Author Topic: Mexico ready to quit NAFTA if US talks fail  (Read 2189 times)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Mexico ready to quit NAFTA if US talks fail
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 12:47:29 am »
What trade deficits are you referring to?   The traditional measure used basically fixates (I would say fetishizes) trade in tangible property - televisions, commodities, etc - but completely ignores services and investment capital flows.  For example, a lot of foreigners come to the US and pay a lot of money to attend US universities.   That is just as much a matter of international trade - trading educational services, exporting trained brains, if you will - but those billions don't make it into the traditional balance of trade measures.  In fact, the US runs a high trade surplus in education services. 

Focusing on the balance of trade in industrial goods is antediluvian and yet that is what Trump focuses on.  Get real and come into the 21st Century, and the trade deficit Trump whines about goes away.

As far as your point on education, a lot of illegal foreigners come to attend our universities on the taxpayers dime, and I believe there is a growing trend for Chinese and others to vacation in America just in time to drop a little citizen who then goes home until it's time for their university education at the much lower rate. Otherwise I'm with you. ^-^

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 12:32:14 pm »
I run a huge trade deficit with my local grocery store too, it's just so unfair.

Better renegotiate for higher prices.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 12:33:00 pm »
I run a huge trade deficit with my local grocery store too, it's just so unfair.

So does Bill Gates most likely. He'll go broke because of it.

Offline CSM

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 09:02:47 pm »
Maybe because we've consistently run about a $60 billion per year trade deficit with Mexico, to pick one major partner.

If the US is harmed by that relationship, shouldn't Mexico be rewarded in a manner that would make them better off than we are?