to watch a guy weighing 180, hitting it out to the opposite field...at 110 mph.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:18:54 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2017, 08:37:55 pm »
I just want a level playing field, and it's bullsh*t to watch a guy weighing 180, hitting it out to the opposite field...at 110 mph.
Funny you should mention that. Willie Mays's playing weight in his prime was 170 pounds. And he wasn't
strictly a pull hitter. ;)

Meanwhile, here's hoping the Astros lose only one start from Dallas Keuchel over that pinched nerve. Him they
can't afford to lose for longer than that.