Author Topic: Popular Restaurant Chain Offering To Fund Planned Parenthood With Portion Of Every Sale  (Read 5906 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I had to click on this thread to see what restaurant I will no longer be eating at.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I'll continue to eat at Chili's, but I would never submit a voucher authorizing my money to go to PP.   I will also continue to eat at Chick-Fil-A.  Of the two,  Chick-Fil-A has the better food.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Silver Pines

Headline is over blown.

Chili's runs some sort of voucher that you can redeem to a charity. Planned Parenthood is one of the "Charities".

Maybe you don't agree with it but they did not go out of their way to "fund PP".

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Right. If you follow the link to the LifeNews article, it says that Chili's has a regular "Give Back Night" during which they pick a charity and issue vouchers so that customers can request to donate 15% of their meal cost, if they wish.  However, the PP promotion lasts through the end of March, so the "Night" thing is dishonest on their part. 

It also says that a Chili's in California set up a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood, but canceled it after complaints were made.  But the restaurant went ahead and made a $200 donation to PP on its own.

Offline mirraflake

This boycott crap is getting out of control from both the right and left. LLBean and New balance boycotted by the left. We boycott Chili's and other companies.

One reason my wife and I never discuss politics at our companies, never put out political signs and tell employees to watch what they say on  Facebook.

My wife wrote up a employee who is conservative because she would go out and pick political fights with liberals on FB who were our clients (and very good clients) who said they would not be back at our business. Next time she will be fired and she knows it.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:34:14 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This boycott crap is getting out of control from both the right and left. LLBean and New balance boycotted by the left. We boycott Chili's and other companies.

One reason my wife and I never discuss politics at our companies, never put out political signs and tell employees to watch what they say on  Facebook.

My wife wrote up a employee who is conservative because she would go out and pick political fights with liberals on FB who were our clients (and very good clients) who said they would not be back at our business. Next time she will be fired and she knows it.

Yes it is. I'll eat at Chili's more often.

Conservatives are becoming a bunch of babies like liberals.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

@Frank Cannon

Loved that scene.  She was thinking he was just this moronic goober wasting company money at Chili's...until he wasn't.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

You're right -- I hate that too.  The problem is that the left started it, and it will be conservative companies that suffer if we don't make an effort to help compensate for their loss of business due to leftist boycotts.

Remember Chick-Fil-A? I only started eating there after they were so unfairly attacked, which turned out to be a smart move because their food is exceptional for fast food.  And apparently, the conservative backlash actually helped their business.  But there was a backlash, and it did help.

And what about what they did with respect to acts that were considering performing at the inauguration?  They sent death threats to a blind guy to discourage him from performing.  They harassed, threatened, etc., anyone who wanted to perform.  That's completely wrong, and I wish it wasn't happening on either side.  But if they're going to do this to conservatives, is it really smart to let that war be only one way?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
But if they're going to do this to conservatives, is it really smart to let that war be only one way?

The reasoning behind every atrocity since Eden.

No thanks.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

The reasoning behind every atrocity since Eden.

No thanks.

I don't think not eating at Chili's qualifies as an atrocity, any more than returning a punch to the guy who just sucker-punched you is an "atrocity".
If there are going to be left-wing boycotts against any business that doesn't toe the line, the only hope of getting that reversed is giving it right back at them.  The truth is that one reason they have been winning the culture wars is because of the effectiveness of this social ostracism/backlash, which has effectively intimidated a lot of businesses into silence.  And the pressure on Chick-Fil-A by elected government officials is still pretty intense. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/09/chick-fil-a-new-york-city_n_5120387.html

There's never going to be a "truce" on this stuff unless both sides have something to gain by not harassing businesses.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:10:43 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline libertybele

With the prices charged for products and services these days, as a consumer I have every right to select where I want to shop and where I want to dine.  Perhaps the reason we are seeing more and more boycotts is because of the internet and social media and consumers are being made aware of what some of these companies actually stand for and where some of our money eventually goes. I dine at Chik-fil-A because they have excellent customer service, made a stand against the whole LGBT issue and have decent food for a fast food joint. I frequent Target as little as possible because of their stance on the whole LGBT issue and the transgender bathrooms.  I know longer feel welcome there and I feel uncomfortable.  The ONLY reason I shop there is because of convenience, they are 5 minutes away from my house. I refuse to hire any contractor who employs illegals.  I try to buy American made products (hard to do these days) over foreign made, even if I have to pay more.  It all boils down to it's a matter of principle.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

• Technical
I was going to post a picture of the bloomin' onion but that's outback steakhouse.  :pondering:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

The attacks on Chick-Fil-A were based on the actions of its owner as a private citizen. Chick-Fil-A itself took no stand at all, and the business was/is apolitical.  Boycotting a business simply because you don't like the politics of the owner is far more insidious/intolerant than boycotting a business that affirmatively takes a public stand as a business on a particular issue, which is what Chili's has done.

Offline libertybele

I was going to post a picture of the bloomin' onion but that's outback steakhouse.  :pondering:

I haven't eaten their in ages; the 'bloomin' onion' isn't bad but their steaks are terrible!  I do better buying Black Angus steaks from the local butcher shop and throwing them on the grill.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

• Technical
I haven't eaten their in ages; the 'bloomin' onion' isn't bad but their steaks are terrible!  I do better buying Black Angus steaks from the local butcher shop and throwing them on the grill.

After eating my uncle's prime rib and horseradish sauce, all steaks are terrible. I was spoiled and I cannot go back.

A burger will usually do.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

I don't do FB but I thought that you choose who to friend.  If it was a company FB absolutely.  But people are political.  If they choose to engage in a political conversation with someone who you are friends with on FB then that is a personal conversation.  Perhaps they should unfriend her.

Also as I said in the leading post the restaurant is free to do this and people are also free to decide where to eat.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:35:59 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I don't do FB but I thought that you choose who to friend.  If it was a company FB absolutely.  But people are political.  If they choose to engage in a political conversation with someone who you are friends with on FB then that is a personal conversation.  Perhaps they should unfriend her.

Also as I said in the leading post the restaurant is free to do this and people are also free to decide where to eat.

Well, picking political fights with customers/clients is not a good idea.  If it is costing the business customers, they have every right to protect their own interests.

Offline beandog

Yes it is. I'll eat at Chili's more often.

Conservatives are becoming a bunch of babies like liberals.
See, that's the beauty of it.  I choose not to spend my limited funds at a restaurant that thinks it's okay to donate money to a group of people who murder babies.  You get to choose to do so.  Unlike liberals I'm not asking for other people to stop going to the restaurant.  I let each person decide where their morality begins and stops. :shrug:

Offline libertybele

After eating my uncle's prime rib and horseradish sauce, all steaks are terrible. I was spoiled and I cannot go back.

A burger will usually do.

My grandfather passed quite awhile ago, but he owned a bar/store in Kansas City and made his own horseradish sauce.  I kid you not, it would clear sinus passages and make your eyes tear like nothing on the market today and that wasn't from consuming it, that was from simply very gently smelling the aroma!  I know what you mean, I was raised on Kansas City beef growing up and it does tend to spoil you ... there's a lot of crap out there these days trying to pass as quality beef.  I don't buy my beef from a chain store, I only buy from one particular butcher shop and that's it.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Well, picking political fights with customers/clients is not a good idea.  If it is costing the business customers, they have every right to protect their own interests.

I don't know the situation but I have liberal family members and if we talk politics it can get bad fast.  But I am not a fan of limiting someone's personal social media.  Any of us could be engaging in a conversation with clients on this forum and not even know it.  But a person makes a personal choice to friend people on FB.  What you are saying is that this woman cannot speak her mind on her own FB page.  Not a good idea to mix business with personal life.  I agree she should not pursue clients on FB.  I know people in my work who do FB with the owners.  I don't like FB for this reason.  If you want everyone in the company to know your business do FB with them.  But it is her personal FB
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online mountaineer

Indeed. That is the bottom line. We're still, more or less, a free country.

We pretty much go only to locally-owned restaurants. Thankfully, we have some good ones!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I had to click on this thread to see what restaurant I will no longer be eating at.

Didn't like them to begin with.  Like them even less now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Indeed. That is the bottom line. We're still, more or less, a free country.

We pretty much go only to locally-owned restaurants. Thankfully, we have some good ones!

I pretty much cull ALL chain restaurants.  Just my personal preference. 

I go to them only when invited to someone else's event.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline beandog

No, actually it IS the patrons money.  If the patron doesn't want money to go to PP, they don't bring in a flyer.  If they bring it in and spend money, they are doing with the explicit expressed intent of donating.  If I go there the same night and eat without a flyer, nothing goes to PP.  Restaurants are picky about this too.  We had a fundraiser at a local restaurant for the ROTC, and they did not allow the flyers to be distributed inside the restaurant.  Only people who brought in the flyer from outside were allowed to use it.  They do this because they want the increased traffic from people going there expressly for the charity, not just the random patron who happens to be there.  One other group was caught passing out the flyers inside and were forbidden from holding any more fundraisers at the restaurant.
It is Chili's who is taking a hit to their bottom line, not the person with the voucher.  It is Chili's who gets to take it off their taxes as a charitable donation, not the person with the voucher.  Therefore, it is Chili's who is donating the money, not the person with the voucher.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?

If you don't want your money going to PP, don't take in the voucher maybe?

Sheesh!

Chili's is trying to straddle the fence politically with this and I think it's a good solution.

So, if it was also an option for a voucher for CAIR or another terrorist front organization would you also be saying no big deal?  By putting PP on the voucher they are basically saying this is a legitimate charity to support whether the money comes out of their pocket or not and they are allowing money to flow into that organization that otherwise wouldn't be donated.

I have no problem with boycotts from both sides of the aisle.  I laughed at the left's boycott of Chic-fillet as I watched the lines grow longer, but I absolutely support the idea behind boycotts.

On the side, I also have to say that nothing irritates me more than a fence sitter.  Grrrrrrr!  I want something uncomfortable to be poking them in their sensitive regions while they straddle it!
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan