Author Topic: George Will dumps on Trump’s inaugural speech, calls his speech 'Dreadful'  (Read 7329 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@beandog @Right_in_Virginia @Bigun

So, gentlemen.... This is how you and yours ruined TOS: by turning it into an echo chamber where any word or thought against your ideas, or your heroes of the day, was heretical.

@r9etb

ROFLMAO! Has there even by any time with TOS wasn't an echo chamber for bleeting sheep,ran by a pack of sheepherders? It was already like that the day I signed up over there in 1998.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:55:19 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline flowers

And He is NOT alone!  The inside the beltway crowd is buying by the gallon!
Bwahaha! 

Online libertybele

Actually, I'm beginning to become very good a tuning out the fake stream media. I am already sick to death of people insulting our new President and still acting like Bammy was the best thing that ever happened to this country.  I was never so glad to see someone board a helicopter as I was him ... good riddance!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline beandog

Because it matters how you go about getting those results.
Sorry, I don't agree.  Short of breaking the law I don't care how him comes to the correct conclusion.  You sound just like Math teachers I used to have.  Even if I had the correct answer they wanted me to show I used their formula, not my own, to get the answer.  I always thought that was stupid. :shrug:

Offline beandog

Actually, I'm beginning to become very good a tuning out the fake stream media. I am already sick to death of people insulting our new President and still acting like Bammy was the best thing that ever happened to this country.  I was never so glad to see someone board a helicopter as I was him ... good riddance!
Seriously, how often did Will call the crooked Bamster's speeches "dreadful".  I am at least willing to wait until he actually does something "dreadful" to call it dreadful.

Offline Hoodat

I read Will's column in today's WaPo which completed the trifecta of anti-Trump editorials on their editorial page.  George Will has gone full liberal.

Trump's speech spoke to the heart of a nation that exists beyond the Beltway.  Will should visit it some time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:50:07 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

You put a tariff on Chinese goods, who will pay that? American workers, how does that help them?

What happens when they put a tariff on our exports to china?

You're as economically ignorant as your boy king Trump. And he will destroy the economy.

Manufacturers will charge what the market will bear, regardless of the cost to manufacture, as long as its adequately profitable just like they do today.

If they don't the competition will.

Why does it have to be all one way or the other - totally free vs totally protectionist? Being an absolutist about virtually any subject just makes one wrong at least half the time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:56:34 pm by skeeter »

Offline r9etb

Referencing Mussolini is also violation of Godwin's Law.

Ah, I see. 

So what else am I supposed to make of your claim that all you care about is results?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I read Will's column in today's WaPo which completed the trifecta of anti-Trump editorials on their editorial page.  George Will has gone full liberal.

Trump's speech spoke to the heart of a nation that exists beyond the Beltway.  Will should visit it some time.

True. Will and several other old media "characters," are witnessing their relevance slip away. Most conservatives are onboard with Trump's emphasis on RESULTS, not mere rhetoric.

Plus direct delivery of information from the sources, leaves them redundant, as "interpreters" of said info. Most things that need saying, can be done with 140 characters.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline r9etb

Most things that need saying, can be done with 140 characters.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made thro

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rig

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the c

Well, maybe many things.  But a lot of the most important stuff is worth taking the time and effort to use just a few more characters.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:43:49 pm by r9etb »

Online DB

Most things that need saying, can be done with 140 characters.
Only for the simple minded.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Manufacturers will charge what the market will bear, regardless of the cost to manufacture, as long as its adequately profitable just like they do today.

If they don't the competition will.

@skeeter

Seems so obvious it shouldn't even have to be mentioned,doesn't it?

I guess most people today under 50 are just so used to government meddling in prices by taxing some items,barring others,and even subsidizing some things with state and feral money,the whole idea of the market establishing the price is foreign to them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:14:04 am by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
True. Will and several other old media "characters," are witnessing their relevance slip away. Most conservatives are onboard with Trump's emphasis on RESULTS, not mere rhetoric.

@truth_seeker

And why wouldn't we be after getting nothing BUT rhetoric ever since Reagan left office and that evil bastard Poppy Bush took over?

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

Seems so obvious it shouldn't even happen to be mentioned,doesn't it?

I guess most people today under 50 are just so used to government meddling in prices by taxing some items,barring others,and even subsidizing some things with state and feral money,the whole idea of the market establishing the price is foreign to them.

Bottom line - it is foolish to believe that a subject as multifaceted and complex as an economy the size of our's can be approached in such a doctrinaire manner.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made thro

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rig

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the c

Well, maybe many things.  But a lot of the most important stuff is worth taking the time and effort to use just a few more characters.

Elegantly done.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Synthesist

"George Will dumps on Trump’s inaugural speech, calls his speech 'Dreadful' "

Hey George, do you think that President Hillary Clinton's inaugural speech would have been better???

Sometimes, if you don't have anything good to say, it's best to just STFU!

BTW, dem Sen Schumer's speech at the inaugural was absolutely despicable. It was more than "dreadful", dredging up the darkest part of US history: the Civil War. Why did he do that? It looked like a thinly veiled "call to arms" for the dems to engage in CWII to fight Trump and Republicans, even if it leads to bloodshed...

And who is the dumbass that invited Schumer to speak at Trump's inaugural anyway? :shrug: 
#BlueLivesMatter
#AllLivesMatter - especially the unborn...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This has been brought up before but, in something like 1980, 85, journalists and editorialists like Will ruled the roost.

Their views matter.

Then Rush comes and talk radio, then Satellite news comes; and it just added 10-fold to the people one might listen to for opinions, views and so on. Talk radio of course, has been around well before Rush but he revitalized the industry; and Conservatism IMHO.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline skeeter

"George Will dumps on Trump’s inaugural speech, calls his speech 'Dreadful' "

Hey George, do you think that President Hillary Clinton's inaugural speech would have been better???

Considering George is most comfortable around beltway insiders and establishment types theres no doubt he does.

Offline dfwgator

Same here @libertybele

I became so sick of the whining I had to take a vacation from this site before I said something I regretted here.  I am under no illusion that our POTUS will do everything as I wish he would do.  I fully expect him to do some things that are going to upset me greatly, but whatever he does in totality will be so much better than the Democrats that I am extremely grateful that he won.

If Trump does nothing more than insure a Conservative Majority in the SCOTUS for the next 30 years, it will all be worth it.

Offline Hoodat

Referencing Mussolini is also violation of Godwin's Law.

@r9etb

People who reference Godwin's Law are just like Hitler.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline r9etb

@r9etb

People who reference Godwin's Law are just like Hitler.

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I find it funny, in the recent comments view, we have two back to back threads.

George Will dumps on Trump's Inaugural Speech...
Jesse Jackson praises Trump's Inaugural Speech...

Guess which side is the villain and which is the hero.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

You put a tariff on Chinese goods, who will pay that? American workers, how does that help them?

What happens when they put a tariff on our exports to china?

You're as economically ignorant as your boy king Trump. And he will destroy the economy.

He's not my 'Boy King'. He's what we've got, and I'm not going to invest my day putting on airs that I'm better than him.
i.

What's it take? Do I have to post a 'Well yeah' BUT (insert anti Trump rant) as an olive branch preceding an observation that I Agree with him on something? It's either Bash Trump or I'm Ignorant?

Truly fixing this economy is going to take drastic cuts in the Corporate Income Tax. (Which he has mentioned doing. It's wait and see if he does.)

My 'Economic Ignorance' must have me assuming that the American Consumers you've mentioned aren't the marks paying that one.

Or perhaps I really am, That Ignorant.

It's the Corporations and their Stockholders who actually Pay those taxes themselves, rather than tack them onto the price of their goods and services, . . . and PASS THEM THROUGH to the chump on the buying end.

At over 35 pct. Right?

As for China, I don't want us doing Any Trade with them. Nothing. There isn't a single thing they produce we can't manufacture right here.

Totalitarian Communist Regimes cannot support themselves without a steady influx of western capital.

Cut it off.

Did you read beyond the opening paragraph of the China Trade Paper?

"U.S. goods exports in 2014 were $124
.0 billion, up 1.9 percent from the previous year.  China is currently
the third largest export market for U.S. goods.  Corr
esponding U.S. imports from China were $466.7 billion,
up 6.0 percent.  The U.S. goods trade deficit with
 China was $342.6 billion in 2014, an increase of $23.9
billion from 2013. "

Did you read the submarine link?

We're not doing business with the Chinese people. We're funding the Chi-Com Party and Chi-Com Military.

They're investing our money in nuclear subs with missiles to reach our shores.

You want to tell this 'Economic Ignorant' how That helps the American Worker?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
At least he listened to it..that's more than I can say I did :shrug:
Same here. Actions speak louder than words. The next year will be very telling.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour