Author Topic: Oscar Nominations 2017: 14 for ‘La La Land,’ and 6 for Black Actors  (Read 1677 times)

Wingnut

The Academy goes "Affirmative action" this year to make up for the previous two years, when the academy put forward all-white rosters of acting nominees, voters chose the largest number of black candidates ever.

LOS ANGELES — Oscar voters showered the neo-musical “La La Land” with 14 nominations on Tuesday, a tie with “Titanic” and “All About Eve” for the most in Academy Award history. But the academy also moved past two #OscarsSoWhite years by honoring six black actors — a record — and including diverse films like “Moonlight,” “Fences” and “Hidden Figures” in the best picture race.

[ The list of nominees | Where to stream them | Who got snubbed? ]

Nine movies will compete for Hollywood’s top prize, including several box-office hits. Joining “La La Land” and “Moonlight” (eight nominations total), “Fences” (four), and “Hidden Figures” (three) in the best picture race were “Arrival,” a science-fiction thriller; the cops-and-robbers drama “Hell or High Water”; the subtitled tear-jerker “Lion”; “Manchester by the Sea,” about a mournful New England handyman; and “Hacksaw Ridge,” Mel Gibson’s true story of World War II heroism.

more:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/movies/oscar-nominations-2017.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:55:28 pm by Wingnut »

Offline chae

Re: Oscar Nominations 2017: 14 for ‘La La Land,’ and 6 for Black Actors
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:01:04 pm »
Surprised that Taraji Henson didn't get a nod. 
Annoyed that they are making such a big deal out of the race of the actors.  So when  a black person wins, my knee-jerk reaction will be "but did they deserve it or is it white guilt?"
All because Jada Pinkett Smith was butthurt that Will didn't get nominated for the crappy "concussion" movie.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:42 pm »
So, They've welcomed Mel Gibson back after his anti-semitic remarks?

His film has been nominated for a bunch and he himself is up for Best Director.

Apparently that was not a career-ender...

Offline chae

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:04:24 pm »
Roman Polanski showed us that sexual assault is ok as well.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:09:55 pm »
So now the Hispanics and the Gays will bitch that not enough of them were nominated.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:42:32 pm »
I haven't seem any of the nominated movies.  Do people still go to the theater?  The last time I went was to IMAX to see some movie my adult son wanted to watch and had me tag along.  I can't even remember what it was, but I do remember I kept covertly looking at my watch hoping for the movie to end soon.

I saw Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge. Definitely an inspiring movie. They still make good movies nowadays, and making them about noble men who are devout CHRISTIANS and portraying them positively. Although these are few and far between.

It is  based on the real story of Desmond Doss, a Seventh Day Adventist who opposed taking up arms to kill. Nevertheless, he enlisted as a medic in World War II and saved the lives of over 75 men ( including enemies ).

He was the first conscientious objector to receive the Medal of Honor for actions above and beyond the call of duty. He is also the only conscientious objector to receive the medal during World War II.

The above film earned 6 Oscar nominations with Mel Gibson as best director and Andrew Garfield as best actor.

Too bad, Doss died 10 years ago at age 87. too early to have missed the film about his life.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:54:16 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 05:46:13 pm »
I haven't seem any of the nominated movies.  Do people still go to the theater?  The last time I went was to IMAX to see some movie my adult son wanted to watch and had me tag along.  I can't even remember what it was, but I do remember I kept covertly looking at my watch hoping for the movie to end soon.

Might as well send a check directly to the DNC....it's the same thing.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 05:47:13 pm »

I don't Go anymore.  Too much riff-raff in those places these days.  Ruins the atmosphere and the experience.

Your resident old fuddy duddy has spoken!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 05:49:38 pm »
Who the hell cares. Hardly anyone I know goes to see movies anymore because they are all pretentious crap. Over the last year the only movie I went to see was Office Christmas Party because I knew it wouldn't preach to me about some nonsense.

debrawiest

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:53:51 pm »
Hacksaw Ridge is a phenomenal movie.  I'd highly recommend seeing it.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:04:51 pm »
Hacksaw Ridge is a phenomenal movie.  I'd highly recommend seeing it.

I will.  When it hits "Video On Demand"! ^-^

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 07:41:33 pm »
I don't Go anymore.  Too much riff-raff in those places these days.  Ruins the atmosphere and the experience.

Your resident old fuddy duddy has spoken!
I'm with you, and if it isn't the inconsiderate self entitled mooks, the volume in the theaters is just insane and I've already lost enough of my hearing.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 07:52:22 pm »
Hacksaw Ridge does look interesting. We recently saw Patriots Day (my thread about it).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline chae

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 07:57:01 pm »
I saw Rogue One in the theater and it was really good!  Planning on going to see the new Resident Evil movie this weekend.  I've seen every other resident evil movie on opening day, so I can't break with tradition.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 03:42:56 pm »
Let the whining begin.
Constance Wu Says Casey Affleck’s Potential Oscar Win 'Will Be a Nod to Trump's'
Bobby Finger
Today 9:35am

Constance Wu, who is “mom” on ABC’s delightful Fresh Off the Boat and in our hearts, had a lot to say about Casey Affleck’s Oscar nomination (and, let’s face it, probable win) after the Academy’s big announcement Tuesday morning. In a series of tweets (that she has not deleted, by the way) she sounded off on allegations that the actor sexually harassed and physically intimidated women several years ago, writing:

Men who sexually harass women 4 OSCAR! Bc good acting performance matters more than humanity, human integrity! Bc poor kid rly needs the help! Boys! BUY ur way out of trouble by settling out of court! Just do a good acting job, thats all that matters! bc Art isn’t about humanity, right?

(Wu is referencing the fact that Affleck settled the case out of court.) ...
More at Jezebel, including her incoherent Twitter reference to Trump.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 03:50:30 pm »
I saw Rogue One in the theater and it was really good!

We saw it several days after Carrie Fisher died. When the young Princess Leia appeared at the end we heard several people crying as we were leaving.

The movie really did tie in the very first Star Wars movie.

@chae

Online mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 03:54:36 pm »
I haven't seen a single Star Wars movie, but I can understand how the appearance of young Princess Leia was so moving to Rogue One viewers. Sad bit of timing there!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 08:48:49 am »
Apparently, my step-daughters and their husbands believe 99% of movies cranked out by Hollyweird today are brilliant.  My own view is that 99% today are dreadful. I've had to sit through some real stinkers while keeping my smart-a** mouth shut just to be pleasant when the younguns visit. We have HBO and Showtime but only watch a small pct. of their offerings. I'd rather watch old movies on TCM.
Today's flicks are afflicted with too much p.c., foul language,  and special effects. Smoking dope is taken for granted. My wife and I were watching one movie set in New York about young businessmen, and in one early scene as two young businessmen are taking a break during work, one offers the other man a toke on a joint which he happily accepts. We turned the movie off at that point.
We're just out of the loop I guess....too old and in the way.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 10:19:13 am »
Arrival is worth watching.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

debrawiest

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 10:16:08 pm »
We saw Hidden Figures last night. Friday night date night, don'cha know.  It was ok; enjoyable and a little predictable.