Author Topic: Stop Telling Us How to Be Patriotic: New president, same kind of cult of personality.  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Victoria33

@CatherineofAragon

One here seems to think I am Hispanic.  As you definitely know me, my ancestors came from England and I don't have a drop of Spanish blood anywhere in my linage.  A great, great, grandfather on my father's side, did marry a Choctaw Indian woman during their trek to Oklahoma, so there is a drop or two of Choctaw Indian in my body.  I don't have a desire for arrows or tomahawks, but you do know I have a "sword" instrument, sort of like Michonne on Walking Dead, plus a short sword in a walking cane. Those are legal in Texas.   :seeya:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trump will get things in order,

Folks have derided him as a New York Liberal, well, he's going to be the Yankee General of your worst dreams, just the way the Yankee army stormed through the immoral South with it's slavery.

You're illustrating yourself an historical ignoramus.

When was the Battle of First Manassas and why did Yankee Troops advance into the South - for what purpose? (Hint: it had nothing to do with slavery- it was to suppress rebellion and restore Federal law in the Southern states, per Lincoln's own hand).

When was the Emancipation Proclamation given?

In short, slavery had little to do with the motivation of Yankee troops invading the South, despite that being the cassus belli due the taxation of slave owners by the North who sought to end the competition of Southern agribusiness at the dawn of industrialization.

Food for thought:

You and I are in agreement on the abomination and horrors of abortion.

Would you agree that we paid the price of the sin of slavery in blood The Lord Exacted for that institutionalized sin with the civil war?

If so - does it not cause you to tremble and fear for the nation at the cost in blood God may require of us for the institutionalized slaughter of an entire generation of Americans?

Just thought we might share some common ground for a moment.

Now, there has been immorality in the North, Trump will whip things into shape nonetheless,

That is funny to contemplate since Trump bragged publicly about bedding other men's wives along with a host of other lack of moral character issues.  I just can't picture Trump ala St. Patrick driving snakes out of the land.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline corbe

@TomSea

Win the battle-Lost the war.

Of the 5 Civil War battles in Texas the Confederacy won 3, so of what significance is this you may ask, absolutely nothing so why are you talking about it.

Cruz is not Hispanic he is a Canadian of Cuban descent, remember?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:43:24 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Silver Pines

Thank you!

You spoke for a lot of us there in that post.

@INVAR

It's a subject I didn't expect I would have to get into over here. 

Also, my apologies to TBR members who live in northern states.  None of that was meant for you.  I can think of a few dumb Southerners I'd replace with you, if I had my way.

Silver Pines

This North-South business is just pure idiocy (and I say that as someone with an ancestor who was a Rebel sniper but who has lived as a northerner all her life). The war's over. Move on. We are Americans.

@mountaineer

I agree.  I'm a lifelong Southerner who doesn't want to fight the war all over again.  I got sick of those threads elsewhere.

That said, when someone tells me he's going to kick the "immoral" South's butt again, I'm going to hand him his butt.  And then move on.

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

One here seems to think I am Hispanic.  As you definitely know me, my ancestors came from England and I don't have a drop of Spanish blood anywhere in my linage.  A great, great, grandfather on my father's side, did marry a Choctaw Indian woman during their trek to Oklahoma, so there is a drop or two of Choctaw Indian in my body.  I don't have a desire for arrows or tomahawks, but you do know I have a "sword" instrument, sort of like Michonne on Walking Dead, plus a short sword in a walking cane. Those are legal in Texas.   :seeya:

@Victoria33

That's because you're just cool.

I'm of English descent, too.  But I've been told I could pass for Italian because of my hair, which is dark and very curly.  I got that from my maternal grandfather.  I wonder who else is in the family tree...Jewish"  Black?  Maybe Italian?  Or is it just the ancient Celt coming out?   :laugh:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@mountaineer

I agree.  I'm a lifelong Southerner who doesn't want to fight the war all over again.  I got sick of those threads elsewhere.

That said, when someone tells me he's going to kick the "immoral" South's butt again, I'm going to hand him his butt.  And then move on.

:amen:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
@Victoria33

That's because you're just cool.

I'm of English descent, too.  But I've been told I could pass for Italian because of my hair, which is dark and very curly.  I got that from my maternal grandfather.  I wonder who else is in the family tree...Jewish"  Black?  Maybe Italian?  Or is it just the ancient Celt coming out?   :laugh:

If you are of English descent - it's very probably all of the above with a few more thrown in for good measure. A mongrel breed, we English.  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Silver Pines

If you are of English descent - it's very probably all of the above with a few more thrown in for good measure. A mongrel breed, we English.  :laugh:

@EC

That's quite true!

Offline Lando Lincoln

My Mother was very proud of her Norwegian descent.  Some years ago, she became immersed in the genealogy thing.  Along the way, she realized a couple Anglo chaps occupied a branch or two on the family tree.  I remember telling her she had just found a portal to the world.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

@TomSea

You say you don't idolize Trump, yet look at the hysterical tone of your post.

Well, you sure do seem to hate the South.  But do you really want to go there?  Because I can go toe to toe with you on that.

We can talk about the absolute garbage premise that the North was some kind of peaceful, loving, morally whitewashed haven for blacks.  I can give you chapter and verse of how the North made life hell for blacks who thought they'd found a refuge.  We can discuss the fact that, though slavery had been officially abolished, there were pockets of slave-owning still being practiced right up to the eve of the war, and beyond it.  We can get into the enormous wealth that was created from the slave trade, and how Northern slave ships continued to carry slaves to the South well after slavery itself was outlawed there.

So you can climb right off that moral high horse. 

It's funny...only yesterday I was talking to another TBRer about folks like you.  By that I mean those "enlightened' individuals who haven't a damned clue about the South, who come down here and think they know all about race relations, and who believe in their moral superiority by virtue of being born elsewhere.  Then I described the only racial incident I've witnessed to date.  It involved a fat old man getting into an argument with a black lady.  He yelled that she ought to go back to Africa where she came from. 

The man had a New York/Jersey accent. 

Final thought: you and your fellow Yankees hold the South in contempt, so do me a favor and talk to them, will you?  Encourage them to stay the hell out of it and put the brakes on migrating down here.  We're sick of Northerners crowding in and bringing their liberalism, their lack of manners, and their anti-social tendencies.  My state would likely still be red if it weren't for colonization by liberal Yankees.

You take your liberal Northern cesspool and your talk about "kicking the South's butt again" and shove it.  You get me?

Thread hijack off.  If you want to continue, we'll do it in PM.

As a born and bred Yankee, I say BRAVA!!!

Well done, my Southern friend!

(And might I add that the people I agree with most on this forum just happen to be from the south!)

I'm glad your side lost because I wouldn't want you to live in a different country than I do.  :dx1:

@CatherineofAragon
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:12:33 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Also, my apologies to TBR members who live in northern states.  None of that was meant for you.  I can think of a few dumb Southerners I'd replace with you, if I had my way.

In the immortal words of Archie Bunker, no intense offended, m'lady. :)

(For the record: I'm a native New Yorker---Bronx born, Bronx and Long Island raised [and no, I am not a
Yankee fan: I've been a Met fan since the day they were born]; have since lived in Denver and Omaha [with
the Air Force], New York State's Mid-Hudson Valley, northeastern Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C. [I worked as
a Heritage Foundation researcher for a year], northern and southern California, a brief [one year] spell
in Louisville, Kentucky, and have lived ten years and counting in Las Vegas. Around all that, there are only
eleven U.S. states I haven't visited at least once.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

(For the record: I'm a native New Yorker---Bronx born, Bronx and Long Island raised [and no, I am not a
Yankee fan: I've been a Met fan since the day they were born]; have since lived in Denver and Omaha [with
the Air Force], New York State's Mid-Hudson Valley, northeastern Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C. [I worked as
a Heritage Foundation researcher for a year]
, northern and southern California, a brief [one year] spell
in Louisville, Kentucky, and have lived ten years and counting in Las Vegas. Around all that, there are only

How do you get a gig like that?  I would love to do that!

Offline EasyAce

How do you get a gig like that?  I would love to do that!

It was a long time ago, 1990 to be specific. I had a friend who knew someone at Heritage and made
the connection for us, and I took it from there. I enjoyed working there that year (I was assigned
to their Congress department, whatever they called it then or now), but it was a time when my life
otherwise had been shattered, so it was as much medicinal as professional to me.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Silver Pines

As a born and bred Yankee, I say BRAVA!!!

Well done, my Southern friend!

(And might I add that the people I agree with most on this forum just happen to be from the south!)

I'm glad your side lost because I wouldn't want you to live in a different country than I do.  :dx1:

@CatherineofAragon

@musiclady

That's a very sweet thing to say, and I'm humbled.  Thank you.

I hope you saw my apology if I offended anyone on the forum who happens to reside in the North.  I did not mean that for you all.

Just the jerk(s).   :laugh:

Silver Pines

a Heritage Foundation researcher for a year], northern and southern California, a brief [one year] spell

@EasyAce

Dang, you really have been all over! 

My brother-in-law is from New York.  A dear friend of mine is from New Jersey. She once told me that she loved my accent.  I replied that I don't have one, but she does.   :laugh:   She's Italian, and one time she mentioned making gravy for dinner but forgetting the pasta.  That didn't make any sense to me.  Who serves gravy over pasta?  Finally I understood that what we call spaghetti sauce is "gravy" if you're Italian.

Offline musiclady

@musiclady

That's a very sweet thing to say, and I'm humbled.  Thank you.

I hope you saw my apology if I offended anyone on the forum who happens to reside in the North.  I did not mean that for you all.

Just the jerk(s).   :laugh:

It clearly was not meant for this Ohioan, who is perhaps the most patriotic person on the forum.  :dx1:

(Joking people.......... Joking!)

I was not offended a bit, since it was clear who your target was, and it was much deserved.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I have a dream...

@TomSea
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EasyAce

A dear friend of mine is from New Jersey. She once told me that she loved my accent.  I replied that I don't have one, but she does.   :laugh:
@CatherineofAragon
*chuckling* Everybody has an accent---to people outside someone's native grounds. Though all the time I've
lived and traveled away from New York have flatted a lot of the Bronx out of my voice . . .

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon
*chuckling* Everybody has an accent---to people outside someone's native grounds. Though all the time I've
lived and traveled away from New York have flatted a lot of the Bronx out of my voice . . .

@EasyAce

Oh, I know, we just like to tease each other, lol. 

As a Virginian, my accent is much less pronounced than someone who lives in, say, Tennessee or Louisiana.  Sometimes when I hear a Deep South accent, the difference actually startles me.

geronl

Tom, you should probably try to accustom yourself to the fact that Trump is simply not going to receive unqualified praise over the next four years.  It will save you a lot of frustration.

TomSea, third from the left in the cheer section.

geronl

That is funny to contemplate since Trump bragged publicly about bedding other men's wives along with a host of other lack of moral character issues.  I just can't picture Trump ala St. Patrick driving snakes out of the land.

Trump has more in common with Caligula than with Reagan