Author Topic: George Will dumps on Trump’s inaugural speech, calls his speech 'Dreadful'  (Read 7292 times)

Offline r9etb

Nobody says you have to like the guy personally.   All I care about is results.

Indeed.  If the trains run on time, who could possibly complain?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
True.  Trump uses Twitter for that.

Yeah you know, because Trump is so above the fray. He doesn't feel the need to answer every single slight, like if someone insults the steaks at his Manhattan restaurant or makes fun of him on SNL. Trump has thick skin.

Offline r9etb

Will is an arrogant, elitist putz.  He always has been and he always will be.

And I refuse to read his drivel!

You took the words right off my keyboard!   

@beandog @Right_in_Virginia @Bigun

So, gentlemen.... This is how you and yours ruined TOS: by turning it into an echo chamber where any word or thought against your ideas, or your heroes of the day, was heretical.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

So, gentlemen.... This is how you and yours ruined TOS: by turning it into an echo chamber where any word or thought against your ideas, or your heroes of the day, was heretical.

WRONG!!!

As I understand it you are free to express any opinion you choose here but no one is compelled to agree with it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline beandog

I have no clue what you're talking about.  I didn't ruin the TOS, I got tossed from the other site.  It is people like you who runied the other site by thinking I have to have the same opinion as you.  I don't like George Will, never have.  You want to like him, feel free.  Didn't say you couldn't.  Just stating my opinion of the man.  Sorry that upsets you.

By the way, it's gentlewoman to you. **nononono*

Offline r9etb

WRONG!!!

As I understand it you are free to express any opinion you choose here but no one is compelled to agree with it!

True.  But I was referring to the figurative "hands to the ears 'lalalalala I can't hear you!'" that you fellows were expressing: it's exactly the same mindset that ruined TOS as anything except an echo chamber.  Will says something you don't like. "lalalalal!!!"

Offline r9etb

I have no clue what you're talking about.  I didn't ruin the TOS, I got tossed from the other site.  It is people like you who runied the other site by thinking I have to have the same opinion as you.  I don't like George Will, never have.  You want to like him, feel free.  Didn't say you couldn't.  Just stating my opinion of the man.  Sorry that upsets you.

By the way, it's gentlewoman to you. **nononono*

Well, ma'am, sorry to mistake you for a man.  I never can tell from the internet.

The funny thing is, I got kicked off too, for expressing a contrary opinion.  I wasn't saying you had to agree with Mr. Will; however, the echo chamber that TOS became was precisely because people attacked the messenger (whether it was George Will, or Ted Cruz, or whomever) once they strayed from the safe opinions that were at odds with the status quo of the site.

You're attacking the messenger -- refusing to even discuss what he said.  Why?  I couldn't say.  But I will say that the decline of TOS began in earnest when the "the guy's an idiot/putz/elitist/etc so I won't read him" attitude became the standard response on any thread that ran counter to the "received wisdom."

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
True.  But I was referring to the figurative "hands to the ears 'lalalalala I can't hear you!'" that you fellows were expressing: it's exactly the same mindset that ruined TOS as anything except an echo chamber.  Will says something you don't like. "lalalalal!!!"

I have read enough of what George will writes to understand that I need no longer waste my time reading it!  THAT is an opinion BTW!  You don't have to agree with it!  Read him all you like!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SirLinksALot

Italians under Mussolini?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
I heard America first rah rah rah.

Economic ignorance.

If Trump follows through it will create a trade war. Bad things will happen.

I hope he doesn't follow through.

"Start" a trade war?

We are already IN a major, losing, trade war with China and Japan and getting mugged, beaten, robbed and ruined by our complete failure to do Anything about it except scream Trade War, Trade War, The Sky Will Fall.

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/reports/2015/NTE/2015%20NTE%20China.pdf

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/reports/2015/NTE/2015%20NTE%20Japan.pdf

Since any business in China worth owning is SOE (State Owned Entity) have a look at what the Chinese State is doing with the money We send them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/secret-new-hump-back-chinese-9609304#ICID=sharebar_twitter

And as for George Will, I wouldn't cross the street to extinguish him with a bodily fluid if he were on fire.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:09:50 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline r9etb

I have read enough of what George will writes to understand that I need no longer waste my time reading it!  THAT is an opinion BTW!  You don't have to agree with it!  Read him all you like!

If you're not gonna read him, why did you feel the need to tell us so on a thread about what George Will said? Wouldn't silence work just as well?

If you want to discuss what he said, fine.  But just showing up to say bad things about him, and that you won't read his stuff, seems a little off....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:10:44 pm by r9etb »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

"Start" a trade war?

We are already IN a major, losing, trade war with China and Japan and getting mugged, beaten, robbed and ruined by our complete failure to do Anything about it except scream Trade War, Trade War, The Sky Will Fall.

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/reports/2015/NTE/2015%20NTE%20China.pdf

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/reports/2015/NTE/2015%20NTE%20Japan.pdf

Since any business in China worth owning is SOE (State Owned Entity) have a look at what the Chinese State is doing with the money We send them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/secret-new-hump-back-chinese-9609304#ICID=sharebar_twitter

You put a tariff on Chinese goods, who will pay that? American workers, how does that help them?

What happens when they put a tariff on our exports to china?

You're as economically ignorant as your boy king Trump. And he will destroy the economy.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If you're not gonna read him, why did you feel the need to tell us so on a thread about what George Will said? Wouldn't silence work just as well?

If you want to discuss what he said, fine.  But just showing up to say bad things about him, and that you won't read his stuff, seems a little off....

I responded to a poster who opined the Will was having a hard time dealing with reality, an opinion which I agree with, and it took off from there.  I do see your point however.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline r9etb

"Start" a trade war?

We are already IN a major, losing, trade war with China and Japan and getting mugged, beaten, robbed and ruined by our complete failure to do Anything about it except scream Trade

And as for George Will, I wouldn't cross the street to extinguish him with a bodily fluid if he were on fire.

It's interesting that your user name, 'To-Whose-Benefit', should be taken from the Latin, Cui Bono: "the idea that the responsibility for an act can usually be determined by asking who stands to gain as a result of the act."

So consider: when Trump says stuff like this, to whose benefit does he say it?

It would be difficult to believe he's acting out of the goodness of his heart: his entire public record doesn't support the idea.

So I ask you: to whose benefit does he say these things?

Offline beandog

Well, ma'am, sorry to mistake you for a man.  I never can tell from the internet.

The funny thing is, I got kicked off too, for expressing a contrary opinion.  I wasn't saying you had to agree with Mr. Will; however, the echo chamber that TOS became was precisely because people attacked the messenger (whether it was George Will, or Ted Cruz, or whomever) once they strayed from the safe opinions that were at odds with the status quo of the site.

You're attacking the messenger -- refusing to even discuss what he said.  Why?  I couldn't say.  But I will say that the decline of TOS began in earnest when the "the guy's an idiot/putz/elitist/etc so I won't read him" attitude became the standard response on any thread that ran counter to the "received wisdom."
I got tossed, or at least put on permanent suspension, because I didn't support the Donald.  I'm not going to start supporting someone I don't agree with, ie George Will, now just because he doesn't like the Donald.  I don't agree with George Will's article.  I thought the speech was fine as speeches go.  I'm not big on what somebody says in a speech anyway.  I'm much more interested in what a person does.  Speeches are just words.  I think Will's just being super critical because he has his panties in a wad.  The article was unhelpful and unnecessary except to Will's ego.

I have know problem being critical of Pres. the Donald when there is something to be critical of.  His speech is not one of them.  Do I like him or trust him, no I don't.  I'm still going to wait and see what he actually does. :shrug:

Offline montanajoe

At least he listened to it..that's more than I can say I did :shrug:

Offline r9etb

I have no problem being critical of Pres. the Donald when there is something to be critical of.  His speech is not one of them.  Do I like him or trust him, no I don't.  I'm still going to wait and see what he actually does. :shrug:

Fair enough.  I'm withholding judgment on him as well.  But an inaugural speech is meant to set both the tone and direction of a presidency, and what I got from Trump's speech I did not like at all (my reasons given above).  If that's the tone and direction of Trump's presidency, it's not a good tone, or a good direction.

Offline DB

Nobody says you have to like the guy personally.   All I care about is results.

Gee, that sounds an awful lot like the ends justifies the means. Perhaps you should study up on how that goes - all for the greater good and all.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:39:12 pm by DB »

Offline beandog

Gee, that sounds an awful lot like the ends justifies the means. Perhaps you should study up on how that goes - all for the greater good and all.
I don't get that at all.  I don't have to like someone to agree with something they do.  If he does what's right for this country that's a good thing.  Does it mean I'm going to like him, probably not.

Offline DB

I don't get that at all.  I don't have to like someone to agree with something they do.  If he does what's right for this country that's a good thing.  Does it mean I'm going to like him, probably not.

Because it matters how you go about getting those results.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
George Will is having a hard time coming to grips with reality.

@Unlimited

He's turned into a fussy old woman,ranting and raving about "those damn kids!"

Even back when he made sense he was no more than a 2 dollar William Buckley.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Of course statists and their hangers-on see nothing wrong with the current condition of the nation - their place in it is assured and only getting stronger.

But there is no doubt that schools are producing more ignorant students relative to their predecessors, that wages have been stagnant for decades, that more and more citizens depend upon the government for sustenance, that the country is becoming a balkanized collection of tribes.

Its all by design to benefit the few that pull the strings. The same folks that see nothing wrong with the country the way its evolved.

@skeeter

BINGO! As relates to the people of this country,the elitist plan is "United they stand,but if we keep them divided,they will fall."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
George Will, Chris Matthews and #nevertrumps

Three peas from the same pod, here on their tiny podium

@truth_seeker

:beer:

Offline dfwgator

Referencing Mussolini is also violation of Godwin's Law.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I heard America first rah rah rah.

Economic ignorance.

If Trump follows through it will create a trade war. Bad things will happen.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

You prefer the "Trade Surrender for personal profits" we have had ever since Reagan left office?