Author Topic: Stop Telling Us How to Be Patriotic: New president, same kind of cult of personality.  (Read 5382 times)

Silver Pines

Darned right, I'm in awe of him.

...and so, are a lot of 'you'.    :laugh:

@DCPatriot

I know you are.  You posted a song to him the other day. 

Awe is wasted on politicians. 

Silver Pines

@EasyAce

Thank you for the article.  It's a good reminder that patriotism has everything to do with the country and with principles, but nothing to do with personalities.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Agree 100% with this article.

Not only do you not have to worship Trump, you can praise him while acknowledging his many shortcomings. Nuance is fine.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Awful.  His breaking down of a reply that way?   I scroll right on by.

Don't have time for that.

I'll write the big words in crayon for you in the future, and keep it to a Dr. Seuss level for you.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
@EasyAce

Thank you for the article.  It's a good reminder that patriotism has everything to do with the country and with principles, but nothing to do with personalities.

@CatherineofAragon

You're welcome. It's also a useful reminder that, to borrow a locution from Edward R. Murrow, Donaldus Minimus didn't
create this climate and cult of personalities (a climate and cult attaching to the presidency and those who have held
it for a very, very long time now), he merely exploits it, and rather successfully. Now, to quote Mr. Murrow directly,
"Cassius was right. The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars but ourselves."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

You're welcome. It's also a useful reminder that, to borrow a locution from Edward R. Murrow, Donaldus Minimus didn't
create this climate and cult of personalities (a climate and cult attaching to the presidency and those who have held
it for a very, very long time now), he merely exploits it, and rather successfully. Now, to quote Mr. Murrow directly,
"Cassius was right. The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars but ourselves."

@Easy Ace

Exactly right.

Offline chae

@Right_in_Virginia

Nope, it actually just came to me as I was typing it, but thanks! 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia

Nope, it actually just came to me as I was typing it, but thanks!

Please, save your gratitude.  I wasn't complimenting you.   :whistle:

@chae

Offline chae

Come on your messiah won, no need to be such a salty *****

Offline Frank Cannon

Agree 100% with this article.

Nuance is fine.

So is Larry.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The first thing to do to remove this personality cult is for TBR to remove Reagan's picture from the top banner.

Trump detractors, as per the Libertarian Reason, as usual, are .... in to the wind.

Offline corbe

The first thing to do to remove this personality cult is for TBR to remove Reagan's picture from the top banner.

Trump detractors, as per the Libertarian Reason, as usual, are .... in to the wind.

Maybe replace it with this @TomSea ?

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

The Losertarians and their fringe candidates can use the pot or get off it, all of these anti-Trumpers are struggling for relevancy while Trump goes to work and these outfits, Resurgent, Ben Shapiro, Red State, nit-pick at whatever possible to keep themselves employed.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Oh, how you do adore this singular man @corbe ...  :smokin:

Offline TomSea

I'm sure just because he has a Hispanic name, he won't get words of hate from Hispanic posters here, so for that, good.  But for those who value integrity and doing things, there are others.

Now, waiting for the Cruz-cabal to bully how no one can judge Cruz or Rick unless they live in Texas,

@Victoria33  @Idaho_Cowboy @corbe @Sanguine

But judging others hatefully is no problem for others.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:36:22 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Trump and Pence have already saved lives of the unborn, the Cruz-Losers TRUMP HATERS go on their peacock strutting, pretty sick.  Too good to vote for Trump; they deserve no applause for doing nothing.  Bring it on.  I don't have my messiah and act like he's Christ.  Enjoy your minority-majority state, sounds like this is why some pols have had to flip-flop on immigration.  Unlimited green cards? Yeah, that's the ticket.

@corbe
I'm not a hater, who refuses to vote for the well-being of the country, Trump's a yankee, Yankee kicked the immoral south's butt and they can do it again.  Had to fight for independence of Texas to have slavery, be proud of the heritage. Got their butts kicked in the Civil War for their immorality and that war screwed up the North's cities.  So per the hate that the Cruz Cult pushes, have some of your own. South was going to be demographically dwarfed with slavery anyway.

Cruz is sucking up all over Trump in this; for a dose of reality,

Trump won Dixie, you all, ya'll want to divide people, go ahead, your man couldn't win any of the old South.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:45:01 am by TomSea »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I'm not a hater, who refuses to vote for the well-being of the country, Trump's a yankee, Yankee kicked the immoral south's butt and they can do it again...
Trump won Dixie, you all, ya'll want to divide people, go ahead, your man couldn't win any of the old South.

Thanks for illustrating Harsanyi's entire point even beyond his scope.  Perhaps showcase your unity principle about how you Yankees can kick our Southern butts ala another civil war some more.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Had to fight for independence of Texas to have slavery, be proud of the heritage.
You forgot to finish the sentence
"that began in the original 13 colonies."
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Silver Pines

The Losertarians and their fringe candidates can use the pot or get off it, all of these anti-Trumpers are struggling for relevancy while Trump goes to work and these outfits, Resurgent, Ben Shapiro, Red State, nit-pick at whatever possible to keep themselves employed.

@TomSea

So true, Tom!  That Ben Shapiro is a nothingburger.  A loser.  He's a bestselling author; the founder and editor of The Daily Wire;  co-founder of the media watchdog site, TruthRevolt; a fellow at The David Horowitz Freedom Center; columnist for Townhall and National Review; and he travels to universities and colleges all over the country, smacking down liberals and bringing conservatism to a generation which doesn't have a clue what it really is. 

But he dares to criticize Trump, so that wipes out his accomplishments and makes him a big fat zero.  Absolutely.

I hear that Erick Erickson has been reduced to begging on street corners as a result of his failure to idolize Trump. /s

Tom, you should probably try to accustom yourself to the fact that Trump is simply not going to receive unqualified praise over the next four years.  It will save you a lot of frustration.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
@TomSea

So true, Tom!  That Ben Shapiro is a nothingburger.  A loser.  He's a bestselling author; the founder and editor of The Daily Wire;  co-founder of the media watchdog site, TruthRevolt; a fellow at The David Horowitz Freedom Center; columnist for Townhall and National Review; and he travels to universities and colleges all over the country, smacking down liberals and bringing conservatism to a generation which doesn't have a clue what it really is. 

But he dares to criticize Trump, so that wipes out his accomplishments and makes him a big fat zero.  Absolutely.

I hear that Erick Erickson has been reduced to begging on street corners as a result of his failure to idolize Trump. /s

Tom, you should probably try to accustom yourself to the fact that Trump is simply not going to receive unqualified praise over the next four years.  It will save you a lot of frustration.

Tomsea is really taking on the characteristics of his idol: that of a deranged, angry old man yelling at clouds.

Silver Pines

@TomSea

Trump and Pence have already saved lives of the unborn, the Cruz-Losers TRUMP HATERS go on their peacock strutting, pretty sick.  Too good to vote for Trump; they deserve no applause for doing nothing.  Bring it on.  I don't have my messiah and act like he's Christ.  Enjoy your minority-majority state, sounds like this is why some pols have had to flip-flop on immigration.  Unlimited green cards? Yeah, that's the ticket.

You say you don't idolize Trump, yet look at the hysterical tone of your post.

I'm not a hater, who refuses to vote for the well-being of the country, Trump's a yankee, Yankee kicked the immoral south's butt and they can do it again.  Had to fight for independence of Texas to have slavery, be proud of the heritage. Got their butts kicked in the Civil War for their immorality and that war screwed up the North's cities.  So per the hate that the Cruz Cult pushes, have some of your own. South was going to be demographically dwarfed with slavery anyway.

Well, you sure do seem to hate the South.  But do you really want to go there?  Because I can go toe to toe with you on that.

We can talk about the absolute garbage premise that the North was some kind of peaceful, loving, morally whitewashed haven for blacks.  I can give you chapter and verse of how the North made life hell for blacks who thought they'd found a refuge.  We can discuss the fact that, though slavery had been officially abolished, there were pockets of slave-owning still being practiced right up to the eve of the war, and beyond it.  We can get into the enormous wealth that was created from the slave trade, and how Northern slave ships continued to carry slaves to the South well after slavery itself was outlawed there.

So you can climb right off that moral high horse. 

It's funny...only yesterday I was talking to another TBRer about folks like you.  By that I mean those "enlightened' individuals who haven't a damned clue about the South, who come down here and think they know all about race relations, and who believe in their moral superiority by virtue of being born elsewhere.  Then I described the only racial incident I've witnessed to date.  It involved a fat old man getting into an argument with a black lady.  He yelled that she ought to go back to Africa where she came from. 

The man had a New York/Jersey accent. 

Final thought: you and your fellow Yankees hold the South in contempt, so do me a favor and talk to them, will you?  Encourage them to stay the hell out of it and put the brakes on migrating down here.  We're sick of Northerners crowding in and bringing their liberalism, their lack of manners, and their anti-social tendencies.  My state would likely still be red if it weren't for colonization by liberal Yankees.

You take your liberal Northern cesspool and your talk about "kicking the South's butt again" and shove it.  You get me?

Thread hijack off.  If you want to continue, we'll do it in PM.

Silver Pines

Tomsea is really taking on the characteristics of his idol: that of a deranged, angry old man yelling at clouds.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

You say you don't idolize Trump, yet look at the hysterical tone of your post.

Well, you sure do seem to hate the South.  But do you really want to go there?  Because I can go toe to toe with you on that.

...you and your fellow Yankees hold the South in contempt, so do me a favor and talk to them, will you?  Encourage them to stay the hell out of it and put the brakes on migrating down here.  We're sick of Northerners crowding in and bringing their liberalism, their lack of manners, and their anti-social tendencies.  My state would likely still be red if it weren't for colonization by liberal Yankees.

You take your liberal Northern cesspool and your talk about "kicking the South's butt again" and shove it.  You get me?

Thank you!

You spoke for a lot of us there in that post.

Offline TomSea

Trump will get things in order,

Folks have derided him as a New York Liberal, well, he's going to be the Yankee General of your worst dreams, just the way the Yankee army stormed through the immoral South with it's slavery.

Texas, now is a minority majority state.

@Victoria33 @chosendaughter (posted some sort of blog entry which was Christian with an Asian author) who has treated others in a very nasty way as well.

Have it your way but all should be seen as well. If one combines this with that teacher in Dallas in the health and education forum, maybe one needs to consider these other options.

Now, there has been immorality in the North, Trump will whip things into shape nonetheless, at least Trump can win Dixie.

Go ahead and have your Cruz cult, I guess he has the right kind of name. That's the personality cult.

Online mountaineer

This North-South business is just pure idiocy (and I say that as someone with an ancestor who was a Rebel sniper but who has lived as a northerner all her life). The war's over. Move on. We are Americans.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org