Author Topic: Vicente Fox says US makes mediocre cars and that's why auto industry collapsed  (Read 3085 times)

Online corbe

Vicente Fox says US makes mediocre cars and that's why auto industry collapsed

Matthew J. Belvedere   | @Matt_Belvedere
4 Hours Ago
CNBC.com

U.S. automakers can't compete in the global economy by manufacturing cars in America, former Mexican President Vicente Fox claimed in a CNBC interview on Friday.

"You produce cars in the United States at such a high price and such a mediocre, mediocre quality that you cannot compete, you cannot compete manufacturing in the United States," Fox asserted in a contentious interview after the Twitter war erupted between President Donald Trump and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.

"That's why Ford, Chrysler, General Motors went broke," Fox said.

"By joining up the production in Mexico, the United States, and Canada, they are back to business for Chrysler and General Motors," Fox claimed in the "Squawk Box" appearance.

At the same time, Fox talked up the manufacturing quality in Mexico. "We're productive, because we're competitive, because we produce high-quality cars. We are not taking away jobs from the United States. It's robots ... not Mexico."

<..snip..>

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/27/vicente-fox-says-us-makes-mediocre-cars-and-thats-why-auto-industry-collapsed.html

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jpsb

Keep it up Vicente Fox, just keep on running your mouth and see what happens.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:21:17 pm by jpsb »

Offline mirraflake

..and what have those taco munchers perfected other than drug cartels and tequila

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Tacos.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jpsb

Tacos.

Mexico makes a mediocre Taco, come to Texas for a good taco.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:24:37 pm by jpsb »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Done it.  :laugh:

Had some in Austin that were amazing (also the second best fish and chips I've had in my life - from a food truck, apparently locally famous). Houston - meh, they were OK.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
He's just made that we make better Taco Bowls. Our Tacos Bowls are the best, they are yuge, nobody makes better taco bowls. I really mean that.... :tongue2:

And who in the blue blazes cares what Vincente Fox thinks anywho? Washed up has been, sad...
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Trump is holding talks with the leaders of the UK and Mexico on the same day.

And has-been-Fox, wants some media face time. Me, me, me. "I can curse in English. I used to be somebody."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Mexico makes a mediocre Taco, come to Texas for a good taco.

Or come to California for an equal or better one. Somewhat different flavors. Less use of beans in California, that what I remember of TexMex.

I used to visit a place in East Lost Angeles where you made your own Tacos, burritos going down a buffet style line (like Chipotle,, but you did it, not the server).

But another place, since 1955, offers authentic fare, too "El Tepeyac" and their famous Hollenbeck and Manuel's Special burritos. They make a really huge one,, and it is free if you can finish it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bQ9UhP8ezM
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

U.S. automakers can't compete in the global economy by manufacturing cars in America, former Mexican President Vicente Fox claimed

Seriously, though... is he wrong?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:19:43 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online corbe

@Suppressed   Actually, he is not wrong, and the majority of the blame, IMHO, lies at the feet of the UAW and their cohorts-the Dem party.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
@Suppressed   Actually, he is not wrong, and the majority of the blame, IMHO, lies at the feet of the UAW and their cohorts-the Dem party.

Nah. Fault lies with your civic planners.

All your roads are straight. No need to design and build cars that can actually handle being driven.  :tongue2:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
As a car guy, I do agree that there is a point to be made here. If you compare US models to comparably priced EU or Japanese brands, for example, you are going to find dollar for dollar, you get less technology, shorter lifespans, and poorer fit and finish.

One famous comparison is Ford cars sold here versus their EU counterparts by the same label. The Ford Mondeo sold in the EU is essentially the same car as the Ford Fusion/Focus (depending on if it is a hatchback), same body style, equivalent price point. However, the Mondeo is generally a generation or two ahead of the Fusion. The Mondeo is considered a mid range car there that can easily compete with a BMW 3 series or Volvo S60. Here, the Fusion base is an economy car devoid of any of nicer trim packages found in Europe's standard base models.

These are both cars that sell for $20K=$30K US.

European Ford Mondeo interior.

US Ford Fusion interior.

Just for a bit of comparison too
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:50:41 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Suppressed

@corbe @EC @AbaraXas

Thank you for the confirmation.  That's what frustrates me so much about Trump's government-enforced wealth transfer from the American consumer to the unions.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jpsb

Or come to California for an equal or better one. Somewhat different flavors. Less use of beans in California, that what I remember of TexMex.

I used to visit a place in East Lost Angeles where you made your own Tacos, burritos going down a buffet style line (like Chipotle,, but you did it, not the server).

But another place, since 1955, offers authentic fare, too "El Tepeyac" and their famous Hollenbeck and Manuel's Special burritos. They make a really huge one,, and it is free if you can finish it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bQ9UhP8ezM

Yummy, looks good.

Offline jpsb

Of course he is wrong. Boeing, SpaceX, caterpillar, etc. To suggest that the USA can not complete in the auto business is absurd.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

That Fox is so full of himself lately.  Why is he the one always in the news from Mexico?

Is he their John McCain?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

Many years ago when my cousin and her husband bought their first Toyota, her father, a union man, hit the roof.  But despite all the negative publicity of late (faulty air bags, etc.), Cousin and hubby are very happy with the Toyotas they've had and now have.  I've ridden in their latest Camry, and it was a good ride. 

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Many years ago when my cousin and her husband bought their first Toyota, her father, a union man, hit the roof.  But despite all the negative publicity of late (faulty air bags, etc.), Cousin and hubby are very happy with the Toyotas they've had and now have.  I've ridden in their latest Camry, and it was a good ride.
I think Ford is finally catching up; but when it comes to small runabout cars, the Japanese car companies (Honda, Mazda etc) have been building a better value car for quite some time.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
As a car guy, I do agree that there is a point to be made here.  . . .

One famous comparison is Ford cars sold here versus their EU counterparts by the same label. The Ford Mondeo sold in the EU is essentially the same car as the Ford Fusion/Focus (depending on if it is a hatchback), same body style, equivalent price point.

I don't claim to be a "car guy" but even I know that the Ford Fusion and Focus are completely different cars.   (The Fusion, for what it's worth, is assembled in Hermosillo, Mexico.)
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Wingnut

All your roads are straight. No need to design and build cars that can actually handle being driven.  :tongue2:

When your county is the size of a postage stamp you need all those turns so the ride lasts longer. ^-^

HonestJohn

No, he is right.

The whole reason that American car companies are now referred to as the Big-2.5 is because of this.

We made cars that did not meet the needs of the American driver... and then built them extremely poorly.  And then we charged more for that 'privilege'.

Which is why the share of the US auto market captured by our automakers shrank from the 1970-2000.  And why they needed repeated bailouts.

Furthermore, this *WASN'T* a union problem.  For German, Japanese, and Korean automakers *ALL* have highly unionized labor.  In the case of Korea, their unions are *FAR* more militant and strike-prone than our own (to the point of striking almost every single year).

HonestJohn

As a car guy, I do agree that there is a point to be made here. If you compare US models to comparably priced EU or Japanese brands, for example, you are going to find dollar for dollar, you get less technology, shorter lifespans, and poorer fit and finish.

One famous comparison is Ford cars sold here versus their EU counterparts by the same label. The Ford Mondeo sold in the EU is essentially the same car as the Ford Fusion/Focus (depending on if it is a hatchback), same body style, equivalent price point. However, the Mondeo is generally a generation or two ahead of the Fusion. The Mondeo is considered a mid range car there that can easily compete with a BMW 3 series or Volvo S60. Here, the Fusion base is an economy car devoid of any of nicer trim packages found in Europe's standard base models.

These are both cars that sell for $20K=$30K US.

European Ford Mondeo interior.

US Ford Fusion interior.

Just for a bit of comparison too

This was true up until about 2009/2010 (at least, for Ford).

If you look at their cars after that point, you'll see that the interiors are the same now.  (and the exteriors, for that matter)

That was when Ford realized that it cost a lot of money maintaining two (or more) design bureaus.  And that it cost a lot to build two versions of the same model.  So they pretty much handed the job of designing their cars over to their European offices.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:58:05 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Frank Cannon

You are closer to the truth than you know.

BTW, Mexico is know as the forefront on cutting edge automotive design....

HonestJohn