Author Topic: Ophthalmology expert offers tips to help relieve seasonal dry eye  (Read 1069 times)

rangerrebew

Ophthalmology expert offers tips to help relieve seasonal dry eye
Published on January 20, 2017 at 7:17 PM · No Comments

If your eyes feel like the Sahara desert or your vision seems blurrier than usual, don't panic. It may just be seasonal dry eye.

"The most common type of dry eye is evaporative dry, which is often worse in the wintertime," said Michelle D. Patel, M.D., assistant professor of ophthalmology at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.

"It is caused by inflammation on the eyelids (blepharitis), leading to a poor tear film and quicker evaporation of tears, the eyes' natural moisturizer. Winter can make it worse because the air is dry and heaters are on. Symptoms can include blurry and fluctuating vision, a gritty feeling like sand in your eyes, and even excess tearing."

Patel offers these tips to help relieve seasonal dry eye:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20170120/Ophthalmology-expert-offers-tips-to-help-relieve-seasonal-dry-eye.aspx
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:15:52 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Re: Ophthalmology expert offers tips to help relieve seasonal dry eye
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 05:23:36 am »
@Unlimited

Eye ointment or gel (e.g., Refresh Liquigel) can be helpful at night, as they last longer. They aren't as good for daytime use, as you can't see well with them in your eyes.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 05:37:50 am »
Keep your eyes hydrated....

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:25:49 am »
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:26:19 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:33:14 pm »
Thanks for the tip @Suppressed  I have used Refresh in the past and it did affect my vision, but it was VERY soothing.  I switched to systane because it did not make my world blurrier than it already is.  It didn't occur to me to use Refresh at night.  LOL  Sometimes I am amazed at my stupidity.   888high58888

Nah.  We're all fumbling our way through things, learning from each other!  888high58888
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn