Author Topic: Trump puts EPA's ethanol program on ice  (Read 6840 times)

Offline jpsb

Re: Trump puts EPA's ethanol program on ice
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 06:29:47 pm »
The nearest one to me is a 100 mile round trip.

You can get good gas at wal-mart. One gallon cans, good for small (very small) engines. Try a marine supplier, they probably have good gas too.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 06:32:15 pm »
You plant corn for food and booze.  Not fuel.

888high58888
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 06:36:52 pm »
The insanity of using food for fuel while people often go hungry.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 06:37:51 pm »
How many small engines has this wrecked havoc on over the year? My guess would be millions.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 06:44:21 pm »
You can get good gas at wal-mart. One gallon cans, good for small (very small) engines. Try a marine supplier, they probably have good gas too.

I don't think that is true in Texas but I will check.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 06:45:12 pm »
Sorry, but in this he still reeks, even if he does the 'right thing'.

A "President" that has embraced the bald-faced lie as a political tactic.

Wingnut

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 06:46:09 pm »
How many small engines has this wrecked havoc on over the year? My guess would be millions.

It did killed my Tecumseh Engine in a 80's Sears Mower.

Never bothered my Briggs & Strattons of the same period.  :shrug:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 06:49:09 pm »
You plant corn for food and booze.  Not fuel.

Agreed... mostly. Let the market take care of it. In a far flung future oil may deplete to where this becomes worth it, and then hopefully they designed better engine parts that don't degrade because of ethanol. Then biofuel could indeed me a great thing, although algae is a better contender. The crap will grow in nearly any untreated standing water you leave outside in sunlight.

Offline thackney

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 06:51:44 pm »

At what price?  The almost a gallon can (110 oz) at home depot is $20.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TruSouth-TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6527206/205913140
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 06:55:33 pm »
At what price?  The almost a gallon can (110 oz) at home depot is $20.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TruSouth-TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6527206/205913140

I can go to the local (small) airport and buy avgas one hell-of-a-lot less expensively than that.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 07:14:29 pm »
I can go to the local (small) airport and buy avgas one hell-of-a-lot less expensively than that.

Personally, I use:

and a

to limit interactions with our humid air.

Also I won't let it set longer than a month without using it.  I send the unused portion through the truck and refill.

A lot less expensive and less hassle.  Still 10% ethanol, but with far less problems.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 07:31:14 pm »
Personally, I use:

and a

Also I won't let it set longer than a month without using it.  I send the unused portion through the truck and refill.

A lot less expensive and less hassle.  Still 10% ethanol, but with far less problems.

Thanks for the suggestions!   888high58888

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 08:52:23 pm »
Have you found the ethanol free stations yet in Texas? http://www.pure-gas.org/

I only occasionally use for my vehicles, but always for my 2 cycle engines and other engines.

@Hondo69

Thanks for posting that.   :patriot:

There isn't one near me but it's good to know that list exists.  On the plus side, the ethanol mandate has created a few jobs.  The small engine repair shop I've been going to for 25 years used to be a small shop with 3 employees.  Business has been booming for them the past few years.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 01:07:55 am »
Well that brings up an interesting point, doesn't it?  I know there was an argument that Trump should be judged based on whether or not he fulfills him campaign promises, but there were some of those promises we clearly don't want to be fulfilled.  How do we judge the guy then?

Take a note on what Jesus said about people similar.  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,245463.msg1204694.html#msg1204694
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 01:14:04 am »
The nearest one to me is a 100 mile round trip.

Come to think of it I suppose I could drive out to the airport and buy some avgas.
The one I use is at a feed store near my farm.  Really handy to keep filling up 5 gallon jug once per month.

Is 92 octane and costs maybe 35 cents more per gal than comparable octane with ethanol.
Keep looking, there might be some that open up.

Pure-gas is reports by consumers.
@Bigun @Hondo69
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:15:36 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 05:28:03 am »
Well that brings up an interesting point, doesn't it?  I know there was an argument that Trump should be judged based on whether or not he fulfills him campaign promises, but there were some of those promises we clearly don't want to be fulfilled.  How do we judge the guy then?

I'm in a bit of disbelief that Trump is turning into much more of a deregulator than he hinted at during the campaign.  It is yugely refreshing, but a shock nevertheless.
It is a promise I never wanted him to keep, but a peek into how he will pander to special interests when he thinks he will benefit from it. That could come around to bite us.

Considering he made the promise in Iowa shortly (hours) after Branstad had his hissy fit about Cruz' saying he would get rid of the mandate (Branstad called for Cruz to be defeated, "whatever it takes"), I figured he was toadying up to the Iowa GOP machine (Branstad was governor, Branstad's son an Ethanol industry lobbyist).

But to promise to "use the EPA to the fullest extent of the law" was a deal breaker for me. My career has been spent on oil drilling rigs, and I have seen plenty of federal lunacy when it comes to regulations. The EPA's war on fraccing is a fine example.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 05:31:25 am »
Personally, I use:

and a

I read somewhere where a guy was mixing his ethanol laced gas with water, then letting the water settle out (with the alcohol dissolved in it) to get no ethanol fuel. I haven't tried it, I can get 91 octane ethanol-free for about $2.80 a gallon locally.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

HonestJohn

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 06:35:08 am »
Too many look at past actions and/or talk instead of what one must do: look at present actions.

Sooo... you are saying that one should *NOT* use past precedence as a guide for future actions?

You'd better have a *REALLY* convincing argument on that.

Online DB

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 07:19:39 am »

I'm in a bit of disbelief that Trump is turning into much more of a deregulator than he hinted at during the campaign.  It is yugely refreshing, but a shock nevertheless.

If you call 20% tariffs "deregulation"...

Online DB

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2017, 07:21:34 am »
Take a note on what Jesus said about people similar.  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,245463.msg1204694.html#msg1204694

So in your world, you can lie all you want as a means to do the "right thing"... Wow...

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2017, 02:18:17 pm »
I read somewhere where a guy was mixing his ethanol laced gas with water, then letting the water settle out (with the alcohol dissolved in it) to get no ethanol fuel. I haven't tried it, I can get 91 octane ethanol-free for about $2.80 a gallon locally.

Hadn't thought of that! Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Especially if you strained it through a chamois.  Assuming you can still find a real one of those that is.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 02:46:49 pm »
Sooo... you are saying that one should *NOT* use past precedence as a guide for future actions?

You'd better have a *REALLY* convincing argument on that.
I never said that.

I stated which is more important in your world, present actions or past words/actions?

God loves a repentant sinner just as much as a man who has been honest his entire life.

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2017, 02:47:55 pm »
So in your world, you can lie all you want as a means to do the "right thing"... Wow...
That is twisting what Jesus said.

Better read up a bit more in your bible.

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2017, 02:54:32 pm »

@Smokin Joe - found that thread for you.  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,212995.msg938965.html#msg938965

contact @Elderberry for the details.

@Bigun

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2017, 03:06:52 pm »
@Smokin Joe - found that thread for you.  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,212995.msg938965.html#msg938965

contact @Elderberry for the details.

@Bigun

Thanks!  The instant I saw this mentioned above I knew it was a good idea and have no idea why I hadn't thought of it before!

Alcohol and water is an azeotropic mixture that cannot be easily separated. I will use this method for any fuel intended for my small engines.

- J. R. R. Tolkien