Author Topic: Happy 180th birthday Michigan.  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Happy 180th birthday Michigan.
« on: January 26, 2017, 06:07:27 pm »
On Michigan’s 180th birthday we give you 180 reasons to love our state

http://blog.thedetroithub.com/2017/01/26/on-michigans-180th-birthday-we-give-you-180-reasons-to-love-our-state/

I wonder how many people realize that Michigan tops the list in total surface area being water with more than 41% of the total area being water.

The oldest and largest lava flow known on Earth is located on the Keweenaw Peninsula. The Keweenaw Peninsula is also the only site in the nation where prehistoric mining of copper occurred.

In 2014, Michigan had more underground natural gas storage capacity than any other state.

The modern two-day weekend has its origins in the Michigan labor movement. FALSE industrialist Henry Ford is behind that because it was easier to hire 1000 guys once than to hire 1000 new ones every week.

Michigan’s Antrim Gas Field is one of the nation’s top 100 natural gas fields.

Detroit is the only city in the continental U.S. where you look South to Canada. So, geographically speaking, there is no such thing as being born and raised in South Detroit. Just a city boy, born and raised in South Detroit...

While Michigan doesn’t stop you from having an alligator as a pet, it is illegal to tie your alligator to a fire hydrant. Stinkin fascists

The Seney Stretch in the U.P. is the longest curveless section of highway east of the Mississippi River.

Rogers Quarry is the world’s largest limestone quarry.

Sault Ste. Marie is the third oldest remaining settlement in the United States.

Michigan’s Woodward Dream Cruise is the largest one-day auto event in the world.

The Soo Locks are the largest and busiest waterway traffic systems in the world.

It’s illegal to scowl at a woman in Detroit on Sundays. Stinkin fascists

A massive salt mine is 1,200 feet below the streets of Detroit.

Jackson is the birthplace of the Republican Party. Ripon Wisconsin actually but the first party convention was held in Jackson

Michigan’s state motto is “Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice,” meaning “If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you.”

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Happy 180th birthday Michigan.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 06:13:46 pm »
Thanks Cc!  I love these kinds of posts and I enjoyed your edits (Stinkin fascists!).  Happy Birthday Michigan!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:18:05 pm »

The state coat of arms depicts a light blue shield, upon which the sun rises over a lake and peninsula, and a man with a raised hand representing peace and holding a long gun representing the fight for state and nation as a frontier state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Michigan

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 06:24:00 pm »
Yoopers  are closer to wisc and closet cheeseheads...will they be celebrating?!

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 06:27:17 pm »

My brother in law is from Houghton and he's a Green Bay fan.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 07:42:57 pm »

Not as if Michigan has a professional football team anyway.

(Yes, I am a Lions fan).

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 07:45:16 pm »
Also of interest is the correspondence between the man who became Michigan's first senator (John Norvell) and Thomas Jefferson in which Jefferson unloads on the press.

To Jefferson from Norvell

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/99-01-02-5565

Jefferson's response

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/99-01-02-5737

Incidentally I happen to live in the tiny town named after John Norvell. There are only about 75 of us here.

Offline Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 02:40:50 am »
Yum. Pasties:) My mother was born and raised in Marquette MI. Spent many a joyful summer there picking blueberries and playing with my cousins. My mother would make a pasty just like her mom would make. The crust was from scratch, no ground beef but some other cut of beef, carrots, onions and diced potatoes. We always ate them with catsup. My mom preferred the rutabagas but we didn't like them. Her family was French Canadian.

I make pasties too but I tweaked the recipe to make things much faster and easier. I don't make my own crust. I do sometimes use frozen hash browns but using fresh makes a moister pasty. I mix the inners (ground beef, diced onions, diced potatoes some spices and shredded carrots) together like a meatloaf, add a bit of onion gravy and voila! Bake for 1 hour at 350 and it's done.

Funny thing is that my son met a girl here in WI and married her. Her father was also born and raised in Marquette MI but they were Finish. Now he spends a lot of time during the summer months at her family's "camp" just outside of Marquette.

It's a beautiful place to visit during the summer but stay away in the winter LOL!

Great post! Thanks:)