Author Topic: Navy to give final farewell to USS Enterprise, world’s 1st nuclear-powered carrier, next week  (Read 597 times)

rangerrebew

Navy to give final farewell to USS Enterprise, world’s 1st nuclear-powered carrier, next week

By Brock Vergakis
    The Virginian-Pilot
    20 hrs ago

NEWPORT NEWS

The world’s first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier will be decommissioned next week in what will be the final farewell to a warship that has played a role in major world events from the 1962 Cuban missile crisis to the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The USS Enterprise has spent the past several years being defueled and dismantled at Newport News Shipbuilding, the shipyard where it was built and refueled.

The “Big E,” as it was affectionately called by its crew, was inactivated from service in 2012 in front of about 12,000 people in a ceremony at Norfolk Naval Station after completing its 25th deployment.

http://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/navy-to-give-final-farewell-to-aircraft-carrier-uss-enterprise/article_7e3e201c-8c2c-5c5b-b474-b4718cd0bdd4.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:03:43 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Farewell, Big E... I'll never forget your old SCANFAR look.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn