Author Topic: White House press secretary says border wall will be funded by 20% import tax on Mexican goods  (Read 13440 times)

Offline chae

I don't think Latin America will show solidarity with Mexico.   A friend of mine used,to do security in Central America and he said Mexico is hard core on their southern border security

Offline NavyCanDo

Oh no. Sombrero prices are going up......and with Cinco de Mayo right around the corner.

Honeywell out of Mexicalli Mexico a supplier to Boeing does not make Sombreros. Lets not play dumb on what ships to the U.S. from Mexico.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The most noticeable and immediate impact will be at the grocery store, with our fruits and vegetables.  Quite a lot is imported from Mexico.

We import approx. $19 billion in food from Mexico, out of approx. $119 billion of total food imports (2014, USDA), and that total is estimated to be 20% of total food consumed (USDA 2013).

Using those figures, a 20% tariff on Mexican imports yields a 0.64% increase in total food prices.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/us-food-imports.aspx

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/international-markets-trade/us-agricultural-trade/import-share-of-consumption.aspx
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
And since the US throws away between 31% and 40% of all food purchased anyway - it isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
We import approx. $19 billion in food from Mexico, out of approx. $119 billion of total food imports (2014, USDA), and that total is estimated to be 20% of total food consumed (USDA 2013).

Using those figures, a 20% tariff on Mexican imports yields a 0.64% increase in total food prices.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/us-food-imports.aspx

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/international-markets-trade/us-agricultural-trade/import-share-of-consumption.aspx

We're watching "The Art of the Deal" live on the screen.

It's all part of getting what he wants. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Stunning proof that this remains a #nevertrump site.

Item after item as we are nearly finished with the fourth day, get criticized. FOUTH DAY.

So called Conservatives and Republicans have asked for change for years, yet when it comes in boatloads, the uproar against change is amazing.

More and more proof that "establishment Republicans" and their entrenched status quo, are a big part of the problem.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

Honeywell out of Mexicalli Mexico a supplier to Boeing does not make Sombreros. Lets not play dumb on what ships to the U.S. from Mexico.

Oh yeah? Well let's not forget what's at stake. Either we shut down the border and get our own labor force back to work or we tax the shit out of Boeing, the folks peddling that piece of shit Dreamliner no one wants to buy, to support the new non working country.

Or we can have a lottery and exterminate the excess populace that don't have jobs at these places that take cheap Mexican stuff, staple it together and put a "Made In America" sticker on it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:27:06 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Item after item as we are nearly finished with the fourth day, get criticized. FOUTH DAY.

So called Conservatives and Republicans have asked for change for years, yet when it comes in boatloads, the uproar against change is amazing.

More and more proof that "establishment Republicans" and their entrenched status quo, are a big part of the problem.

Funny, you are here, that doesn't make this a #NeverTrump site. This is an open site where people are free to express their opinions pro and con. You are expressing your pro opinion, others are expressing their con opinion.

I know you dream of a day where one orthodoxy is enforced, but that isn't here.

We are adults here, we can express different opinions.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Gotta love cry babies that whinge about this being a never Trump site...Yet aren't banned and are still allowed to post here.

Wish I could be free to voice my opinion at the forum you run to when you want to trash us here at TBR.

Meanwhile you have TBR members expressing anal discomfort about TBR because they feel it's too PRO Trump.

Both sides are childish buffoonish and completely WRONG about TBR.

I wish all of you who feel so abused and mis treated by this place would just lock yourselves in a room and beat each over the head with your self righteous indignation until you're all unconscious.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline ABX

Oh yeah? Well let's not forget what's at stake. Either we shut down the border and get our own labor force back to work or we tax the shit out of Boeing, the folks peddling that piece of shit Dreamliner no one wants to buy, to support the new non working country.

The basics of economics, as a country becomes more prosperous, the less beneficial it is to have higher educated, more prosperous citizens producing menial product as there is no margin in it.   

Whether that change comes from automation or from importing goods from areas where it is still economically advantageous to do so.

It is not economically advantageous to produce many things here. If we are forced to through government interventionism, it will result in several possibilities. 1. Automation of manufacturing which doesn't result in the net jobs you hope and will actually pull jobs from other areas as, just like with the cotton gin, it kicks off efficiency across the board. Or 2. Higher costs to consumers resulting in across the board increases putting a strain on all economic areas- just like the forced higher healthcare costs are putting a strain on greater areas of the economy due to the ACA.

The markets should decide these things, not social engineering by do-gooder politicians.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Oh yeah? Well let's not forget what's at stake. Either we shut down the border and get our own labor force back to work

Doing what franky? Turning bolts on brand new packards? This ain't the 50s, robots will do most of that now. You gonna have Donny build a wall around the robots? Kick them out f the country?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Where does Trump get the Constitutional Authority to tax via Executive Order?

What Authority is he invoking to order a wall to be built on the Southern Border?

While Trump has done several things in the last couple days that I actually am happy about, I remain staunchly vigilant the Executive remains devoid of a dictatorship.

I don't care if Obama did likewise and worse.

We either return to the Rule of Law, or we have already become Rome at the Age of the Caesars and haven't realized it yet.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

What Authority is he invoking to order a wall to be built on the Southern Border?

While Trump has done several things in the last couple days that I actually am happy about, I remain staunchly vigilant the Executive remains devoid of a dictatorship.

We either return to the Rule of Law, or we have already become Rome at the Age of the Caesars and haven't realized it yet.

Whatever you do, don't look at the "I'm glad I set my politics aside" thread.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Hes got the 2006 wall legislation to back him on that.

For the rest of the stuff.,..Hail Caesar!!!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

The basics of economics, as a country becomes more prosperous, the less beneficial it is to have higher educated, more prosperous citizens producing menial product as there is no margin in it.   

Whether that change comes from automation or from importing goods from areas where it is still economically advantageous to do so.

It is not economically advantageous to produce many things here. If we are forced to through government interventionism, it will result in several possibilities. 1. Automation of manufacturing which doesn't result in the net jobs you hope and will actually pull jobs from other areas as, just like with the cotton gin, it kicks off efficiency across the board. Or 2. Higher costs to consumers resulting in across the board increases putting a strain on all economic areas- just like the forced higher healthcare costs are putting a strain on greater areas of the economy due to the ACA.

The markets should decide these things, not social engineering by do-gooder politicians.

So one vote for the Extermination Lottery because people doing manual labor cuts into the profit margins, hence they are a drain.

Duly noted.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Hes got the 2006 wall legislation to back him on that.

Then what's with his 20% tax on all Mexican imports?

If Congress appropriated funds to build it - then use those funds.

Provided it all did not just end up in Obama's re-election pocket.

For the rest of the stuff.,..Hail Caesar!!!

I'll neither hail nor heil.

Even if I'm pilloried and threatened with death for refusal.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

You are right.

Someone said "The poor will always be with us." To expand it crassly, so will the stupid.**

What do the citizens who are simply not capable of high education, high value work do? Sit on the dole as failures?

** Note - I'm not actually calling them stupid.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Frank Cannon

Doing what franky? Turning bolts on brand new packards? This ain't the 50s, robots will do most of that now. You gonna have Donny build a wall around the robots? Kick them out f the country?

You keep spinning that shit about robots. These Mexican plants are not anymore automated than American plants. That means there are actual Mexicans in there building stuff with their hands. The reason Domestic auto companies are building down there is specifically because of cheap labor and nothing more....

Of the 11 new car factories built in North America since 2011, nine are in Mexico. But that does not equate to cutting jobs in the US. In fact, Ford building small cars in Mexico allows the automaker to ramp up production of trucks and SUVs in the states, which is good news locally and more widely.

“They’re losing something that makes a small economic contribution, and gaining something that makes a larger one,” says Bernard Swiecki, from the Center for Automotive Research.

A report from the group shows that BMW, General Motors, Honda, Kia, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, and VW/Audi also build small cars in Mexico. It’s easy to see why. Ever-stricter US emissions and safety regulations increase manufacturing costs. Building cars where wages are lower is cheaper for automakers, and consumers.

This effect is greatest with small, inexpensive automobiles—where labor comprises a significant chunk of production costs and margins are narrow. Mexico’s free trade agreements with 44 countries make it attractive to automakers because exports aren’t subject to tariffs.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/ignore-trump-fords-move-mexico-good-us-workers/

See. These Leftists think this is all a grand idea because then the US plants can focus on building big cars that they are trying to make illegal. Why not build them here and put people to work.

BTW, what is your brilliant idea for supporting all these unemployed if automation really is taking over? You got two choices: Let them die or raise taxes on these corporations to pay for the people anyway.

Online DB

Then what's with his 20% tax on all Mexican imports?

If Congress appropriated funds to build it - then use those funds.

Provided it all did not just end up in Obama's re-election pocket.

I'll neither hail nor heil.

Even if I'm pilloried and threatened with death for refusal.

Because the 20% import tax gives the illusion of Mexico paying for it when in reality American consumers will pay for it and Trump thinks they're too stupid to know.

• Technical
You keep spinning that shit about robots. These Mexican plants are not anymore automated than American plants. That means there are actual Mexicans in there building stuff with their hands. The reason Domestic auto companies are building down there is specifically because of cheap labor and nothing more....

Of the 11 new car factories built in North America since 2011, nine are in Mexico. But that does not equate to cutting jobs in the US. In fact, Ford building small cars in Mexico allows the automaker to ramp up production of trucks and SUVs in the states, which is good news locally and more widely.

“They’re losing something that makes a small economic contribution, and gaining something that makes a larger one,” says Bernard Swiecki, from the Center for Automotive Research.

A report from the group shows that BMW, General Motors, Honda, Kia, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, and VW/Audi also build small cars in Mexico. It’s easy to see why. Ever-stricter US emissions and safety regulations increase manufacturing costs. Building cars where wages are lower is cheaper for automakers, and consumers.

This effect is greatest with small, inexpensive automobiles—where labor comprises a significant chunk of production costs and margins are narrow. Mexico’s free trade agreements with 44 countries make it attractive to automakers because exports aren’t subject to tariffs.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/ignore-trump-fords-move-mexico-good-us-workers/

See. These Leftists think this is all a grand idea because then the US plants can focus on building big cars that they are trying to make illegal. Why not build them here and put people to work.

BTW, what is your brilliant idea for supporting all these unemployed if automation really is taking over? You got two choices: Let them die or raise taxes on these corporations to pay for the people anyway.

Gee franky I thought all Mexico exported was sombreros?

• Technical
Because the 20% import tax gives the illusion of Mexico paying for it when in reality American consumers will pay for it and Trump thinks they're too stupid to know.

:thumbsup:

Offline skeeter

Assuming the American consumer has no choice but to buy Mexican stuff.

But they do have a choice.

• Technical
Assuming the American consumer has no choice but to buy Mexican stuff.

But they do have a choice.

Idiotic reply. If nobody pays the tariff how does the wall get built?

Online corbe

As has been touched on in this Thread, Revolucion' by peasants on our southern border is not something to be taken light, If you've studied Mexican History at all you'd know historically these things have never ended well for the Mexican people or the US border community.  They are just poor enough, stupid enough and certainly pi$$ed off enough to welcome a more severe form of socialism than has been experienced by most in this hemisphere.

In Mexico, gas is fueling the flames of revolt   
 January 16, 2017 2.51am EST

It is already clear that 2017 will be a difficult year for Mexico – and not just because it will (or won’t) have to pay for a “big, beautiful wall”.

On New Year’s Day, gas prices in the country jumped 14% to 20% after the Mexican government’s decision to eliminate state oil subsidies.

US politics have also unleashed what Mexico’s central bank president has described as an economic “hurricane”. Immediately after Donald Trump’s election, the Mexican peso dropped 12% against the US dollar, a sign of uncertainty about the future of Mexican exports, such as automobiles and oil.

Last week, the currency fell another 2.5% as investors grappled with potential changes in trade policy. Ford Motors, for example, has yielded to Trump’s protectionist threats, cancelling Mexican projects worth billions of dollars. Fiat Chrysler is also considering closing its Mexican factories.

The spike in fuel prices, or “gasolinazo” (gasoline blow), coupled with the weakened currency, has sparked discontent across the country.

Angry Mexicans have taken the streets in at least 25 states, blockading roads, gas stations and fuel facilities. Looting has led to thousands of arrests.

Is this just a “zero-degree protest” – Slovenian cultural critic Slavoj Žižek’s term for violent actions demanding nothing? Or, as Mexican journalist Carmen Aristegui has suggested, are we witnessing a “Mexican Spring” – a protest movement that could blossom into an organised force for political change?

Gasoline is flammable

Under the 2013 overhaul of energy laws, last year Mexico enabled the private sector to import gasoline and open service stations, realms formerly monopolised by the state-run Petróleos Mexicanos. Price controls will be gradually lifted throughout 2017.

These changes are intended to improve the competitiveness of Mexico’s economy. But today Mexicans pay for gasoline almost as much as Australians and Canadians – in a country where the daily minimum wage is currently 80 pesos (US$3.60).

The Mexican government claims that this domestic privatisation process has simply, and unfortunately, coincided with an increase in the price of international oil.

In a televised address, President Enrique Peña Nieto asked for understanding, saying that if the government hadn’t raised petrol prices, it would have been forced to cut social services.

“I ask you,” Peña Nieto said, “what would you have done?”

#WhatWouldYouHaveDone?

His question quickly became a social media meme, with thousands of Mexicans tweeting alternative solutions like “lower the president’s salary” and “Make Mexico great again”.

<..snip..>

https://theconversation.com/in-mexico-gas-is-fueling-the-flames-of-revolt-70972

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

Idiotic reply. If nobody pays the tariff how does the wall get built?

Are you serious?

How do you think Mexican businesses will react when facing the possibility of being cut off from the American market?

We have the leverage Its time we used it to our benefit.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:20:46 am by skeeter »