Author Topic: Trump puts EPA's ethanol program on ice  (Read 6844 times)

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Trump puts EPA's ethanol program on ice
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 05:46:17 pm »
Didn't read the whole thread but if it wasn't posted, to run modern gas in old engines (pre ethanol idiocy) you pretty much need to replace every fuel line with one alcohol comparable and rebuild the carb with an alcohol carb kit. For Holley carbs it's easy and they are easily available. I would imagine with the abundance of issues, there are simmilar kits for most mass produced carbs, whether chainsaw or car.

Your other option is to replace all your fuel line and rebuild the carb at LEAST yearly or you will end up leaking/blowing raw gas all over your engine. More frequent oil changes and a bit of oil added to the gas is also a must.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2017, 05:53:57 pm »
Didn't read the whole thread but if it wasn't posted, to run modern gas in old engines (pre ethanol idiocy) you pretty much need to replace every fuel line with one alcohol comparable and rebuild the carb with an alcohol carb kit. For Holley carbs it's easy and they are easily available. I would imagine with the abundance of issues, there are simmilar kits for most mass produced carbs, whether chainsaw or car.

Your other option is to replace all your fuel line and rebuild the carb at LEAST yearly or you will end up leaking/blowing raw gas all over your engine. More frequent oil changes and a bit of oil added to the gas is also a must.

Read up thread a little Norm!  I think we have found a cheap and efficient way to simply eliminate the problem.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2017, 06:09:46 pm »
Read up thread a little Norm!  I think we have found a cheap and efficient way to simply eliminate the problem.

You are a braver man than I. Back in NY, water in gas never ended well regardless of what we did with it. after. Condensation in the station tanks was a big seller of white gas to mitigate it. I'd be leary of trying to settle it out, to say nothing of the hassle involved.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »
One think to know is when you remove the ethanol from gasohol using water, the octane will drop around 2.5 points.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2017, 07:06:45 pm »
One think to know is when you remove the ethanol from gasohol using water, the octane will drop around 2.5 points.

@Elderberry

That surprises me!  I thought the exact opposite would occur. Would you mind explaining how removing a lower BTU per volume liquid from the equation lowers the octane rating?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:28:05 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2017, 08:22:44 pm »
Ethanol has an octane of abt 113(RON). So added to gasoline, it raises the octane of the gasoline.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:11 pm »
Low octane gasoline has a higher BTU/volume than high octane gasoline.

Wingnut

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2017, 08:56:33 pm »
Ethanol has an octane of abt 113(RON). So added to gasoline, it raises the octane of the gasoline.

Didn't Lead do that also?   Ethanol Good.  Lead Bad.   

All I know is back in the day I had find "a Guy" who had a 55 gallon drum of 110 octane Racing gas.  I'd take it home and do a 50/50 mix just to keep my 71 Pontiac 455 engine with 10.5 to 1 compression from blowing up.  Even then I had to retard the timing for daily driving.  The advance it when I was out being stupid.

Online DB

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2017, 08:57:57 pm »
That is twisting what Jesus said.

Better read up a bit more in your bible.

You're the one doing the twisting - big time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:58:13 pm by DB »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2017, 09:10:13 pm »
Didn't Lead do that also?   Ethanol Good.  Lead Bad.   

All I know is back in the day I had find "a Guy" who had a 55 gallon drum of 110 octane Racing gas.  I'd take it home and do a 50/50 mix just to keep my 71 Pontiac 455 engine with 10.5 to 1 compression from blowing up.  Even then I had to retard the timing for daily driving.  The advance it when I was out being stupid.

Good ole Tetraethyllead. It also cushioned the valves. When leaded gas went away, engines had to have hardened valve seats.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2017, 11:07:47 pm »
You're the one doing the twisting - big time.
Am not twisting anything, just reading Luke 15 and the Prodigal Son.

Since it makes no difference to Him on whether one is honest his entire life or just recently repented of his past, it sure should not make any difference to you or me.

Tough for us humans to acknowledge, but there is a lesson there.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline MOD8

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2017, 11:13:30 pm »
I believe this Thread was about the EPA. Trump. Ethanol.

404 Error-
Religiosity and Scripture

Not Found.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2017, 11:51:46 pm »

404 Error-

Not Found.

You guys are pissing off Mod 8. Knock it off!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2017, 01:44:44 am »

OK! Thanks!  Still there is something in that Octane rating calculation that is confusing me.  Alcohols have a much lower heating value per volume than c5 gasoline.  Something is not computing.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2017, 01:50:43 am »
Good ole Tetraethyllead. It also cushioned the valves. When leaded gas went away, engines had to have hardened valve seats.

Tetraethyllead does two things when added to gasoline, 1. it levels out the burn rate better than anything else known to man and 2. when burned in the combustion chamber the lead is released and provides the cushioning effect mentioned above.

I personally wish we could still use it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2017, 01:53:22 am »
Tetraethyllead does two things when added to gasoline, 1. it levels out the burn rate better than anything else known to man and 2. when burned in the combustion chamber the lead is released and provides the cushioning effect mentioned above.

I personally wish we could still use it!

I don't know what you just said...but I agree!  More cushin for the pushin

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2017, 01:58:33 am »
OK! Thanks!  Still there is something in that Octane rating calculation that is confusing me.  Alcohols have a much lower heating value per volume than c5 gasoline.  Something is not computing.

I dunno. Here, the E10 varieties are 87 and 89 octane and the No ethanol 'premium' is 91 octane. It's more expensive, but delivers a little over 10% better gas mileage than the E10 87 octane, and I haven't had fuel system problems in vehicles I use it in (or the small engines I feed it to). After replacing carbs on a snow thrower and having two weed whackers, a lawnmower, and a hedge trimmer bite the dust, I'll pay a little extra for the alcohol free fuel.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2017, 02:00:06 am »
I don't know what you just said...but I agree!  More cushin for the pushin
Yeah. I pumped Ethyl back in the day...when I wasn't working construction on the mountain in the summer.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2017, 02:10:41 am »
I dunno. Here, the E10 varieties are 87 and 89 octane and the No ethanol 'premium' is 91 octane. It's more expensive, but delivers a little over 10% better gas mileage than the E10 87 octane, and I haven't had fuel system problems in vehicles I use it in (or the small engines I feed it to). After replacing carbs on a snow thrower and having two weed whackers, a lawnmower, and a hedge trimmer bite the dust, I'll pay a little extra for the alcohol free fuel.

I wish I could buy alcohol free gasoline at anything like a reasonable price nearby but it is simply not available here short of buying avgas at the airport. I can do that but kind of feel stupid asking the guy driving that big ole truck to fill up my little five gallon can.

I'm going to buy some of the higher octane stuff we do have that contains ethanol and try the adding water and decanting trick!  What the heck! It's worth the price of a gallon just to find out.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2017, 02:10:51 am »

Octane rating is NOT based on BTU/lb or vol. It is based on the fuel's ability to withstand compression without igniting.
@Bigun
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:16:35 am by Elderberry »

Wingnut

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2017, 02:11:17 am »
Yeah. I pumped Ethyl back in the day...when I wasn't working construction on the mountain in the summer.

Man...she could lay it down!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:11:47 am by Wingnut »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2017, 02:12:09 am »

Ethyl probably wouldn't appreciate you putting her name in the street like that!   :whistle:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2017, 02:15:51 am »
Octane rating is NOT based on BTU/lb or vol. It is based on the fuel's ability to withstand compression without igniting.

OK!  NOW I remember! You know what they say! Use it or lose it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2017, 02:18:55 am »

404 Error-

Not Found.
Sorry, @MOD8 .  I got the conversation wound up again on topic to discuss ethanol but there are a couple who keep trying to divert to how dastardly someone is doing the right thing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2017, 02:41:26 am »
Man...she could lay it down!
For two bucks, you could go all weekend,  too.

C S Lewis